Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender when to use?

Hi 2014 rts original battery, Going to park it for awhile. How long do you go with out use before you hook up a battery Tender?
    Thanks Kenn

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine is plugged in whenever the bike is parked. See no reason not to do this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I plug mine is every time I get home from a ride and I ride almost every day.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

when you Park it, hook it up
    leave hooked up to your ready
    to ride again.

QUOTE=kbwitt;1265434]Hi 2014 rts original battery, Going to park it for awhile. How long do you go with out use before you hook up a battery Tender?
    Thanks Kenn[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

If I'm not going to ride for a couple of weeks I use the tender; that's mostly in winter. Otherwise I ride several times a week and ignore the tender.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You will get a mixed bag of answers here. I know you are good for about two weeks without a hook up.

I only put mine on when I am ready for the winter sleep. Oct/Nov through March. Always starts first try.

The rest of the time, I do not use a tender. My is used almost daily. Linda's at least once a week.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I put mine on if it is going to sit for more than a week. I ride almost every day. You don't plug your car in every day do you?
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Tender? err... Plug in when you need to. What caught my eye is "original " battery.
    Look for signs of slow cranking, lights whose brightness varies with engine speed.
    Three years is about long enough. Mine was always on a tender and was very good for more than
    THREE years, when things started to slooow down.

Better to change it when you "want" to, than when you "have" to. You can believe a charger is not a
    good bandaid for a tired battery
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    I put mine on if it is going to sit for more than a week. I ride almost every day. You don't plug your car in every day do you?
    No, but a car battery has a much greater storage capacity to absorb parasitic power drains than the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    While that seems logical, at some point in time there likely WILL be a reason not to do it.

Having the tender connected at home will pretty much ensure that it will start every time (unless there is a sudden failure in the battery).
    BUT THEN if the battery is getting really weak and you ride somewhere and shut it off for an hour or more.......it may not start again.
    I prefer to know when my battery is getting weak right there in my garage where it is easier to deal with SO I only use a tender when it will be sitting unused for a week or more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If I'm not going to ride for a couple of weeks I use the tender; that's mostly in winter. Otherwise I ride several times a week and ignore the tender.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You will get a mixed bag of answers here. I know you are good for about two weeks without a hook up.

I only put mine on when I am ready for the winter sleep. Oct/Nov through March. Always starts first try.

The rest of the time, I do not use a tender. My is used almost daily. Linda's at least once a week.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

If your Spyder is stock. What I mean by that is nothing added that draws power while parked. You should have no problem leaving it for 3 months and it will start just fine. BRP recommends not letting it sit for more than a month. That sounds like a good plan.

If you have stuff drawing power while parked. Alarm system takes power whether it is armed or not. Power sockets with pilot lights. They take very little power but still draw. Stuff that needs charging. They can take a lot of power. Depending on what, that can dramatically lower the time it should be off a tender.

I have 2 power sockets always on, alarm system, Sena BT dongle that I never turn off. Sena headset charging while parked. It will likely not start after about 5 days. I plug in if I am not going to drive it the next day.

I have a friend that had 2010 RT. It was never on a tender. Had no extras added. It would sit for 4 or 5 months every winter not run. He had to boost it only one spring. He traded it off last fall for a 2017 RT and it still had the original battery in it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I plug it in whenever it is in the garage. Personal preference.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have several bikes so at least one is sitting while another is being ridden. They all have their own tender to plug into whenever they're in the garage.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's going to sit for a Month or more (Read that as "Winter Storage"): then I plug the bike in.
    The 1330s have such an improved charging system, that it is unnecessary to plug them in every time the engine is shut off...

The 998s however... are a different story!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I hook up my GS if I know I won't be riding for more than a week. That's just me.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    Yep, I agree. We keep our two Spyders at our winter home in Texas, and two motorcycles at our summer home in Maine, and when they're not being regularly being used each remains on its Battery Minder. Recently arrived in Maine and was pleased to see that they both started immediately (boy, do we love fuel injection).
    When we return to Texas this fall both Spyders will also start immediately, just as they did last fall. My two cents on the subject.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The 998s however... are a different story!
    Not that much different.
    Certainly NOT necessary "every time the engine is shut off".

And I hope all of you guys who think plugging in every night is the right thing to do will come back and tell us when your battery goes dead out on the road some day in the future. It WILL happen; it's just a matter of time.