Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why not on of these 3 cyl engines

http://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-...r-cars-130877/

A few of these engine come from low budget cars--check out the HP & torque on the 1000 cc engines
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Automotive designs aren't generally built with the compact size and lighter weight parameters of motorcycle engines...

But they DO exhibit some interesting technology!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They have a little more power with a turbo.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But they need more power due to the larger mass that they've got to move around.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But they need more power due to the larger mass that they've got to move around.

Thus with a lower mass the vehicle would be faster without vibration, better aerodynamic, resulting in better performance & improved gas mileage. I don't know the price of these engines but a few of the cars price are inline with the Spider's cost. thus it could be done :-)

Spyder Garage

like the Chevy Cobalt powerplant in the Slingshot
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

There is some cool techno stuff in those car engines, but like Bob said, the problem with transplanting them into a Spyder or alike vehicle is the physical size and weight of the power plant, transmission and drive train. The ACE engine and transmission are one integrated unit and are very compact and light weight. If the ACE engine received direct injection and/or a turbo charger you'd see it do some amazing things. However, it would be done at a cost that would put it out of reach of most Spyder riders/buyers. But, I do think that direct injection could be on the horizon for almost all road going internal combustion engines due to the increased smog and MPG standards being demanded by the enviro movement.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

It would be a nice fit if the motor from a Triumph Rocket would fit in the Spyder. Those not familiar with the Triumph Rocket, the engine is a inline 3 cylinder 2294 cc which produces 140 HP.

I do miss my 2006 Rocket
    triumph rocket 003.jpg

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The problem with car engines"
    You might end up riding something like this!

Road Dog.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Have to wonder....🤔

What about the transmission and output...?? Those are all shaft drive..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    It would be a nice fit if the motor from a Triumph Rocket would fit in the Spyder. Those not familiar with the Triumph Rocket, the engine is a inline 3 cylinder 2294 cc which produces 140 HP.

I do miss my 2006 Rocket
    triumph rocket 003.jpg
    That is a nice Rocket

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    What about the transmission and output...?? Those are all shaft drive..
    Hayabusa engine with transmission weigh slightly less than 200 lbs--chain drive--180 hp--no vibration. I can start moving from a dead stop in 6th gear(because I forget to downshift) slipping the clutch to 1200 rpm , pin the throttle wide open--no burbs-backfires--just a steady pull...

Spyder Garage

Biggest problem with power mods is getting all the extra power efficiently and reliably to the road. Tweek engine power and then worry about failing transmission. Build up transmission and worry about belt failure. Get stronger belt or go to shaft drive and worry about drive wheel/bearing failure and tire shredding........ Think I'll just stick with what I have

Spyder Garage

How fast do you need to go???? The speed limits won't change even if you were rocket propelled!!!

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Biggest problem with power mods is getting all the extra power efficiently and reliably to the road. Tweek engine power and then worry about failing transmission. Build up transmission and worry about belt failure. Get stronger belt or go to shaft drive and worry about drive wheel/bearing failure and tire shredding........ Think I'll just stick with what I have
    I've competed in the "snowmobile horsepower races", and 179%
    And there is always somebody just around the corner; who has already built something faster!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    How fast do you need to go???? The speed limits won't change even if you were rocket propelled!!!

SilverFox
    It's just in our nature to want to see how far we can push envelope..
    If these bikes came with 1,000 horsepower: somebody would STILL put a pipe on it, just to see if there wasn't some more horsepower hiding in there somewhere!

Spyder Garage

I've competed in the "snowmobile horsepower races", and 179%
    And there is always somebody just around the corner; who has already built something faster!

