Spyder Garage

Default Need HELP! Replacing regular bulbs to LED's...now bike won't start.

OMG, trying to replace my headlight bulbs with LED's is crazy difficult with my large hands. So, LOL...got my mother to stop by and help.

I took apart as much as I could before I was afraid of taking too much off and forget things without having a diagram.

I was able to get the right side headlight and fog light changed to the LED's. BTW, these are the ones sold at Lamonster.

All wires are plugged back including the cluster gauges...just not mounted back in place due to wanting to test things so I would not have to take it all apart again.

Turned the key, bike goes through what looks like normal slow startup process before I attempt to turn it over...and then both turn signals began to blink as if the hazards were on (it was not) and cluster showed the turn signals blinking in unison...the bike would not crank, headlights and fog lights would not come on...I tried 4 or 5 times and same thing...I then turned the key counter clockwise and it looked as if something reset or maybe it was nothing. However, the bike keeps doing the same thing..

I need help...I don't want to try the other headlight and fog light until I know what's going on. From the videos I seen including the one Lamonster did, I cannot see where anything went wrong and I should not have to replace all bulbs just to see them work...at least not from the videos and photos online.

Also...there are no error messages on the cluster screens. They all look normal. I could not find anything in the manual or via the Googler...so, please excuse me if I missed something.

Thoughts??? Thanks ya'll!!

20170601_203435.jpg 20170601_203455.jpg 20170601_203507.jpg front_right-blinker_w-all-lights.jpg This last image is what my girl looks like with regular bulbs before working on the new replacements.
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 06-01-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: scooted images apart, added no error msgs
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The bike has to be running for the headlights and fog lights to turn on. I know that doesn't help you much.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Check to see if you accidentally pushed the hazard switch in(triangle). Then check your power on/off switch on the right grip to make sure it is on. If it is an SE trans...remember to put your foot on the brake...in case it was in gear at shut down.

That's the best I can do at the moment.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-02-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default So far...

The hazard is not on, it's in neutral and I hold the brake down when starting anyway out of habit from old and the red on/off is set to on.

Hmm...was not sure if the engine had to be on for the lights to be on...never needed to check that...now I know it does.

It's just weird...no error message. Maybe I do need to have all lights the same, but I don't know why I cannot check the right side LED's while the left side is still incandescent...

I'm going back to the garage and take a quick video, post it on youtube and put a link on this thread for ya'll in case it might trigger someone's thoughts.

I appreciate all comments and suggestions...

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    The hazard is not on, it's in neutral and I hold the brake down when starting anyway out of habit from old and the red on/off is set to on.

Hmm...was not sure if the engine had to be on for the lights to be on...never needed to check that...now I know it does.

It's just weird...no error message. Maybe I do need to have all lights the same, but I don't know why I cannot check the right side LED's while the left side is still incandescent...

I'm going back to the garage and take a quick video, post it on youtube and put a link on this thread for ya'll in case it might trigger someone's thoughts.

I appreciate all comments and suggestions...
    It may very well be the lights not being uniform. While I do not know, for sure. It's logical, because that's the only thing different from when it last ran.

Spyder Garage

Default Correct...and here is the video I just took of what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    It may very well be the lights not being uniform. While I do not know, for sure. It's logical, because that's the only thing different from when it last ran.
    You're right Jerbear...all was fine with her until now.

Also, here is the video I just took of what's happening now. Let me know if I should video something else which may help.

I'm a tad worried about her...Serenity prayer!!

https://youtu.be/x3vGGOao7Sk

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

You're right Jerbear...all was fine with her until now.

Also, here is the video I just took of what's happening now. Let me know if I should video something else which may help.

I'm a tad worried about her...Serenity prayer!!

https://youtu.be/x3vGGOao7Sk
    Don't fret anymore and either replace the lights you removed, to see if it clears your problem. Or, go ahead and make the change on the left side, and see if the problem clears. My hunch, is that it will(clear the problem), regardless of which you do.

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Don't fret anymore and either replace the lights you removed, to see if it clears your problem. Or, go ahead and make the change on the left side, and see if the problem clears. My hunch, is that it will(clear the problem), regardless of which you do.
    I'll do just that...tomorrow after work unless it's driving me nuts and I take off early...ha.

I'll go ahead and put in the other two LED's (head and fog) to be proactive instead of going backwards. Lamonster has always been good about their products being top notch, so I trust them. If the same thing happens, I'll put back the incandescents and see if that fixes things...and go from there.

Honestly, I was (and still) hoping it would (or will) be something simple. Like I said before, the headlights are in a tight area, and my hands look like my daughter's cat has gotten after me.

I'll post an update tomorrow afternoon/evening. If you or anyone else has any further thoughts, I'll be checking this post a few more times tonight and again tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

After watching your video, you showed the instrument cluster twice and it shows that the bike is in REVERSE in which makes the flashers blink. So have you tried pressing on the brake while trying to start it? Just an observation. Good Luck.
    2013 STS , OEM Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Eh, nope...didn't think of that. BRB...going to test that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by fetermel View Post
    After watching your video, you showed the instrument cluster twice and it shows that the bike is in REVERSE in which makes the flashers blink. So have you
    tried pressing on the brake while trying to start it? Just an observation. Good Luck.
    Ok...just went to the garage.

Well screw me with a stick while running side ways... It was in freaking reverse...between my enjoyment of all the hard work in doing just the two right side head/fog lights, a few hours of Bayer Back and Body from all the weird-a$$ bending around plus the cluster blinking when I expected nothing...my mind was not on the track ensuring it was in N before blowing up these threads...I do really appreciate everyone's patience with me.

I don't even need coffee now I'm so pumped about finishing!

And OMG, I can tell such a huge difference already even in the early morning sunshine the difference in clear brightness!! I'll take pictures of it with half done & completed and post later today...

Thank you feternel! And thank you all for participating in my little embarrassment.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Glad it was easy

Spyder Garage

Default Great Lights

I replaced the lights in my ST-S with Lamonsters and you are so right about the difference. Cagers keep flashing their high beams at me. At least I know they see me.
    The WildBat - 2017 Can-Am Spyder F3-L
    Little Bre - 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S
    Phantom 2.0 - My SuperSpyder. 2008 Can-Am Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

Default Alright ya'll...she's done...

Hey all...she's done with her new LED's. The write up is here so readers are not confused: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...46#post1265146

But, here's the done deal...

before-after_collage.jpg

Spyder Garage

Hey all...she's done with her new LED's. The write up is here so readers are not confused: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...46#post1265146

But, here's the done deal...

before-after_collage.jpg
    well glad you got that far Now if you like just go back & add the tricled fog light rings Fyi my current project Thank you Pitbull for the fog lights & Cindy for the rings
    Last edited by Bfromla; 06-04-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Thx

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack