Spyder Garage

Default Mine is starting to go!!!

Well, I am on my morning ride and started feeling a little unusual vibration. I checked my wonderful BRP belt tensioner and go figure, it's on its way out the door. I can relieve the tension and wobble the roller side to side. It still rolls decent but I can tell it's going bad with only 1200 miles on it. Now the predicament! I am about 75 miles from home and have no way to secure it off the belt. I am hoping I can make it home without it giving up completely. Thanks a lot BRP!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

got a shoestring handy??

Spyder Garage

Need something to tie it clear of the belt?? Here's a few ideas that might help?!?....

Got a draw string in your riding jacket? From around the waist maybe, or possibly in the hood? Or a draw-string or waist tie from your rain gear?? Failing something like that, what about:

A couple of zip-ties connected together to make a double strength tie;

A piece of fencing wire; (Just don't cut it out of some poor farmer's fence from alongside the road!)

The shoulder strap from the BRP luggage;

The length of unused wire set aside for 'accessories' in the wiring loom; or

Your ear-bud cords.

Lotsa stuff will work, just so long as you take the time to look outside the box for something that'll work, even if it isn't exactly what it was intended for!

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear this, mine is coming off today and replacing it with the kit I got
    from Doc.
    Good luck getting home!
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Well I made it home! The place I was eating ended up having some wire I used to tie it up. Gonna order doc's soon!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I noticed a new vibration last night. I suspected to BRP part might be failing. Now I know I'm not the only one. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks....

Thanks for letting us know you made it home and got help along the way...Most of us carry some duck tape you can make a sturdy rope with a lenght of it. Always carry a few zip ties they take up no space actually have them tucked in the owners manual and tool kit. Glad your going with Doc's tensioner. He just upgraded it with a grease fitting to keep it at its best at all times...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you made it home! Just built two kits this morning!

Spyder Garage

Default belt tensioner

Hi,
    just fitted mine last week, slightly modified from the BRP part have had an aluminium billet arm made and fitted another bearing fitted in the roller, not quite the same as doc's as doc's look bigger and have bushes, so I am now wondering weather to leave on or remove as I an going on trip to Europe soon (3000miles). At the time of fitting the tensioner I fitted the magic mirrors to the left side (as the Tupperware was off) but I noticed that there was a 5-6 mm gap all way round compared to the right side. so they have been removed looks like I have two bad purchases. Looking for a little advice keep tensioner on or remove.
    cheers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Need something to tie it clear of the belt?? Here's a few ideas that might help?!?....

Got a draw string in your riding jacket? From around the waist maybe, or possibly in the hood? Or a draw-string or waist tie from your rain gear?? Failing something like that, what about:

A couple of zip-ties connected together to make a double strength tie;

A piece of fencing wire; (Just don't cut it out of some poor farmer's fence from alongside the road!)

The shoulder strap from the BRP luggage;

The length of unused wire set aside for 'accessories' in the wiring loom; or

Your ear-bud cords.

Lotsa stuff will work, just so long as you take the time to look outside the box for something that'll work, even if it isn't exactly what it was intended for!
    Peter,
    This is a REALLY good list!
    As for me: the bottom of my trunk always has about a dozen zip-ties of varying lengths.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

As a result of this thread I checked my BRP device. After 2400 miles mine is about done. Seems to have a wobble and the roller is not rolling so good. I have removed and ordered Doc's device. It certainly looks like a better engineered item , should work well.

Spyder Garage

BRP still cannot give us what we paid for.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Glad you made it home! Just built two kits this morning!
    Hey Doc do you ship to CANADA?
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nasty View Post
    Hi,
    just fitted mine last week, slightly modified from the BRP part have had an aluminium billet arm made and fitted another bearing fitted in the roller, not quite the same as doc's as doc's look bigger and have bushes, so I am now wondering weather to leave on or remove as I an going on trip to Europe soon (3000miles). At the time of fitting the tensioner I fitted the magic mirrors to the left side (as the Tupperware was off) but I noticed that there was a 5-6 mm gap all way round compared to the right side. so they have been removed looks like I have two bad purchases. Looking for a little advice keep tensioner on or remove.
    cheers.
    On the MM, did you perhaps leave the washer on on one side (of the screw) and off of the other side? I have yet to see the width vary in any kits. Might want to check that. Instructions explain that the magnets will not fit flush if the washer is left on.

On the other part, we were figuring up my cost on the kit #1's, and I am making a whopping $20 for each one sold. I cannot sell them any cheaper than that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    Hey Doc do you ship to CANADA?
    Yes, we do. PM me with an address and we'll get an estimate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    As a result of this thread I checked my BRP device. After 2400 miles mine is about done. Seems to have a wobble and the roller is not rolling so good. I have removed and ordered Doc's device. It certainly looks like a better engineered item , should work well.
    I changed one out today that had 2k on it on a F3. It had less than 1k before failure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This will give us more confidence in their (BRP) fixes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    Well I made it home! The place I was eating ended up having some wire I used to tie it up. Gonna order doc's soon!!!
    Did you end up replacing the tensioner with Doc's?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

when i put doc's on i made a hook out of wire so i could run with or without
    the unit. that way i can see the dfference.or if it fails, just place it out of the way.
    2000 miles and still tight.--irv
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Did you end up replacing the tensioner with Doc's?

I did not!! I was going to but since I was going to put it up for sale I decided to let the new owner do so if they desired. The brackets are still there but I removed the tensioner. I still have it but it has some play in it.

Spyder Garage

Ok, just a question. I have a 2014 RTS. Been on highways, back roads, up mountians, down mountians, rear wheel has been off and tire changed. never ever have I felt unacceptable belt vibrations. Just curious as to what could be different between your bikes and mine, that you need a belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    Ok, just a question. I have a 2014 RTS. Been on highways, back roads, up mountians, down mountians, rear wheel has been off and tire changed. never ever have I felt unacceptable belt vibrations. Just curious as to what could be different between your bikes and mine, that you need a belt tensioner.
    Some ryders don't experience it at first. Has a lot to do with number of miles on the byke, load ratio, belt tension and alignment. Our 14 RT didn't start out that way either. We had about 8k on it and it started a little vibration on the interstate, especially going down a slight incline. Others have reported different scenarios, so it varies by byke.
    Bottom line, if you don't need it, don't worry about it until you do. You will be able to tell if/when it starts. You will feel it in the pegs or floorboard....

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration difference between same model Spyders

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    I have said all along that the vibration is coming from the engine & the belt just transfers that vibration. Those with vibration can park their Spyder in neutral --rev the engine in the 3200-3800 range & still feel the vibration when the belt isn't moving.

You got lucky--your engine is correctly balanced the equivalent of a blue printed engine--BRP parts have a wide tolerance in variation--In your case ---BRP picked same dimension pistons & rods -etc.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black