Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Difference between f3, f3s and f3s special

This might be a stupid question but im looking for a F3 but im not really sure what version to get. When it comes to looks i think i prefer the trippleblack of the F3 s Special but it is also more expensive than F3 and F3s. So im trying to learn what is the difference between the different versions of the F3.
    If im not totally wrong the main difference between the F3 and the F3s is the cruise control... But are there more differences?
    And F3s compared to F3s special is it just the colours or are there other differences like shocks or anything like that?
    Yes i know i should probably talk to the dealer and i will but in my experience its better to come prepared when buying something.

Spyder Garage

F-3 105 HorsePower, all other F-3s have 115 Horsepower

F-3 T & Limited have saddlebags and other goodies depending on the model

I am sure others will chime in with more info.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    F-3 105 HorsePower, all other F-3s have 115 Horsepower

F-3 T & Limited have saddlebags and other goodies depending on the model

I am sure others will chime in with more info.

Cruzr Joe
    Thank you very much for the quick answer Joe.
    I did not realize that there was a difference in horsepower between them. I thought that since they both share the same rotax 1330 ace they would have the same amount of horsepower. That was very interesting.
    And i know that there is a difference between f3s and f3t, but im not really interested in f3t because im not really into that touring look. No im talking about f3s Special. Its sometimes also called f3s ss. Maybe its not on the American market?
    I like the look of the f3s ss but since its more expensive than f3s im not really sure what you pay extra for more than the nice triple black color.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you like the looks of the SS in Triple-Black:

Buy The Motorcycle.jpg

Don't settle for a second choice: you'll always be wishing and wondering...
    You'll forget about the money LONG before you forget about the bike.

Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile Difference's

Wife an I have both versions of the F3S...only difference we have seen is the paint scheme. The rims on the Special Series are what most people call Black Chrome. Very pretty to look at on this bike. ( the triple black is a pain in the arse to keep lookin pretty especially after riding it 20 miles...the dust an dirt show up fast 😳. No other diff. That I've noticed since owning them.
    '15 F3S SE6 Pearly White (Hers)
    '16 F3S SE6 Special Series Triple Black (His)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2017

F3S comes with the new "Sport Mode" that allows you to relax the stability and traction control so you can drift around corners a bit if you choose!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Considering a Spyder View Post
    I did not realize that there was a difference in horsepower between them. I thought that since they both share the same rotax 1330 ace they would have the same amount of horsepower. That was very interesting.
    And i know that there is a difference between f3s and f3t, but im not really interested in f3t because im not really into that touring look. No im talking about f3s Special. Its sometimes also called f3s ss. Maybe its not on the American market?
    I like the look of the f3s ss but since its more expensive than f3s im not really sure what you pay extra for more than the nice triple black color.
    For 2015 the F3 and F3S had the same HP and most differences were cosmetic. 2016 - present the F3 is a true base model and this can be reflected by the price difference of the base 2015 F3 and the base 2017 F3.

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

2016 and newer, the base model is not available in an SE trans. Base model has 10 fewer HP, no cruise control, different seats (no red stitching and different vinyl) missing the vanity cover on the transmission, the gauge cluster grab rails are plastic instead of metal and has a different front grille without the contrast cross bar. The base model also has plain painted wheels. I think they did away with the metallic silver body brackets and they are all black now. Lastly the base model has a gloss black frame and a-arms.

I think that's it but I may have missed something.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everybody for their input and answers.
    Im still not completely sure what version to chose but i feel like i have a little more to go on now.
    I also checked the on can ams homepage both in Sweden and the American one and to add to my confusion it seems like the specs are slightly different.
    It seems like on the American version like many pointed out there is a difference in horsepowers between f3 and f3s and it seems like that changes was from 2016 and forward.
    In the Swedish version 2016 f3 and f3s have the same specs but there is a difference from the 2017 model.

I think i will soon need to visit a dealer and test drive a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

F3S also has RT style front fenders.
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everybody for their input and answers.
    Im still not completely sure what version to chose but i feel like i have a little more to go on now.
    I also checked the on can ams homepage both in Sweden and the American one and to add to my confusion it seems like the specs are slightly different.
    It seems like on the American version like many pointed out there is a difference in horsepowers between f3 and f3s and it seems like that changes was from 2016 and forward.
    In the Swedish version 2016 f3 and f3s have the same specs but there is a difference from the 2017 model.

I think i will soon need to visit a dealer and test drive a Spyder.
    The horse power reduction on the base model is only on the 2017; even on the American version. The 2015 & 2016 F3 & F3s have the same hp.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default derated engine

They derated the engine on the base F3. The 2015s have the same horsepower on all models.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    They derated the engine on the base F3. The 2015s have the same horsepower on all models.
    2016 also has the same hp rating throughout. The change didn't take place until 2017.
    Also, you can get cruise control on any model. The base F3 model has the older style front fenders, while the other 2 versions get the new version fenders that started out in 2013 in the upper lever models of all spyders.
    As you stated earlier, you should always get as much information as you can before preparing to purchase. I have found that in most cases, I end up knowing more about the bike than the salesman.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default '17 F3 base model

I have one. It has theSE6 transmission. For just over $200.00 I added cruise and the BRP tensioner.
    As for horsepower - I don't believe there is a difference. Check out the RPM's on advertised HP.
    If there is a difference ( can't convince me yet ) it sure doesn't feel like it lacks anything my '14 RT had power wise.
    From a person that has the base F3 and owned a '14 RT SE6
    Have fun
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

F3 = No farkle
    F3s = some farkle and "special paint and wheels"
    F3T = too much farkle
    F3L = way too much farkle
    Last edited by Road-Kill; 05-24-2017 at 05:07 PM.