Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I put my Spyder to bed today, for A Long Winter's Sleep!

Sad to say, I put the Spyder to bed today in advance a long Wisconsin Winter. We still have some nice days for riding short term but you'd have to bundle up to make it enjoyable. My routine is rather simple. I usually spend an afternoon detailing with lots of attention to the wheels and plastics. Top off the tank with nonethanol and a dash of Startron, pull the battery, add the full cover, and roll her into a corner of the garage. I prefer to park her on old pieces of carpet, no real benefit I suppose but it makes me feel better knowing she's not sitting on bare concrete. The Parking Brake is off and so ends another season on three wheels.

Now, where's that Leaf Rake and Snow Shovel?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Down by Madison here. Since I likely won't get 1K miles on the new ride before storage, I'll be keeping it topped off with 91 ethanol free gas/Stabil until either the snow flies or salt hits the roads. Likely mid November.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post
    Sad to say, I put the Spyder to bed today in advance a long Wisconsin Winter. We still have some nice days for riding short term but you'd have to bundle up to make it enjoyable. My routine is rather simple. I usually spend an afternoon detailing with lots of attention to the wheels and plastics. Top off the tank with nonethanol and a dash of Startron, pull the battery, add the full cover, and roll her into a corner of the garage. I prefer to park her on old pieces of carpet, no real benefit I suppose but it makes me feel better knowing she's not sitting on bare concrete. The Parking Brake is off and so ends another season on three wheels.

I'm fortunate that I have a warm basement for my RT. But if I had to leave in my cold garage, I would put a thick sheet of plastic under it ..... I've noticed over the past 30 years that my concrete floor Bleeds moisture during dramatic temperature changes. ... This moisture evaporates but it goes UP while it does so. Anything on that floor gets that moisture - which will cause rust, corrosion etc. .... I hope your situation is different ...... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 03:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Time for the "big sleep" in those Northern climates. When I was in Alaska, I would ride until the first black ice on the roads then....had to wait until mid March or April to ride again. I had a heated garage though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Depending on the weather, I normally put my bike to bed just after Halloween, because of the weather and the shorter days.
    But if there is some 50°-60° weather I'll get out for a few hours as I can.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 08:36 PM.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Lucky me here in Central Texas, where winter is a very short event. fall/winter/spring is the riding season here. This past summer we had 80 consecutive days of triple digit temperatures, hitting 116 several times. Too hot to ride, at least for me, even with a mesh jacket and wet neck/head gaiter.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Lucky me here in Central Texas, where winter is a very short event. fall/winter/spring is the riding season here. This past summer we had 80 consecutive days of triple digit temperatures, hitting 116 several times. Too hot to ride, at least for me, even with a mesh jacket and wet neck/head gaiter.
    Try a cooling vest and a camel pack. They work well for me when it stays 110 most of the day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post

In SC Wisconsin.
    Did a 4 hour ride.
    Cool but fun.
    Leaves are looking good.
    Put on a nap when the salt comes

Spyder Garage

I will be putting my into hibernation next week.

Next week I will be doing my first oil change/oil filter change, 'O' rings, putting in stabil (into the gas tank) then putting it on a battery maintainer for the off season until April 2024.

I will be switching over to the snowmobile season in Nov.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-23-2023 at 12:11 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I live in Kansas and ride year around. My ride from home to work is really only 10 minutes, so I can ride with the temps as low as 20F. Any lower and I tend to ride to work with my wife in the car. Otherwise, no snow, no ice, I go.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

31, heavy frost and spitting snow this morning with winds coming across the lake from you Wisconsin boys. No lake effect yet but it’s a coming very soon! All thought they are calling for a 60 degree day on Wednesday. To dark in the morning and to dark at night. Deer are running heavy now so My Bella went to sleep yesterday along with the the toyhauler water lines and pumps and antifreeze. When I start one set, I continue with the next set like lawnmowers, spyder, chainsaws, weed eater, etc. one weekend and all done.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dog gone, down to 60F here last nite, but 80 today, no clouds, another good riding day.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

One advantage about living in South Carolina is that we ride year round.

Spyder Garage

Wink

-7C/20F and about an 1" on the ground this morning so I winterized the Spyder and this is what it looks like now? I have the Spyder scheduled for hand warmer install on Wednesday morning(part of the sale agreement) but not sure if I will make it or need them until next Spring? The sled has excellent multiple adjustment handwarmers and full wind deflectors.

