Spyder Garage

Default How do I clean INSIDE my window?

There are some spots and junk inside my window. I can't reach it to clean it. What does a person (like me) do to clean that area?

Spyder window dirt inside.jpg

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    There are some spots and junk inside my window. I can't reach it to clean it. What does a person (like me) do to clean that area?

Spyder window dirt inside.jpg
    Its a giant pain but to get those spots off you will have to remove windshield. A lot of people just live with spots or go to wrapmyspyder.com and get a piece of vinyl film to cover that area

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Easy

Just feed a rag or towel in between the Windshield and the bracket and pull it through and rub I think back and forth until you losen up the dirt.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't sweat the small stuff. A dirty bike is a sign of a ridden bike: that is a sign of a happy rider!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Just feed a rag or towel in between the Windshield and the bracket and pull it through and rub I think back and forth until you losen up the dirt.
    +1 Easy to do, use a cleaner on the towel (use a thin towel as it will go through easier. I don't clean that area every time, but I do get to it a few times a season!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Maybe the "Alaska Grunge" look will be adopted by others. One washing of the "nanner" so far this year. The "baby" has yet to be washed. So many hours, so little time to ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I pretend the spots don't exist. There are times when you just have to appease the Dirt Gods and let them have a few nooks and crannies.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default Remove windshield

Takes 5 minutes. Then,treat the area with rain x for plastic. Keeps it nice longer.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLEANING THIS AREA

........An old cotton " T" shirt works very well .....it's very thin ..... the trick is getting some in to start the process ... a piece of wire with a hook works ........... Mike

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Though I would preface that with dampening the rag with cleaner that you use on the windscreen. It is really easy.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Ok then - will get a thin towel, dampen it, a little Rain X, slip it in there and clean the windshield. IF i wanted to remove the windshield, is there a video for that? I like to see it done before I start and then have to come back on this forum and ask all of you "How do I fix this XXXX I just broke?"
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just blast water through there with my pistol-grip nozzle on the garden hose... it gets most of it out OK, if not quite all. Good enough!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Removing the windshield...
    1.Remove the two screws that you see on the back of the windshield (one on each side...), that hold the trim-piece in place
    2.that trim-piece needs to be slid downward, and it will then pop loose from the windshield.
    (HINT: slip a playing card under the bottom edge of it, and use that to keep it from scratching the windshield...)
    3.Now you can see the four screws that hold the windshield in place (two on each side...) Have someone support it, while you unscrew them!
    Easy-Peasey!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

a piece of paper towel or something, and a paint stirrer or something thin, and go in from the bottom
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

After I've washed and rinsed the upper and under sides of my windshield I use a microfiber cloth folded over an old plastic insurance identification card (a hotel room key card you forgot to turn in works well) and slide it between the windshield and and frame. It's been doing the job just fine for 2 1/2 years and 25K+ miles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree with cuznjohn. Use a soft cloth and a paint stirring stick. Use a wet one first then a dry one to finish it off.

Spyder Garage

Default PAPER TOWELS -- NEVER

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    a piece of paper towel or something, and a paint stirrer or something thin, and go in from the bottom
    NEVER NEVER USE - PAPER ANYTHING on Plastic ..... Paper is made from WOOD and will Scratch the Plastic ..... maybe not an F-4 ..... but that is the exception ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    NEVER NEVER USE - PAPER ANYTHING on Plastic ..... Paper is made from WOOD and will Scratch the Plastic ..... maybe not an F-4 ..... but that is the exception ........ Mike
    I once knew a German moldmaker who specialized in polishing cores and cavities of very expensive medical device molds. He had 3 or 4 brands of tissue lined up on his bench, and he had graded them according to the abrasive qualities of the tissue. I forget which brands he used, but he had specific uses for each one.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

Default PAPER = SCRATCHES

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    I once knew a German moldmaker who specialized in polishing cores and cavities of very expensive medical device molds. He had 3 or 4 brands of tissue lined up on his bench, and he had graded them according to the abrasive qualities of the tissue. I forget which brands he used, but he had specific uses for each one.
    Exactly...... paper is an ABRASIVE ....... and ABRASIVES = SCRATCHES ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Totally agree with this, nothing touches my windshield but clean microfiber cloth. Even though I have an F4 windshield now, still use microfiber, it just cleans better. The Spyders body gets the same treatment, microfiber only. And separate cloths for the body and windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Exactly...... paper is an ABRASIVE ....... and ABRASIVES = SCRATCHES ...... Mike
    2015 RTL , Red