Spyder Garage

Default Canbus and brake light flashers and being seen safely

Hey all...I'm looking at the various mods for making my brakes flash when deceleration happens...not only when the brake is pressed.

One of my options is the Volo mod. I emailed them to see if it would work with my stock two lights and the third center one I plan on installing from Custom Dynamics.

I told them I have a 2014 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5. They said "The volomod is the one that could make your brake or turn signals flash, for it to be able to do that your bike must NOT be on Canbus.".

WTH is Canbus...I know cannabis from my partying years, but...this is new. Only terminology confused me. I'm assuming it has to do with the electrical and bulbs...but, assumption has gotten me in trouble at times.

Can anyone give me the easy definition and let me know how I can find out if my bike is on it or if it needs to go to rehab...?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on if the flashing during any type of deceleration is or is not better than Signal's flashing only if brake is depressed, let me know. Maybe if you have any suggestions.

Here's what I'm looking at other than a flashing mod with my personal notes...no need in responding.

Spyder Center Tail Light SPY-TAIL-LT $119.95 $119.95 Replaces spot between two tail lights as a center so it will be three rear lights between turn signal lights
    Spy LED Converted Taillights SPY-TAIL-CON $224.00 $224.00 Will triple play make all rear lights flash?
    SMART Spyder Triple Play SPY-SMART-TPU $149.95 $149.95 The Triple Play will work only when brake is pressed.
    Spyder LED Rear Turn Signals Spy-LED-Rear-Turn - (Amber SPY-LED-REAR-AMBER) $54.95 $0.00 Will this work with the triple play? No.
    Spyder Double Feature Lens SPY-TAIL-REF $19.95 $19.95 Replaces reflector right on top of rear tire making it a brake/run light??
    Street Magic RS Red Dual Brightsides™ (Running/Turn) SPY-RSBRIGHTSIDE-R-D $139.95 $139.95 These go on either side of rear tire replacing reflectors.

---------------

I'm also looking at Signal Dynamics license plate with modulator and their BackOFF Brake Hold Mod

- Black Classic Dual LED License Plate Frame W/ Red LEDs & 'Euro Clear' Lens

I'm asking them if it will work with the following making it flash as well as the brakes?

- BackOFF™ Brake Hold Module

Or can I use this Black AYN MOTORCYCLE License Plate Frame & Smart Module Combo
    And then get the fBackOFF™ Brake Hold Module or the other brake lights?

Hmmmm....lot's to think about...and this is the only ones I've researched so far...thoughts??

L8R...
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    Hey all...I'm looking at the various mods for making my brakes flash when deceleration happens...not only when the brake is pressed.
    The GearBrake unit should be all you need and is plug-n-play specific...

https://gearbrake.com/collections/sh...nt=15412515971

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Flash once only?

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    The GearBrake unit should be all you need and is plug-n-play specific...

https://gearbrake.com/collections/sh...nt=15412515971
    That's awesome...do you have one? I wanted to know if it flashes twice and then solid ONLY or does it continuaslly flash twice, then solid, then twice, then solid and so on...?

Here's the site's details:

• Provide a Rear Flashing Alert: Upon slowing, GearBrake reacts with a 2 second pulsing alert, then solidly illuminates the brake light until you release the brake.
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Spyder Garage

To actually answer your question, Canbus is the communication protocol the bike's computer and various sensors use to communicate. Your 2014 ST is most definitely canbus and I'm pretty sure all the Spyders for all years are also canbus but if I'm wrong on that multiple people will correct me
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    That's awesome...do you have one? I wanted to know if it flashes twice and then solid ONLY or does it continuaslly flash twice, then solid, then twice, then solid and so on...?

Here's the site's details:

• Provide a Rear Flashing Alert: Upon slowing, GearBrake reacts with a 2 second pulsing alert, then solidly illuminates the brake light until you release the brake.
    NO, I have an F3-S and when I was in the market they didn't have anything available. I am using an LED light bar that is adjustable from Electrical Connections... I wasn't too keen on the brake light always flashing whenever I let off the gas and the one from gearbrake doesn't seem to be adjustable...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic