Spyder Garage

Default What's this and why isn't there a hose on it?

Ps there is a loose line tie wrapped downwards near it as if it were a drain. IMG_0001.jpg

Spyder Garage

How about a shot from further back and some more info so folks can try to identify it.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

That's a fair comment my bad I was slightly rushed and panicked, illl post one today. It's just under the spark plug of the forward cylinder on the right . I noticed it when I moved the air box to change the SP wire. Thought perhaps I knocked it off but now I don't think so. The Spyder runs fine without it. There is a little pressure if anything, certainly no vacuum. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Fitting looks like it was used

That metal fitting looks as though it has had something on it for a while. There is only dirt on the initial 1/4" from the block. I would tend to think something slipped off.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Since you posted this in the GS/RS Shoptalk we can assume it's at least one of those models, but what year might help as well. Your user profile and/or Signature don't tell us what bike/engine you're referring to. More info as well as a wider shot.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Need more to go on....

From the look it could be a weep outlet of sorts and could have had a drain hose connected leading away from the engine case and wiring. It could also be for other setup or testing and would have had a dust cap on it. Hard to say from the picture...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing hose

This is on your 2008 I take it? Right side, near front spark plug - appears to be solenoid valve part number 12. Looks like there is a hose coming up to it from below from the clutch housing. Your missing hose goes from the nipple you show up to a fitting on the front throttle body. Has a check valve and other sundry parts. As shiny as the metal is, it hasn't been gone for too long. Did you have it to the dealer for that knocking noise? Maybe they still have your missing hose unless you find it in there someplace. Check the nipple at the throttle body and see if the other end is also missing. I think I would restore that to working order.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-22-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much, yes it's a 2008 and yes it was at the dealer for the knock. They tested the oil pressure and all ok. Just got back from a short ride and it threw up a P0520. Spyder codes says this points to an oil pressure switch so I'm going to look into that missing hose and pray that is contributing to this error.

Spyder Garage

Default Missing hose

#snowbelt spyder thanks for the breakdown, the tit near the #12 does not show a hose attached. The dangling hose goes to a canister of sorts. I am attempting a better photo. The photo doesn't appear upright but if you rotate 90 degrees clockwise, you see the hose tie wrapped downward and at the top right is the unit with the missing hose. The black canister is where the other end of it goes. Thanks again for your input!
    IMG_0002.jpg

Spyder Garage

Well, when I enlarged the diagram for part number 12, and saw your photos, it does seem to show that the valve has three nipples on it - not just the two like I originally thought. My fault. So, the picture that you took of it could very well be normal - it's just showing the port that isn't supposed to be connected to anything. I can't find any other parts diagram that shows anything attached to that third port. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that valve has something to do with your vacuum booster for your clutch. You do have the SM5 don't you? I did't see that the first time. Sorry for the confusion on my part. You're probably not missing a hose after all.

That black plastic canister is clearly your charcoal canister. If the dangling hose goes to it, then it looks like a previous owner modified the canister / purge valve system to vent differently, and perhaps wanted to defeat the system all together. Or, they may have just wanted to extend the vent from the canister down under the machine rather than having it vent inside the plastic. The original design is attached. Part 18 is the purge valve: part 23 is the way the vent line was originally designed.

So, I would say to trace out your lines to see what, if anything, is not correct. Everything may be OK with these two items and your recent code is not related. Based on what you've described, neither of these would affect an oil pressure switch - but your dealer DID mess around with it. And if you plan on keeping that machine for a few years, you might want to get a repair manual on CD. Usually around 20 bucks USD. Google will find you some.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-22-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget there was a recall to extend that vent hose so the extension is likely by brp.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Don't forget there was a recall to extend that vent hose so the extension is likely by brp.
    You're right. I just remembered that. Thanks for bringing that up.

So Kenuck, Upon review of instant replay, I think the bottom line is that nothing is wrong with either of these items. There's no missing hose, and the dangling hose is an authorized mod.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-22-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Doug

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kenuck View Post
    Thanks very much, yes it's a 2008 and yes it was at the dealer for the knock. They tested the oil pressure and all ok. Just got back from a short ride and it threw up a P0520. Spyder codes says this points to an oil pressure switch so I'm going to look into that missing hose and pray that is contributing to this error.
    It could be from your clutch assist. Put your bike in neutral and check how the pull on the clutch lever is. Now crank it and check and see if the clutch pull got easier. This could be part of the vacuum assist for the clutch.
    David

Spyder Garage

Thanks Doug and David, you have made things much more clear, I checked the switch as per instructions found in this forum. It was fine, cleaned up the connection and went for a long ride, all good. Here's hoping she settles down some for homecoming!
    Ken

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Thanks for the info, that has to be what it is.