Spyder Garage

Default Where do I go from stock

Just bought a 2014 RT Limited with Elka front shocks. Both Elka shocks are leaking and the selling dealer is suppling me with OEM shocks to replace the leaking Elkas. After I install the OEM shocks, What is my first upgrade to suspension? Do I go with Baharon sway bar or have the Elkas rebuilt and replace them. I am hesitant to deal with the Elkas as they have less than 9K on them and are leaking. Your expert advice is very much appreciated.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should definitely get the Baja Ron bar. Then do the shocks, if you think you still need them.

I know many here feel a difference with the Elkas, and I've always used the stock ones. (I haven't yet kept a Spyder long enough to wear them out.)
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your purchase!
    Why not ride the bike for a while in the stock configuration, and see what it tells you about itself?
    You might decide that you like it the way that it is...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with Joel, the Elka's are the single biggest improvement to your bike. The OEM shocks are barely usable and nowhere near the league of the Elka's. The Baja Ron sway bar is not that big of an improvement on the 2014 RT's. It was huge on the earlier models, but not so much on the newer bikes.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I think I would probably like the Elka upgrade but longevity is a concern for me. The bike is little more than 2 years old and has less than 10K miles. And BOTH shocks are toast. This is not a racer. It is a cruiser and is senior owned. I would hope the quality of shocks this expensive would be better. Once I get the stock shocks on, I'm inclined to see if I am happy with the ride. The jury is out on what to do with the Elkas at this point. Not happy about having a new purchase sitting unusable while waiting for shocks.....(that the dealer doesn't have in stock)

Spyder Garage

Throw another card on the "ride it stock" pile for about a thousand miles or so. Then you will know what upgrades YOU want. One persons upgrades are not always exactly what you want.

Let us know what you do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with akspyderman, try it stock so you have a base line and then decide what you want to change. I have a 2015 RT, am a senior, but do tend to ride on the aggressive side. I'm happy with the stock shocks, but was really happy with the BajaRon sway bar addition. It reduces being pushed around from side winds and buffeting from big trucks and keeps my Spyder flatter in the turns, I guess that means better stability.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the good advice. Just one last question. Is there a way to identify a BahaRon sway bar? I would hate to order one only to find out the PO previously installed one.....

Spyder Garage

Default BETTING

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Have those elkas rebuilt!! They are a huge improvement to ride and handling. If you want to sell them, let me know, I might be interested at the right price.
    I'M BETTING THE DEALER WILL KEEP, REBUILT & RESELL as part of the deal for the replacement OEM shocks.....
    let's see what happens....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Thank you all for the good advice. Just one last question. Is there a way to identify a BahaRon sway bar? I would hate to order one only to find out the PO previously installed one.....
    Ron's bars are thicker... only I don't have the actual specifications for the bars...
    So instead: take a look at the end links.
    If they're plastic: betting money says that the bar is OEM...
    If it's a high-quality machines piece of metal beauty: you've probably got a "RonBar" up front!

Spyder Garage

I bought the Spyder from a non-BRP dealer in Oklahoma and rode it 1200 miles home to Arizona with bad shocks. The selling dealer ordered me new OEM shocks from their local BRP dealer and is mailing them to me. So I will have the leakers on hand. I just now looked under the bike with a mirror and the sway bar links have "Lamonster" stamped on them so now I know what I have.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that you're good to go!

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/2013-17-rt-swaybar/

Spyder Garage

i had 1 elka leak on me, i called elka and they replaced both for free. you should get the numbers off of them, elka wants the numbers, and call them
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Went for a 170 mile ride today with the stock OEM shocks. I now know that I do, indeed, have a Baha Ron bar installed. Today's ride was up into the mountains with lots of twisties. My wife was riding (my old) Goldwing and another couple were along on their 2015 Spyder Ltd. I had problems keeping up with my wife in the twisties at 65-75 MPH. The other couple on the Spyder were doing a bit better than I. I did do a bit better on the return trip. Probably because I was getting more use to the Spyder. I found that I was having much more stress on my arms and shoulders than I anticipated. Prior to the ride I adjusted tire pressure to 20PSI front and 28PSI rear. My friend said he usually rides 22PSI in the front. I suspect adding a couple of pounds would make the ride a little easier. But, I do look forward to having the Elkas repaired and reinstalled.

Having my wife out ride me is just not an option. GRRRRRRRR