Thread: gas leak

Spyder Garage

Default gas leak

Hey folks have not been on for forever. my 09 rs is leaking gas from the main line with the filter the line can be moved back and fort about a 1/8 of an inch. can i add a hose clamp to the end of the line? the clamp on the line seem way to far back away from the end of the line about 1.5 inches any ideas? thanks hess

Spyder Garage

I assume you are saying the leak is coming from where you can move the line the 1/8" at the fuel filter. If so, you should remove the improperly placed clamp and put on a new one positioned and tightened such that nothing moves when the clamp is tightened properly. The clamp should be positioned so that it prevents the hose from being pulled over the raised bulge in the fuel filter tubing. The OEM clamps are the Oetiker variety that require a special pair of pliers to properly tighten them. As a work around you can get a fuel injector line clamp from an autoparts store and tighten it with a screwdriver.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Which End

Hmmm. I thought he was talking about the other end at the quick fitting. That end will move back and forth a little - I've done it - and the actual hose clamp is set back about that far - and they do begin to leak occasionally.

Ok Hess, which end are you talking about? The quick fitting can be replaced for 12 bucks but you can't put a hose clamp on it.

fuel line.jpg
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-25-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Re clamp....

If it is at the filter this would be a good time to replace the filter if you have not done it...injector clamps are more manageable than the oetiker clamps which as mentioned need special tool but are also size specific....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black