Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth kit on a 2016?

Hi all,

Bought a 2016 RTS. Wanted the bluetooth kit, parts guy handed me the BRP kit (wiring harness with the SENA). Watched some videos on installation on youtube. Went to install, and my radio is not like those in the video. Mine has one big connector; the ones in the videos had two - the second empty one is for the CB kit. So now I'm puzzled I'm assuming BRP changed the radio in 2016 or earlier. Sooo..

I see the connector is full - every hole has a wire. There has to be (I HOPE) a pair of wires for the master audio that I can connect to the SENA. I am using the GPS 1/8" plug wire tied to the frame for my phone (via a 6' extension cable run up to my X-Grip). I put on Pandora and use the GPS. The USB and 1/8" female jack in the trunk are inputs. I've found nothing in the wiring diagram that says a separate plug exists. Being that all wires are in the connector, I assume that means there are connectors located where the XM and CB would mount. Based on what I see, I can't use a wired intercom unless I buy the $800 CB kit because IT has the round DIN connectors in the harness.

I currently have a pair of uClear bluetooth intercoms. I paired them to the SENA for fun, plugged my phone in. I heard the music & GPS fine, until I realized I can pair them together for intercom OR pair them to the SENA. So it's either music OR intercom not both . I would be happy with the SENA if I still had intercom! I play music and use my phones GPS. I see tons of cheap BT helmet intercoms on Amazon that say they connect to 4 or 6 devices, thinking of dropping the uClear.

So has anyone integrated bluetooth on a 2016/2017? If so how please !! Or have a BT system that lets you hear the phone in both helmets AND still have the intercom?

Thanks!
    Steve

radio2.jpgradio.jpg

Spyder Garage

Which model Uclear do you have? I have the older 100 series and have them setup for intercom and my phone and my SM10 Bluetooth adaptor. All three work just fine.

Spyder Garage

They did not change the radio.
    Because you have the XM radio you have the Entertainment Harness.
    If you notice the BRP Sena kit has 2 cables. A long one and that short one in your picture.
    If you did not have the ENT harness you would use both cables. The short one plugs into the long one and the square connector plugs into the radio.
    For you, you do not use the short one. The long one plugs into one of the CB connectors.

The kit instructions should have explained this.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Same ones?

Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Which model Uclear do you have? I have the older 100 series and have them setup for intercom and my phone and my SM10 Bluetooth adaptor. All three work just fine.
    I have the 100's also. Maybe I am missing something !! The instructions say to pair as intercom OR to phone. Maybe I have to try both.

Spyder Garage

Default I'll track it down then!

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    They did not change the radio.
    Because you have the XM radio you have the Entertainment Harness.
    If you notice the BRP Sena kit has 2 cables. A long one and that short one in your picture.
    If you did not have the ENT harness you would use both cables. The short one plugs into the long one and the square connector plugs into the radio.
    For you, you do not use the short one. The long one plugs into one of the CB connectors.

The kit instructions should have explained this.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. I'll track down where the CB harness is and look at it. Also re-read the instructions! Just a note - I did watch your video about connecting the SENA with the homemade cable. The radio in your video has two big connectors. That's the difference I was pointing out. Mine has only one - with all the wires in place. But I didn't think to look if BRP put connectors on them and put them near where you install the XM / CB / etc.

Steve
    Last edited by stevencovert; 05-22-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Thanks Bob. I'll track down where the CB harness is and look at it. Also re-read the instructions! Just a note - I did watch your video about connecting the SENA with the homemade cable. The radio in your video has two big connectors. That's the difference I was pointing out. Mine has only one - with all the wires in place. But I didn't think to look if BRP put connectors on them and put them near where you install the XM / CB / etc.

Steve
    Interesting.... I have never seen that before and MC Dave has sold the BT cable to 2016 owners.
    I cannot quite tell by the picture but are you sure it's one big connector and not 2 now right next to each other that look like one?
    Did you unplug it?

If it is one, makes me wonder if later 2016's now come with the ENT harness due to this change.

I wish you lived close to me so I could have a look and ring out the wiring.

If this is a change, I am sure BRP has documented this in the new service manuals or a TSB.
    I would love to get my hands on that for future cables and understanding the BT setup.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

If you could unplug it, can you tell me how many pins are in the connector?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Simple fix

I have a cable that will fix you up getting the Bluetooth dongle working with the square connector you have shown in the picture. Sent you a PM give me a call.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    I have a cable that will fix you up getting the Bluetooth dongle working with the square connector you have shown in the picture. Sent you a PM give me a call.
    Doc, look at the radio picture. Not the square connector anymore.

