Spyder Garage

Default Headlamp Choices

My '14 RT-S blew a headlamp at Americade. Before I pull it apart and replace both bulbs, I'd like to know if any of you have had any success with getting the dealer to replace the lamps under warranty.

If not, I'd like to hear your real world experience with the options we now have like LEDs, HID, and Xeon. I don't want to modify the socket, melt a housing, or melt connectors or wiring.

Both my riding buddy and I had a stock bulb fail at three years. Has anyone done better with one of the alternatives? Please refrain from trumpeting your selection as "the best" unless it has been demonstrated to provide more light for as long or longer than the stock lamps without damaging the electrical system. Thanks in advance.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

Bulbs wear out. On a '14 you're three years into your Spyder. Changing them is an easy procedure shown in the owner's manual (pg. 152-154). You need an HB3 bulb, or 9005, same bulb, different number. Replace both of them at the same time. Why? If one has gone the other won't be far behind. Don't ask how I know. MOST IMPORTANT: buy them from an autoparts store. Why? They come in sealed individual packages. That prevents the dealer's part guy from taking one out of its box and handing it to you with his greasy paw thereby substantially shortening the life of the bulb. They're also less expensive from the autoparts store.

Do be aware if you're going to change them yourself there are two possible positions for the adjustment cable, marked HB and LB. Make certain you put the cable back in its original hole. The holes on mine were also marked with a white or yellow crayon.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Go for the LED bulbs. Lamonster Garage is probably best.

GO for the LED BULBS. LAMONSTER GARAGE is probably the best.

GO FOR THE LED BULBS. LAMONSTER GARAGE IS PROBABLY THE BEST.

Did I explain my opinion clearly ???
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default LEDs

If you are going to the trouble, upgrade to the LEDs. Much brighter, last longer! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Have a look on ebay, you will be able to get a set of direct fit LED builbs for just over $50.

Spyder Garage

Default LED Headlights

My high bead on the left burned out. After trying for three days to get the bulb out. I ordered the LED headlights from Lamonster for my 2013 ST and upon receipt, I had Mission Motorsports install them. They were able to install them rather quickly. They did a wonderful job.

New LED Headlights for Spyder 2017-05-23 001.jpg
    2013 ST , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HIGH BEAM

Quote Originally Posted by djhobin View Post
    My high bead on the left burned out. After trying for three days to get the bulb out. I ordered the LED headlights from Lamonster for my 2013 ST and upon receipt, I had Mission Motorsports install them. They were able to install them rather quickly. They did a wonderful job.

New LED Headlights for Spyder 2017-05-23 001.jpg
    To the best of my knowledge on Spyders in North America .... there is no High beam / Low beam in the usual sense ..... We have a single filament bulb and High / Low is created by the SHUTTER mechanism ........ Sooooooooo when you say your HIGH BEAM burned out you still had LIGHT coming from the Left side ?????? ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you find that the connection has melted you may be able to get replacement under warranty. I had one of mine do that and the dealer replaced it.

And if you replace it yourself remember what JayBros said about the adjuster cable. There should be a wax pencil marking that will indicate which hole you run it through.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default High Beam Burn out

To Mike, on the 2013 ST, it does not have the shutter system. The high beam did burn out. I still had the low beam available. The right side headlight still had the High beam available. I drove the Spyder with both low beams on until I had them replaced.

Dennis
    2013 ST , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the ones from TricLEDs, but Lamont's are just as good!
    I'd hate to bet my life on the difference between them!

Get the fog-lights also... In for a penny: in for the whole dang pound!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default SHUTTER SYSTEM

To Mike, on the 2013 ST, it does not have the shutter system. The high beam did burn out. I still had the low beam available. The right side headlight still had the High beam available. I drove the Spyder with both low beams on until I had them replaced.

Dennis
    Very interesting, The EU system has the high /low for ALL their Spyders ..... I wonder why the ST is different ???? .... Thanks for this info ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Lamont's vs. Tricled's

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've got the ones from TricLEDs, but Lamont's are just as good!
    I'd hate to bet my life on the difference between them!

Get the fog-lights also... In for a penny: in for the whole dang pound!
    Bob, I think Lamont's has a higher LUMEN rating ........which should make them brighter ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know...
    Stand in front of both brands of light, and tell me if you can see the difference.
    (I did, and I couldn't!)
    There's often more to it, than just lumens...
    How hot do they get? (Do more lumens create more heat? How is it dealt with?)
    What is their expected life?
    What sort of pattern do they throw down the road?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Go with LEDs for longer life and brighter light than halogen

Dennis
    Yeah, but doesn't he have the 2014 RT-S, which I believe does have the shutter mechanism. So, if there's a problem with the shutter, replacing the bulb isn't going to help.

Either way, I would agree that LED bulbs are the way to go. Brighter light and much longer life because there's no filament to break. No, I don't believe it's a warranty item - normal maintenance on any vehicle.

As for Xenon, HID and the like - way more expensive and not necessarily any better than LED.

If you replace the headlights with LED, you will probably also want to replace the fog lights for appearance sake if nothing else. THOSE are a bear to get at on the RT, so unless you've got the skill, patience and determination to do them yourself you might consider having everything done at the dealer - or at the next Spyder rally where the vendors like TricLED are there to sell and install them.

