Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Cheap Throttle Control

I just got a new 2106 RS and found that the throttle control was too loose for my taste. If I took my hand off it, it sprang back to idle. SO, I removed the bolt at the end of the control from the handlebar and the inside of that plastic piece has 2 stepped rings. I found a thin rubber washer (I could have use inner tube rubber) that fit inside the handlebar but also around the larger inside ring. I then replaced the end piece and tightened it down just to where the throttle would hold in position, I used it this weekend on a 100 mile trip, and it worked great. A cheap throttle lock for pennies!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you have no way of releasing this "throttle-lock" on the fly?
    If it's working okay for you...
    But I'd prefer to be able to disengage it, and have the throttle spring itself back to idle.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A minimal twist turns it off. It just makes the throttle a little sticky.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's your bike, and it works for you: I'm glad that you found a cheap way to accomplish this.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CHEAP THROTTLE CONTROL

Quote Originally Posted by BernieB627 View Post
    I just got a new 2106 RS and found that the throttle control was too loose for my taste. If I took my hand off it, it sprang back to idle. SO, I removed the bolt at the end of the control from the handlebar and the inside of that plastic piece has 2 stepped rings. I found a thin rubber washer (I could have use inner tube rubber) that fit inside the handlebar but also around the larger inside ring. I then replaced the end piece and tightened it down just to where the throttle would hold in position, I used it this weekend on a 100 mile trip, and it worked great. A cheap throttle lock for pennies!!
    ..... I have been known to live on the edge waaaaaaay to often ....... but friend this MOD can easily get you into serious trouble ....... PLEASE TAKE IT OFF .........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Over-ride a safety feature on a $20k bike just to save money? Really?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....... PLEASE TAKE IT OFF ........
    Yes Mother !!

I've been riding with "throttle drags" on all of my bikes since WAY back when they were standard equipment.
    I make mine with a length of thin "bunje cord" stuffed between the throttle grip and the switch assembly right in front of it.

What is right for YOU isn't right for everybody.

I haven't decided if I'm going to add that to my Spyder yet. Having a real cruise control makes it less useful.

Spyder Garage

Default To Each his own....

Regardless of how long one has done this and managed to stay safe it is a dangerous risky way to ryde. I know you are talking about two wheelers/trikes with manual clutches that can be pulled as a instant release and just a revved up engine. The semi automatic ones do not have that luxury. But then I'm not crazy about any type of cruise control on motorcyles with twist throttles. There are many such cruise controls for a less than bottle of beer but it is a choice and to each his own...We do think safety first around here...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Are there really bikes (with any number of wheels) where when you let go of the throttle it doesn't return to idle?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There USED to be...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There USED to be...
    Why do you think there isn't now? Could it be because the demand for the return option was so high the manufacturers decided to make them all that way, or maybe the safety people thought it was a good idea to make them all that way? The first auto-return bike I rode took some getting used to letting it return on it own.
    Last edited by 2Paw; 06-12-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

If you take your hand off the throttle, it's SUPPOSED to spring back to idle. I bet you'd freak out if you took your foot off the gas in your car and the engine didn't slow down.
    They make all kinds of mechanical throttle locks, Kuryakin comes to mind, but they can all be easily released.

Sorry, I don't mean to be judgmental but this is a safety issue. You're also making yourself liable in an accident.
    It's your bike to do with as you please, and NOONE has the right to stop you, but I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HELPING OTHERS

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Yes Mother !!

I've been riding with "throttle drags" on all of my bikes since WAY back when they were standard equipment.
    I make mine with a length of thin "bunje cord" stuffed between the throttle grip and the switch assembly right in front of it.

What is right for YOU isn't right for everybody.

I haven't decided if I'm going to add that to my Spyder yet. Having a real cruise control makes it less useful.
    Dear - Easy Rider ... I'm nobodies mother and don't pretend to be one...... You appear to " THINK " this Mod is a Good Idea !!!! ... If next week ... A friend of the OP posts that HE lost control of His Spyder , crashed and was injured or worse DIED ..... Please tell us what your Next post about this would be ............. just a thought ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

When the hits the fan, e.g., when that 85 year old Q-tip with coke bottle bottom glasses makes that left turn in front of you, are you going to remember to close that throttle before or after you your trousers?
    Last edited by JayBros; 06-12-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default throttle control

If you can afford to purchase one of these trikes; you can afford to replace the right handle bar control with an RSS electronics package which includes the cruise control pre-wired from the factory.

Then you've got a cruise control that works and you don't have to think about releasing the throttle to slow down. $3000.00 model upgrade for ~$400.00; good first farkle for you!! JMO Mike made me do this!!!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you want cheap: buy one-ply toilet paper...
    Why would you want to go less than "top-shelf", for something as expensive as these bikes are.
    Buy the RS-S right side swtich control, and it'll be done right!
    And it's a really easy thing to do: the wiring is already there!