It's just in our nature to want to see how far we can push envelope..
    If these bikes came with 1,000 horsepower: somebody would STILL put a pipe on it, just to see if there wasn't some more horsepower hiding in there somewhere!
    All my life I've always wanted what ever I had to have just a little more HP. Now as my age has increased I find 344 RWHP on a 530 LB bike to be a touch more than I can handle with confidence but the thought of selling my spiritual enlightenment machine has not happened. I think about it--but I have a very short attention span. Bob--I had a SkiDoo in Wisc in the 70's when vehicle ID numbers weren't required. The police would chase us down snow covered gravel roads--we would pull 100 yards into the snow covered field & motion for them to come over---Climbing gravel pit walls was always a challenge on the way home from closing time at the pubs :-) & somehow we're still alive--living is all about pushing the limits edge.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They do say that:
    "If you're not living on the edge: you're taking up too much space!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Hayabusa engine with transmission weigh slightly less than 200 lbs--chain drive--180 hp--no vibration. I can start moving from a dead stop in 6th gear(because I forget to downshift) slipping the clutch to 1200 rpm , pin the throttle wide open--no burbs-backfires--just a steady pull...
    A salesman at a DE dealer said he had done 110 mph in first gear on a Hayabusa. Don't know if that's possible with the red line, but that was his claim.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

According to some of the folks in here, he's off by at least 15 mph:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/14-gsx-...irst-gear.html

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

According to some of the folks in here, he's off by at least 15 mph:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/14-gsx-...irst-gear.html
    i guess you haven't found the end of the Internet have you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I passed it about twenty minutes ago!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    A salesman at a DE dealer said he had done 110 mph in first gear on a Hayabusa. Don't know if that's possible with the red line, but that was his claim.
    It's normally 80-90 But Change the Front sprocket to 19 or 20 tooth & reduce the rear sprocket to a 37 tooth--I haven't done it but its possible. Now lets discuss speedo accuracy. land speed racing in the group I was with required a 125 mph pass +/- then 150 mph pass +/-, then 175 mph pass, then a 200 pass. I have seen several guys fail to certify the 175 MPH pass because their speed was reading 175 Mph but the 132' timing clock showed low 160 mph. thus the 110 speedo has lots of variables. Almost all bike show a faster speedo mph than actual timed speed mph.

Thus with modified sprockets--its possible, or via bike speedo it would be inaccurate. My trans has a lower 1st gear & an overdrive in 5th & 6th gear via Robinson Industries--cost slightly over $2000. It's been a while since I had my 1st stock Hayabusa but I kinda remember seeing approx 85-90 mph speedo.in 1st gear. All the BS stops at the official timed track. Plus most of the track guys have reflashed ECU's. Stock RPM is 10,800 & the tach reads approx 400 rpm higher than actual. Mine is reflashed to 11,200 but the dyno doesn't show any major benefit in rwhp/torq with my turbo engine setup above 10,800. In the land of advanced riding skills--I fall toward the lower end.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 06-19-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Most bikes have errors in the speedo. Years ago I installed a "Speedo-Healer" on my old Goldwing. That allowed me to calibrate the error out of the speedo (using GPS on several runs for accuracy). As a group rider leader I often encountered riders who thought I was too fast and going to get us tickets. Never happened..... Checking the Spyder speedo against the GPS speed, I find there is only a couple MPH difference. Not enough to mess with.

Spyder Garage

Most bikes have errors in the speedo. Years ago I installed a "Speedo-Healer" on my old Goldwing. That allowed me to calibrate the error out of the speedo (using GPS on several runs for accuracy). As a group rider leader I often encountered riders who thought I was too fast and going to get us tickets. Never happened..... Checking the Spyder speedo against the GPS speed, I find there is only a couple MPH difference. Not enough to mess with.

BTW; I could easily see 80 MPH in second gear on my 1800 Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The speedo % of error is not linear. I had a 10" laptop strapped to my fuel tank with a gps addition. The faster I went--the greater % of error. Tires with 50% wear will show a big difference. My weirdest was 73 mph--& I retested several times--I had an additional 3 mph error speedo jump at 73 mph---(This was on a 2006 Hayabusa) other bikes may be different--but my story of riders going thru the timing traps showing 175 mph speedo which was actually low end 160 mph is a true story.
    Darrell

PS: anybody want to buy any rear busa sprockets? 37 tooth, 38, 39, & 46 tooth with lots for 40 tooth sprockets.