Spyder Garage

Default Tail light and brake light question w/ pics

Hello all. First time Spyder owner. Just got my 2016 (new) RS-S and have a question about the tail lights. Should both bulbs be lit while running or only one? The brakes lights work fine and both light up. I pulled both bulbs and swapped them with new and each other and still same thing. The factory bulbs look great.

Thanks, AngusIMG_3110.jpgIMG_3109.jpg

Spyder Garage

Bad bulb needs to be replaced.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Both bulbs should be lit. As you've replaced both then connection/wiring the obvious likely cause and I'm guessing near the rear of the Spyder.

I can't quite remember how the wiring goes to those two but I think there is a connector for each that you can reach by removing the black splash guard under the rear panels (3 torc screws each side and one at the back from memory). I may be getting mixed with the indicators but I think that's right for the rear lights as well.

I'd just try swapping the connectors around and see what happens. If the problem moves to the other side then its probably the connector (or possibly further back along the wiring), if it stays then it's the plug socket or the bit of wire between that and the connector. Of course it could be one of those annoying issues that disappears as soon as you touch the wiring:-)

By the way if you loose both rear lights on a Spyder (e.g. both bulbs blow) it will put the Spyder into limp home mode so definitely something that needs sorting.

Spyder Garage

Well it is brand new and under warranty soooo it will go get fixed! Here is a pic of the left and right side wiring i saw when checking the bulbs. The left (with issue) looks like the covering is torn back from the ride side.IMG_3108.jpgIMG_3107.jpg
    Angus H.

2016 Magma Red RS-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Sorry I was reading from my phone (small print) and missed that you switched the bulbs already.
    Must be a problem in the wiring and it's still under warranty. Let them sort it out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

and . It looks like they have you covered on the brake light question. Let the dealer fix it since it is new and under warranty. They should have caught this during prep.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    By the way if you loose both rear lights on a Spyder (e.g. both bulbs blow) it will put the Spyder into limp home mode so definitely something that needs sorting.
    I have to disagree. Burning out both bulbs. Whether it's the tail light filament or brake light filament. Will not cause a fault and/or put the Spyder into Limp Home Mode. The current draw buy either of those circuits is not monitored like the turn signal bulbs are. Confusion comes from failure of the brake light switch to close or the fuse for that circuit is burnt out will cause a brake failure code and resulting Limp Home Mode. Yes the brake lights don't work in that case either, but it has nothing to do with the bulbs.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You have bare wires showing on one bulb. Dealer must replace on BRP's warranty nickel.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have to disagree. Burning out both bulbs. Whether it's the tail light filament or brake light filament. Will not cause a fault and/or put the Spyder into Limp Home Mode. The current draw buy either of those circuits is not monitored like the turn signal bulbs are. Confusion comes from failure of the brake light switch to close or the fuse for that circuit is burnt out will cause a brake failure code and resulting Limp Home Mode. Yes the brake lights don't work in that case either, but it has nothing to do with the bulbs.

No worries I don't mind being corrected:-) It's been mentioned a few times in the past on this forum so I've always been careful to replace mine as soon as one side has gone - obviously not everything you read on SpyderLovers is true after all:-)

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

You could go into the whole checking wiring, plugs, harnesses and bulbs , some of which you have already done, but I agree let them fix the problem. Both should light up for running lights and go brighter for the brake lights. I would suspect the pigtail bulb to the harness....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It will be going to shop this week.
    Thanks again for the comments and help.
    I bought it 184 miles away so it will go to local dealer.
    Angus H.

2016 Magma Red RS-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    No worries I don't mind being corrected:-) It's been mentioned a few times in the past on this forum so I've always been careful to replace mine as soon as one side has gone - obviously not everything you read on SpyderLovers is true after all:-)
    It's been mentioned several times and gets repeated from time to time. Not as popular a myth as the magical mystery key walk. That cures every possible problem from it will not start to a flat tire. You just happened to be the one to repeat it when I decided to tackle it as just another myth.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It's been mentioned several times and gets repeated from time to time. Not as popular a myth as the magical mystery key walk. That cures every possible problem from it will not start to a flat tire. You just happened to be the one to repeat it when I decided to tackle it as just another myth.
    Ah but the mystery key walk is just one of those 'Count to 10' frustration approaches. The time it takes means you've calmed down and will actually think about what you're doing...and less likely to start beating your Spyder with a branch:-)