Spyder Garage

Default Question for folks with the factory radio and bluetooth installed...

This question only applies to folks with the factory radio and the Sena Bluetooth dongle installed. When you change the AM/FM/XM volume from the handle bar, does it change the volume of the audio in your Bluetooth headset (not speakers or wired headset - I'm only asking about a Bluetooth paired headset)? If year makes a difference, I'm asking about a 2013 RS/ST/RT.

Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Default From Memory

I don't believe the handlebar has any control, except if you totally mute the volume. Then it will cut out the headset.
    We have a sena 20s paired tot our RTs 2014.

I can verify later if someone else doesn't confirm shortly.

Where about in NY are you?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The volume is controlled by the headset, not the handlebar volume control. That is except for mute. That can be done from the handlebars. The gps overrides mute.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yep what they said, Mute only when Bluetoothing, if it's overall volume, I read the Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth adapter MotorcycleDave sent me has an Audio Boost setting that can be turned on, and that the 20s' have it in the headsets.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Yes, everyone is correct.
    When using the SENA Bluetooth dongle, the volume controls on the handlebar only adjust the speaker volume, not the volume of the radio to the bluetooth headset.
    You can get a little boost of the volume directly from the radio by increasing the treble and the bass controls. Too much increase and the sound will become unpleasant.
    If you double tap the center button on the sm-10 bluetooth dongle, you first enable the volume boost, and double tapping again disables the volume boost.
    The headset volume is then controlled by the control on the individual headset.

The mute function works from the handlebar controls.
    You can set the bike speakers to "off" from the audio page of the lcd in order to avoid hearing an echo. By echo, I mean the sound coming from the bike speakers and the headset at the same time. There's a little bit of a delay to the headset speakers, and the echo is, in my opinion, undesirable.
    For myself, I've found a better way. I prefer to keep the speakers "on" but the volume at the very lowest. That way, when you choose, it's very easy to listen to the bike speakers when you choose, without listening to the headset, either when parked, or when washing the bike, etc.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the quick replies!

I have a Sena SMH10 headset now paired to my phone. I was considering adding the factory radio / XM / GPS to my 2013 ST-S because I would prefer to be able to control audio functions from the handlebars. I find the controls for the Sena headset less than ideal. But if the volume control does not also control the volume to the Sena BT transmitter, it makes it less appealing.

Any one have the wiring diagrams for an RT with all the trimmings?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I don't believe the handlebar has any control, except if you totally mute the volume. Then it will cut out the headset.
    We have a sena 20s paired tot our RTs 2014.

I can verify later if someone else doesn't confirm shortly.

Where about in NY are you?

I'm over in Webster.