Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooling vests

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    In 13 or 14 BRP added the cutouts to the RT windshield and it made a huge difference. I had one if their vented windshields on my 10 and 13 and it was not worth the extra money but the new ones with the cutouts are great.

You might also try adding Baker Air Wings for additional air flow also the BRP Adjustable Air Vents are great.
    That first statement left me a bit confused. If the shields have the SAME cutouts/vents, why would there be a big difference ??

So.....after reading some old threads about this subject my plan of attack is:
    Convert my solid shield to vented......by making cutouts in the shield to match the openings in the mount. I suspect that this will be a LOT cheaper than buying a new shield with the holes already in it.
    Then adding the BRP adjustable vents too if needed. Problem with that is I have not been able to find them......with my first couple of Google searches. If anybody has a link that would be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Interesting. Not sure my electrical system would handle it....AND their exclusive distributor says "Out of stock".
    Don't know how long that has been the case but at $1500 I probably don't care.

Spyder Garage

I have a used veskimo system for sale if anyone wants it. To be honest its just too cumbersome for me. But it does work well. My loss is your gain. Make me an offer and it just might be yours for a song. Technically its a size small but for this one, too small is better than too big as its got VERY adjustable straps connecting the panels. I am 240lbs and it fits me fine and will size down to much smaller sizes with the velcro straps.

veskimo-9-qt-body-cooling-system.jpg
    Last edited by jcthorne; 05-25-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    CoolVest works well in hot weather!!
    I have used it for many years in Summer hot weather riding.
    About 2 1/2 hours cooling; then put in another set of CoolVest cold packets (carried in soft insulated cooler).
    Military use them in summer deployment overseas.
    http://store.coolvest.com/
    Jim

Been using this vest for 2 years...works like a champ!!!!
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Cognac

Grip Puppies
    Laser Alignment
    F4 Custom Plus3 Wide with Vent and front blackout
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Ultimate Mid Rider with Driver Backrest
    GearBrake - Smart Brake Module
    Custom Dynamics High Mount Brake Light with Flasher Module
    Lamonster RAM Universal X Grip Cell Phone Holder
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff with. 20oz Bottle Holder
    Lamonster FBB Highway Brackets - Dually Trident Black
    Best Warranty until 10/28/2019

Spyder Garage

We ordered ours on Amazon, about $40-50. We are in Florida and Ryde all summer, well worth the money!!!.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    In my experience cooling vests do not work in humid climates. I will remove mine east of NM and not pull it out again until I'm back in the desert. In a dry climate they work great.

What she said. Cooling is produced by the evaporation of the moisture and will be less effective in high humidity areas. I have the cheap Bilt sold by Cycle Gear and it

works great here in the Southwest where it is "dryer than a popcorn f--t".

I also wear the Frog Tog cooling neck wrap. Soak both of these in water, put them on and away you go!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But Jack...
    I thought you explained evaporative cooling as being ineffective because:
    "While the Ladies in the wet Tee-Shirts are probably nice and cool; it only makes me more uncomfortable! ""
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The best evaporative cooling vest I've found is the BMW one.

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-M.../dp/B00CQ6GUDC

They're expensive, but work really well. The cheaper ones, like the Cycle Gear, which I also own, get hard when dried out and then feel slimy when you rehydrate them. The BMW one does not and lasts longer.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks, A wet T shirt aah?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I don't have experience with one east of the Mississippi but I was thinking that might be the case.

Ms Noles, if you're not familiar with how cooling vests work, it is by evaporation. You soak the vest in water and then as you move through the air the water evaporates. Evaporation sucks up heat which it pulls from your body, making you cooler. In humid climates evaporation does not work as efficiently as it does in dry climates, but it does work. The only way for you to find out if one will work for you is to buy one and try it out. You will need a mesh jacket over it so the air can flow easily against the vest.

On second thought, get a cotton shirt, soak it in cool water, put it on and go for a ride. If it cools you down any you will know it. This should give you a good idea if you want to try an actual cooling vest. The cotton shirt will dry out in just a few minutes but you'll get an idea of how well it might work. A cooling vest holds a lot of water and keeps you cooled anywhere from a half hour to maybe an hour and a half.

Here in the dry west my cooling vest lasts around 45 to 60 minutes and cools me something like 10° below ambient. I don't wear mine unless the temp is around 95° +.

Spyder Garage

Default hyperkewl

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Noles View Post
    I was curious if anyone could recommend a great cooling vest for riding? Male and Female.. It's getting warm down south.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...e-cooling-vest. you can find it on amazon also. As I go down the road i take a bottle of water from my spyder cup and poor it down my back and front. I take frozen bottles of water, tea and trail mix also, but I dont put those down the front and back. we did 500 miles yesterday at 98 deg. buckeye to coolidge to globe to salt river canyon to forest lakes estates to payson back to buckeye...just had to put the vest on the way back into the valley. I take the water soaked vest in a garbage bag partially filled with water..yes its dripping when i put it on. it wont be that way long
    Last edited by marty1096; 05-29-2017 at 01:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

PM Sent to JCThrone
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marty1096 View Post
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...e-cooling-vest. you can find it on amazon also. As I go down the road i take a bottle of water from my spyder cup and poor it down my back and front. I take frozen bottles of water, tea and trail mix also, but I dont put those down the front and back. we did 500 miles yesterday at 98 deg. buckeye to coolidge to globe to salt river canyon to forest lakes estates to payson back to buckeye...just had to put the vest on the way back into the valley. I take the water soaked vest in a garbage bag partially filled with water..yes its dripping when i put it on. it wont be that way long
    That appears to be the same as the Cycle Gear vest and also available at many other places with many other names. (no knock, just FYI to others)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    CoolVest works well in hot weather!!
    I have used it for many years in Summer hot weather riding.
    About 2 1/2 hours cooling; then put in another set of CoolVest cold packets (carried in soft insulated cooler).
    Military use them in summer deployment overseas.
    http://store.coolvest.com/
    Jim
    Thanks for this info. Ordered mine today. It has been quite hot and humid in San Antonio, with heat indices around 105 degrees, 70+% humidity. Heck, I'll use this to work on the yard, too.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS