Thread: Factory CB

Spyder Garage

Default Factory CB

So, I had posted earlier about my transmissions from my Factory CB were not being well received by other cycles. Others say my transmission is scratchy and hard to understand. I have tried other headsets. I was told maybe the antenna, so I got and installed a J&M specific antenna for the Spyder. Didn't seem to help. So I just spoke with the dealer and he said that this is normal with the Can Am communication system. He says they don't play well with other systems. He said they increase the cost of the system each year, trying to eliminate them, as they are old technology. What say Ye?
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Have the factory system on our 2012 RTL and communicate with another the same. Both work good but short range. Have not tried to communicate with other types, Hondas,Harleys etc.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default Factory Unit

Have the factory unit installed on my 2012 RTS and my husband rides an 2013 HD TriGlide with factory CB... both work well.

Gina J

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    So, I had posted earlier about my transmissions from my Factory CB were not being well received by other cycles. Others say my transmission is scratchy and hard to understand. I have tried other headsets. I was told maybe the antenna, so I got and installed a J&M specific antenna for the Spyder. Didn't seem to help. So I just spoke with the dealer and he said that this is normal with the Can Am communication system. He says they don't play well with other systems. He said they increase the cost of the system each year, trying to eliminate them, as they are old technology. What say Ye?
    I had the BRP CB/Comm system on my 2010 RT. Complete waste of money !!! Same problems as you and alot of other electrical problems and codes.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends.....

Hi Dave,

Depends what he means by "other systems". CB band is CB band. Once it leaves the antenna, it doesn't matter if you're talking to a Spyder, a Harley or a Peterbilt. On the other hand, if you're using a non Can Am headset in your helmet, then people have reported occasional problems with that. The J & M antenna helped me out, but we just don't use the CB much anymore. The stock antenna install used a lot of thread locker on the base, effectively insulating the thing. Assemble the J & M without that stuff. Others on here have gone to non-ground plane antennas with mixed results.

My belief is that your dealer is trying to avoid dealing with this, as it is still under warranty. The Spyder CB system can be very frustrating. If you are so inclined, you could try a different dealership.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-25-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I just spoke with the dealer and he said that this is normal with the Can Am communication system. He says they don't play well with other systems.
    Total and utter BS.

The first factory CB we had in our riding group sounded better than ANY of the other systems in use; that included Goldwing, Harley and J&M aftermarket. Crisp and LOUD.
    Now I have the second one and people constantly comment on how good it sounds.

IF.....there aren't any loose connections (have you sprayed them ALL with contact cleaner?) the it is highly likely that you have a bad CB module.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Lazy Dealer

So I just spoke with the dealer and he said that this is normal with the Can Am communication system. He says they don't play well with other systems.
    Edit -- link to my original thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...imited-Trouble

BULL! Your dealer just doesn't want to deal with BRP in getting this issue resolved. I will see if I can find my own thread on similar troubles with the factory CB on a 2016 RT (I also had one on my 2012 RT and it was flawless). Note, once you see the thread on my CB woes, you will understand why the dealer doesn't want to help with this -- I am on my third unit since August 2016 (when I bought the bike). So far, this unit is performing well and I am slowly hooking my LEDs back up (BRP required that I disconnect them on the last round of replacement).

Push your dealer, or go find another that will take this issue up with BRP and act as your advocate .... All the best .... Ann
    Last edited by Spyder_Cowgirl; 05-26-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Add link
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default I figured it out

So I took the Tupperware off and put a ground wire from The Case of the CB to the chassis ground of the bike that took all the noise away and all of the muffled sound sounds great now

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I took the Tupperware off and put a ground wire from The Case of the CB to the chassis ground of the bike that took all the noise away and all of the muffled sound sounds great now
    Great.
    From just glancing at my "box" once, I assumed that the mounting screws were attached directly to a good frame ground.
    This "fix" might mean that you have some grounding straps loose somewhere else; might be worth a little inspection.

Then to take a slight turn.......does anybody know if a schematic for the CB "box" is available from any source.....BRP, J&M or anybody else ??
    I have to turn my volume UP all the way to be able to hear incoming transmissions, just barely.
    I'm hoping that the receiver has a "volume limiter" which is adjustable.
    And yes, all of the other audio functions work just fine; plenty of volume.

Spyder Garage

Default Ground

I think that is the way BRP mounts the CB and just needed a good ground to eliminate the engine noise that was causing all the static. Years ago I sold and installed CB's and Car stereo systems, and I know a good ground is important for the best results. From noise on stereo's to noise on CB's. Glad to have this resolved as I am planninig a week trip in June with others that have CB's, and it will be nice not to hear "I am sorry Dave, I can't understand you"!!

Spyder Garage

Iv'e got no dog in this fight, but I know that this has been a sore spot for many owners for years now, but isn't a CB just a CB? Back in the day, I had a cheapo CB in my VW van (I traveled a lot then) and I could talk to anybody, no matter what brand CB I or they had. What is it about Can-Am CB's that makes them so crappy? I mean, this is ancient technology, not like it was just invented last week and the bugs not yet worked out.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

The CB has its own volume control in the menu screen, is that all the way up?
    I am on my 3rd CB myself.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 05-31-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Iv'e got no dog in this fight, but I know that this has been a sore spot for many owners for years now, but isn't a CB just a CB?
    Well yes but like anything else the quality can vary, sometimes a LOT.

In this case, it seems to be the INSTALLATION that causes most of the problems.
    Improperly installed antennas seems to be the worst culprit.
    Now we have improper grounding too.
    Oh.....and the controls seem to be a little finicky sometimes too.

It does NOT appear that there is any inherent design defect with the radio itself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    The CB has its own volume control in the menu screen, is that all the way up?
    I assume that was directed to me ?

Yes, it is all the way up.

The AM/FM has plenty of volume and it is up only about 1/3 of the way.

I how have an adapter to plug my phone into the AUX input.
    When I get it back it will be interesting to see how the volume is on that input.