And if he has ENT harness anyway because he has XM radio, he already has the cable from the stock BRP BT set.

I just did some research on BRP site and the stock BRP BT kit has not changed. They still say is the same kit for 2016.

So he has all he needs. He uses one of the CB connectors to plug in the BRP cable. Done....

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-22-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Doc, look at the radio picture. Not the square connector anymore.

And if he has ENT harness anyway because he has XM radio, he already has the cable from the stock BRP BT set.

I just did some research on BRP site and the stock BRP BT kit has not changed. They still say is the same kit for 2016.

So he has all he needs. He uses one of the CB connectors to plug in the BRP cable. Done....

Bob
    Looking at the picture shows that RDO-2 connector is not installed. The square connector he shows is RDO-2 which has the signals for the XM or CB but in the case shown the connector has the 5 signals for the dongle with the purple connector connecting to the dongle harness that mounts the dongle in the front trunk. Better location for the dongle is the rear trunk.

Spyder Garage

Looking at the picture shows that RDO-2 connector is not installed. The square connector he shows is RDO-2 which has the signals for the XM or CB but in the case shown the connector has the 5 signals for the dongle with the purple connector connecting to the dongle harness that mounts the dongle in the front trunk. Better location for the dongle is the rear trunk.
    I cannot fully tell by the picture but he is saying there is no other connector on the radio. I download the picture and tried to zoom in on it.
    I think I see the rubber plug over the other connector but not sure.

I guess we wait to see what is what. But you maybe right, he maybe not looking good enough to see the rubber plug over the other connector.
    He said he watched my video and I show the other connector and the rubber plug, but he says its not there.

But needless to say either way, he has all he needs cable wise.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Still on the hunt!

I cannot fully tell by the picture but he is saying there is no other connector on the radio. I download the picture and tried to zoom in on it.
    I think I see the rubber plug over the other connector but not sure.

I guess we wait to see what is what. But you maybe right, he maybe not looking good enough to see the rubber plug over the other connector.
    He said he watched my video and I show the other connector and the rubber plug, but he says its not there.

But needless to say either way, he has all he needs cable wise.

Bob
    Hi all thanks for the feedback!! If this is really a change to the stock entertainment harness we need to adapt

Still looking for the elusive CB cable. GOt half the bike torn down. I watched a video where they went to install the CB antenna and I saw a purple plug, so I tore into that area - nothing there. They were working a 2012 RT though. The spot where the CB mounts (under the radio) has no cables nearby that I can find (yet). Hopefully these pics will help you out. Good pic of the radio (one plug) & part number. Will count up the number of pins tomorrow. Can't really tell on the wiring diagram on the CD I bought - a little fuzzy zoomed in.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Hi all thanks for the feedback!! If this is really a change to the stock entertainment harness we need to adapt

Still looking for the elusive CB cable. GOt half the bike torn down. I watched a video where they went to install the CB antenna and I saw a purple plug, so I tore into that area - nothing there. They were working a 2012 RT though. The spot where the CB mounts (under the radio) has no cables nearby that I can find (yet). Hopefully these pics will help you out. Good pic of the radio (one plug) & part number. Will count up the number of pins tomorrow. Can't really tell on the wiring diagram on the CD I bought - a little fuzzy zoomed in.

Steve

Would you be willing to call me?
    I PM'ed you my phone number.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I think your getting confused but cannot tell by your radio picture.

The stock Spyder with NO XM or CB (ENT Harness required), or NO Bluetooth, you will only have ONE connector and harness plugged into the radio.
    Like what you see now. That one big connector hooked up. That is stock.

When you add the ENT harness or the BT dongle, you will plug that into the EMPTY plug on the radio that will have a rubber cap over it. It's to the left of the main harness in your picture. This is where the square connector goes. Directly into the radio.

This is what the radio connectors look like with the radio removed.

Please check that this EMPTY connector is there ON THE RADIO, and has a rubber cap over it.
    I cannot tell by your pictures of the radio.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by finless; 05-22-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default I am blind with readers I guess!

I think your getting confused but cannot tell by your radio picture.

The stock Spyder with NO XM or CB (ENT Harness required), or NO Bluetooth, you will only have ONE connector and harness plugged into the radio.
    Like what you see now. That one big connector hooked up. That is stock.

When you add the ENT harness or the BT dongle, you will plug that into the EMPTY plug on the radio that will have a rubber cap over it. It's to the left of the main harness in your picture. This is where the square connector goes. Directly into the radio.

