Thread: DIY Skidplate

Spyder Garage

Default DIY Skidplate

Hi folks,

There is another thread on here: Made 4 skid plates today for RS/GS

So I contacted David Hamilton & he sent me a paper template for what he made.

Spyder Skidplate-1.jpg

This gave me a starting point to begin the project.

I then removed the undercarriage cover & started measuring.

I will try to post a drawing of the dimensions that I made my DIY Skidplate to when I get it completed; hopefully in a few days.

I bought a piece of 3/8" thick HDPE from a local supplier, cut to 24" x 24", for $24.00.

Using some measurements from David's paper template, I cut the HDPE to 520 mm wide by 510 mm tall.

From the existing undercarriage cover I got the distance on the holes and laid out my piece of HDPE.

Spyder Skidplate-2.jpg

I then drilled the 6 holes with a 1/8" drill bit & then with a 9/64" drill bit & tried a test fitup. All the holes were within a tolerance that I could bolt my piece of HDPE to the Spyder.

I then added more masking tape, reinstalled it onto the Spyder and drew a line around the nose of the frunk. I made a small 3/8" ( 10 mm ) spacer to add some distance for damage control should I hit anything with the skidplate.

I then decided to make a plywood template as I did not want to ruin my only piece of HDPE. I re-laid everything out onto the plywood & went over to a friend who is a very accomplished wood worker. He cut the plywood on his bandsaw & sanded it smooth with his table disc sander. The nose of the frunk is not a set radius; I really do not know what BRP used for the dimensions.

I got home with my piece of plywood, fitted it up and decided to go for cutting the HDPE.

I had a good router with a few cutters; and had at it. After cutting out the pattern using the plywood template, I took a small router bit & rounded the piece of HDPE on the top & bottom sides so that I would not have sharp edges on it.

Here are some more photos:

Fitting the piece of HDPE with a lot of masking tape to trace the contour of the nose of the frunk)

Spyder Skidplate-3.jpg

Finished piece of HDPE)

Spyder skidplate-4.jpg

As installed)

Spyder skidplate-5.jpg

Since I can only upload 5 photos, I'll do the other one in a reply to this post.

If anyone has any questions, fire away. If anyone wants any help on a project like this, just get in touch.

I cannot thank David Hamilton enough for his help on this DIY Skidplate project.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Here is the last photo; this is of the plywood template.

I have drawn the dimensions on it. All of the dimensions are in metric. Google will translate them to US measurements for you.

Spyder skidplate-6.jpg

Also, I decided that the factory bolts would not be long enough due to the thickness of the HDPE. So I went up to my local Ace Hardware store & bought 6 button-head, Allen drive bolts that are about 1/4" longer than the factory bolts. I also bought washers to use with the new bolts.

I then decided that the center two bolts only distort the HDPE skidplate so I left them off. I will fill in the two center holes with a plug; just another trip to Ace Hardware.

I hope that this helps some of you who might want to tackle such a project.

For me, it was fun; and I am satisfied with the results.

I have never seen the professionally made skidplate, but I am sure it might be better than how mine turned out. But at a cost of just $30.00, I'm OK with the results.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) The plywood template will allow me to make another one very easily & much quicker.

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi folks,

There is another thread on here: Made 4 skid plates today for RS/GS

So I contacted David Hamilton & he sent me a paper template for what he made.

Spyder Skidplate-1.jpg

This gave me a starting point to begin the project.

I then removed the undercarriage cover & started measuring.

I will try to post a drawing of the dimensions that I made my DIY Skidplate to when I get it completed; hopefully in a few days.

I bought a piece of 3/8" thick HDPE from a local supplier, cut to 24" x 24", for $24.00.

Using some measurements from David's paper template, I cut the HDPE to 520 mm wide by 510 mm tall.

From the existing undercarriage cover I got the distance on the holes and laid out my piece of HDPE.

Spyder Skidplate-2.jpg

I then drilled the 6 holes with a 1/8" drill bit & then with a 9/64" drill bit & tried a test fitup. All the holes were within a tolerance that I could bolt my piece of HDPE to the Spyder.

I then added more masking tape, reinstalled it onto the Spyder and drew a line around the nose of the frunk. I made a small 3/8" ( 10 mm ) spacer to add some distance for damage control should I hit anything with the skidplate.

I then decided to make a plywood template as I did not want to ruin my only piece of HDPE. I re-laid everything out onto the plywood & went over to a friend who is a very accomplished wood worker. He cut the plywood on his bandsaw & sanded it smooth with his table disc sander. The nose of the frunk is not a set radius; I really do not know what BRP used for the dimensions.

I got home with my piece of plywood, fitted it up and decided to go for cutting the HDPE.

I had a good router with a few cutters; and had at it. After cutting out the pattern using the plywood template, I took a small router bit & rounded the piece of HDPE on the top & bottom sides so that I would not have sharp edges on it.

Here are some more photos:

Fitting the piece of HDPE with a lot of masking tape to trace the contour of the nose of the frunk)

Spyder Skidplate-3.jpg

Finished piece of HDPE)

Spyder skidplate-4.jpg

As installed)

Spyder skidplate-5.jpg

Since I can only upload 5 photos, I'll do the other one in a reply to this post.

If anyone has any questions, fire away. If anyone wants any help on a project like this, just get in touch.

I cannot thank David Hamilton enough for his help on this DIY Skidplate project.

Jerry Baumchen
    looks good, and can't beat the price for protection.
    David

Spyder Garage

Hi David,

Re: can't beat the price for protection

That is right!!!!!!!!

I'll send your paper template back to you; someone else might want it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I consider skidplates as sacrificial items; they are there to take the damage so your Spyder doesn't. My plywood template allows me to make a replacement one quickly.

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Well done...

Nicely done Jerry...well planned out and with that little push you made it happen... and you followed the golden rule...measure twice...cut once..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Skidplate DIY

Hi David,

That is right!!!!!!!!

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I consider skidplates as sacrificial items; they are there to take the damage so your Spyder doesn't. My plywood template allows me to make a replacement one quickly.
    Very nice job.
    It looks good and I like the price.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Hi David,

That is right!!!!!!!!

Jerry Baumchen

Big shout out to David who also sent me the template!!!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very good work, nicely done. I could not help but notice in the finished product picture that this was another job done out of necessity. This should serve you well!

Bravo!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Here is a drawing that I have made of how I built my DIY Skidplate.

I tried to upload this as a pdf file but could not. So here it is as a picture.

If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If anyone wants the drawing in a pdf file, just send me an email: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Spyder skidplate-7.jpg

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Here is a drawing that I have made of how I built my DIY Skidplate.

I tried to upload this as a pdf file but could not. So here it is as a picture.

If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If anyone wants the drawing in a pdf file, just send me an email: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Spyder skidplate-7.jpg
    Good drawing. I want to also add my buddy in there. He did the plywood cutting and I copied it and put it on paper. So Floyd Netterville really gets the credit for the template I sent you. I had started making one when he showed up with his. There is a lot of different project I do, but this one goes to Floyd.
    David