I tried to rotate the photos (they are correct in my album) but not sure how to do it here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

An addendum to my post #6: As it turns out, even though this time of year and the 5 or so months ahead is good riding weather here in Central Texas, It may be awhile before I will be able to get out there. I started Chemotherapy and Radiation today (10/23) for stage 2B non-small cell lung cancer in two areas of my right lung. I have been cautioned about driving, much less riding, until I find out what, if any, side effects I may experience, i.e. nausea/vomiting, elevated temperature, rashes, tiredness, and the list goes on, hair loss being another, but that only means that I will have to tighten my helmet chin strap. I've always wondered what I would look like bald, so I've started out by getting a military buzz cut ( been a VERY long time since I've had one, and the wife even admits that it looks better than she thought it would), so now, when what little hair I have left begins to fall out, I can shave my head in the shower every morning. What could be better that that? Well, not having cancer I guess would be better.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My Baby has to come home first, but she will not be put to bed until the Salt comes out on the roads.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I was going to break out the battery tenders until I found out that the latter part of this week is going to be around 70. Going to be colder next week so I'll probably prepare them for their long winter's nap at that point.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

An addendum to my post #6: As it turns out, even though this time of year and the 5 or so months ahead is good riding weather here in Central Texas, It may be awhile before I will be able to get out there. I started Chemotherapy and Radiation today (10/23) for stage 2B non-small cell lung cancer in two areas of my right lung. I have been cautioned about driving, much less riding, until I find out what, if any, side effects I may experience, i.e. nausea/vomiting, elevated temperature, rashes, tiredness, and the list goes on, hair loss being another, but that only means that I will have to tighten my helmet chin strap. I've always wondered what I would look like bald, so I've started out by getting a military buzz cut ( been a VERY long time since I've had one, and the wife even admits that it looks better than she thought it would), so now, when what little hair I have left begins to fall out, I can shave my head in the shower every morning. What could be better that that? Well, not having cancer I guess would be better.
    ~~~~prayers headin’ your way old guy. Hope you beat the rap. Not that anyone asked but, lots of cancer in my immediate family. Dad passed away from colon cancer back in the 80’s when it wasn’t the issue it is today. Mom died in '06 from both brain and lung cancer. My sister (11 years my senior) had a double mastectomy better than 10 years ago. Once in a while I wonder if the shoe will drop for me, citing my gene pool?!? That said, my plans to combat the trend is to do a water fast sometime in the not too distant future, a lengthy one at that. Shooting for 40 days (yeah, just like Moses, on & on). Tried back in the late 80’s and was able to achieve 36 days on straight water. Mrs. Jake is behind me. I know and trust a friend/Hygenic doctor that resides in Costa Rica I’d like to watch over me when I go for this 2nd (40 day) attempt. Problem is wifey wants me to stay and fast in Flor-uh-duh. I don't want to drop the kind of jack it will take to fast (under supervision) here. CR is so much more affordable...

Anywho - luv your Mr. Natural avatar. Crumb was/is my fave cartoonist & we here too are glad those triple digit hunert degree days are gone bye. Cheers old guy!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    A nod is as good as a wink, to a blind horse
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-24-2023 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Removed political comment!
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Be with you!!! Hang in there, and if you feel well enough for wind therapy by all means go out and get it. Life's too short and there a ton to see out there!!! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Here in NJ, I'm just setting up the RT for the Polar Bear Grand Tour season. The mantra here is, "If there's no snow, we go!".
    Last edited by RayBJ; 10-24-2023 at 10:14 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

To you TX Just keep fightin'---------

One more rde to warm up the oil and fill the tank then the goes up on blockes for and oil and filter change. I'll do a brake fluuid flush while it's up there. Snow predicted ( cold temps ) later this week.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your health problems and hope you will recover quickly and be back riding soon, Being a cancer survivor myself I know about what you are going through. Best wishes.

Spyder Garage

Our thoughts and go with you my friend.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your kind words and best wishes. The cancer was caught early and the prognosis is quite good. If I can get out on the Dream during this, you can bet your sweet bippy that I will do so.
    underdog.jpg

Spyder Garage

It's getting down to the mid 30's here, but still warm enough to ride in the afternoon.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black