This is what the radio connectors look like with the radio removed.

Please check that this EMPTY connector is there ON THE RADIO, and has a rubber cap over it.
    I cannot tell by your pictures of the radio.

I put a flashlight on the radio and looked up close, saw nothing. Started to pull the radio to get a pic - THERE IS THE CAP! It filled the space so well I couldn't tell with my old man reader glasses. Holy cow I tore apart half the bike for nothing . Well Bob and Doc I owe you for keeping me motivated until the obvious slapped me in the face! Now I have to look it over and decide whether to route the cables to the trunk (if I can do it neatly) or get Doc's cable. I messed with the parts from the kit so I doubt the dealer will take it back - which also means I'll have to get another SENA. Big PITA. If I can pop out the rubber boot for the existing inputs in the trunk and route through that, I'll probably do that. I can trim the boot and use black silicon to seal up.

Anyways - I did manage to link my uClears to the SENA, then press press the UP button to initiate conversion - which it did - but pressing DOWN to stop conversion did NOT re-link to the SENA for the music. Grrrr.... I have the latest firmware. I'll get into that after I figure out what I'm gonna do with the cabling. I want to get a full face after finding over 40% of the injuries are to the jaw, so I'm looking at the BILT with the built in SENA bluetooth. Mid range quality, for $250 seems like a good deal. Just will have to pair it up and be sure it's smart enough to know to reconnect to the SENA after talking. I'm lucky enough to have a Cycle Gear 15 minutes away in Norfolk, VA. Very dangerous to have all that candy so close...

If / when I ryde to your part of the country, I owe you two several beers & a steak dinner! Bob, NOW I can use your video to guide me as I adapt it to my situation!!

Frustration is replaced with enthusiasm!!!

Thanks again!!
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Better location for the dongle is the rear trunk.
    Totally agree. I had it installed in my 2017 by the dealer, they put it in the frunk. Reception sucked. I read on here to put it in the trunk, so i tore the bike apart, and moved it. It works perfect from back there.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I put a flashlight on the radio and looked up close, saw nothing. Started to pull the radio to get a pic - THERE IS THE CAP! It filled the space so well I couldn't tell with my old man reader glasses. Holy cow I tore apart half the bike for nothing . Well Bob and Doc I owe you for keeping me motivated until the obvious slapped me in the face! Now I have to look it over and decide whether to route the cables to the trunk (if I can do it neatly) or get Doc's cable. I messed with the parts from the kit so I doubt the dealer will take it back - which also means I'll have to get another SENA. Big PITA. If I can pop out the rubber boot for the existing inputs in the trunk and route through that, I'll probably do that. I can trim the boot and use black silicon to seal up.

Anyways - I did manage to link my uClears to the SENA, then press press the UP button to initiate conversion - which it did - but pressing DOWN to stop conversion did NOT re-link to the SENA for the music. Grrrr.... I have the latest firmware. I'll get into that after I figure out what I'm gonna do with the cabling. I want to get a full face after finding over 40% of the injuries are to the jaw, so I'm looking at the BILT with the built in SENA bluetooth. Mid range quality, for $250 seems like a good deal. Just will have to pair it up and be sure it's smart enough to know to reconnect to the SENA after talking. I'm lucky enough to have a Cycle Gear 15 minutes away in Norfolk, VA. Very dangerous to have all that candy so close...

If / when I ryde to your part of the country, I owe you two several beers & a steak dinner! Bob, NOW I can use your video to guide me as I adapt it to my situation!!

Frustration is replaced with enthusiasm!!!

Thanks again!!
    Steve
    Use the cable you have and run it to the rear trunk. Coil up the excess in the radio compartment.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default YAY! Complete! Even made a video.

Hi All!

Again thanks to Finless I was SO simple I couldn't believe I turned a 2 hour project into a 2 day project.

BRP Bluetooth finally installed on a 2016 RTS! Now to put it back together and get everything talking to each other

Spyder Garage

Glad you got it... You had me worried they changed the radio

Glad they did not!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

You do not need the 12V cig plug to power the Sena SM10.
    The BRP cable has the USB plug which will power the Sena but ONLY when the key is on.

Now something to be aware of.
    The SM-10 has a battery in it. It you leave the SM-10 on with the key off, eventually the battery in the SM10 will drain and it will power off.
    When you come back out to the Spyder you will have to wait about 10-15 minute for the battery to charge enough before the SM-10 will start working again.

Hope that helps.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-23-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black