Good luck.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    My '14 RT-S blew a headlamp at Americade. I'd like to hear your real world experience with the options we now have like LEDs, HID, and Xeon. I don't want to modify the socket, melt a housing, or melt connectors or wiring.
    I wanted a brighter light for visibility, so I bought the full set of headlight and foglight bulbs from TricLED when they had a promotion going last November. I didn't get around to installing them until a few weeks ago. It took me several days of figuring out how to take the body panels off and gain access to the foglight modules. The left foglight was a real bear to replace because there is limited space to work but the others not so bad.

When I first got them reinstalled, I had only a low beam on one headlight and learned from TricLED I'd probably blocked the shutter when putting everything back together. That turned out to be the case and it was easily rectified.

I'm very happy with the way they look, and I'm confident I won't have to mess with them again for probably the life of the bike, since LEDs have that reputation.

LaMonster's LED kit is a little different than TricLED's in that some modification of the rear cap on the headlight housing is necessary. He has a great installation video here; http://www.lamonstergarage.com/9005-...for-spyder-rt/
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-14-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: correction
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default RT HEADLIGHTS

[QUOTE=UtahPete;1268705]Yeah, but doesn't he have the 2014 RT-S, which I believe does have the shutter mechanism. So, if there's a problem with the shutter, replacing the bulb isn't going to help.

Either way, I would agree that LED bulbs are the way to go. Brighter light and much longer life because there's no filament to break. No, I don't believe it's a warranty item - normal maintenance on any vehicle.

As for Xenon, HID and the like - way more expensive and not necessarily any better than LED.

If you replace the headlights with LED, you will probably also want to replace the fog lights for appearance sake if nothing else. THOSE are a bear to get at on the RT, so unless you've got the skill, patience and determination to do them yourself you might consider having everything done at the dealer - or at the next Spyder rally where the vendors like TricLED are there to sell and install them.

Good luck.[/QUOTE' " a bear to get to on an RT " , I don't think so ..... I can do a headlight in about 20 minutes or less ....... you might mean an RS / GS ........ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THOSE are a bear to get at on the RT, so unless you've got the skill, patience and determination to do them yourself you might consider having everything done at the dealer - or at the next Spyder rally where the vendors like TricLED are there to sell and install them.

Good luck.[/QUOTE' " a bear to get to on an RT " , I don't think so ..... I can do a headlight in about 20 minutes or less ....... you might mean an RS / GS ........ Mike [/QUOTE]

No, I meant an RT. The left foglight access is limited by the air duct. The right one is a snap.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-14-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: correction
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Lights

The headlights are the upper ones, the fog lights are the lower ones, and the left foglight is indeed hard to get at by the fresh air snorkel. We did a set Saturday. We were doing shock adjusters, and with the shock out, the left fog light is easier to do. Our tech at our dealership finds it faster to remove the Frunk! Might try that next time!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    The headlights are the upper ones, the fog lights are the lower ones, and the left foglight is indeed hard to get at by the fresh air snorkel. We did a set Saturday. We were doing shock adjusters, and with the shock out, the left fog light is easier to do. Our tech at our dealership finds it faster to remove the Frunk! Might try that next time!
    You're right of course. I had it backwards in my post.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here is a nice article about what is best...Its all about the housing design...

• 02-07-2017, 02:27 AM
      Corsacreek

Member Join Date Nov 2016 Location South Florida Posts 24 Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Dray
      So feel free to jump in hear with thoughts, opinions and experience.

Thanks in advance.

Dray

When you say "The Best" do you really mean it or are you really asking what is among a sea of cheap imitation the best of the crap out there????

Because if you want the best then you would buy the genuine product made by Philips which is the 12953BWX2 series type that run from $250 to $300 and they are made in Japan. They are bar coded and can be verified in Philips website as the real deal. Anybody here claiming they have the best are taking you for a ride. You'll find plenty of cheap imitations on ebay running from $18 to $45 with the Philips logo and they are all 100% FAKE and violation of copy right infringement. Philips has already sued several Chinese factories over this.

Most people are naive and don't take the time to properly research what's being sold as snake oil. There are differences in quality among cheap imitations but the bottom line is that they are ALL made in China with very little quality assurance. What you pay someone $100 for a pair of LED headlight bulbs will have the same quality assurance as the $40 one you bought on ebay straight from China.

Now if you really were interested in maximizing the potential of your headlight power you would start with the obvious, who made the headlight enclosure/assembly and that would be Hella. The assembly was made for a halogen bulb which projects light 360 degrees so right off the bat you have reduce your lighting power by using an LED bulb. An HID bulb would be a better candidate because it projects light at 360 degrees and with a higher color temperature. The HID covers ALL of the headlight reflectors and projects the light correctly. My old 95 Prius which I sold several years back is still has the original HID bulbs with the original ballast and still kicking. I can't say the same for any LED kit I have bought.

Look at the new Ducatis and BMW bikes that have LED headlights and you'll see the difference in the assembly. You certainly wouldn't put a halogen bulb no matter the price on the bike with LED reflectors would you???
      Attached Thumbnails

• Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes
      SpyderCruiser thanked for this post
      PMK, larryd, SpyderCruiser liked this post

Thank for this post