Spyder Garage

Default Wife and I are Bumming!!!

Went for a ride on Thursday night and we where hearing a noise coming from the right side of the bike. At first I thought is was the front wheel bearing. Friday I did some investigating and the front wheel bearing was ok. Removed the side panels and lifted rear wheel off of the ground. Had bike in 1st gear and I found my problem. It is a $18.00 part that could mean tha t we may be going to the Spyder Anniversary by car. It is the main PTO bearing. Engine has to come out and the crankcase split in order to change this bearing. Dealer has the bike, but no bearings. Bearings won't arrive until Thursday. Dealer and I looked a the BEST warranty coverage, it is covered, yipee. So They will need to order alot of parts, gaskets, exhaust bushings, seals, oil change, anti-freeze change, clutch fliud, etc. Book says 8..4 hours for repairs, I don't think so, I think a good 2.5 days. Dealer has been very good to deal with. Final note, thank God for the BEST warrenty that I purchased. Warranty runs out in August.... Spyder is a 2011 RTS, SM5, 48,000 miles.
    Last edited by safecracker; 05-20-2017 at 06:21 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lucky you on that warrantee, but you do have one other option I can think of.....
    trade in your Spyder while it's there on a new one with no miles on it .

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Went for a ride on Thursday night and we where hearing a noise coming from the right side of the bike. At first I thought is was the front wheel bearing. Friday I did some investigating and the front wheel bearing was ok. Removed the side panels and lifted rear wheel off of the ground. Had bike in 1st gear and I found my problem. It is a $18.00 part that could mean tha t we may be going to the Spyder Anniversary by car. It is the main PTO bearing. Engine has to come out and the crankcase split in order to change this bearing. Dealer has the bike, but no bearings. Bearings won't arrive until Thursday. Dealer and I looked a the BEST warranty coverage, it is covered, yipee. So They will need to order alot of parts, gaskets, exhaust bushings, seals, oil change, anti-freeze change, clutch fliud, etc. Book says 8..4 hours for repairs, I don't think so, I think a good 2.5 days. Dealer has been very good to deal with. Final note, thank God for the BEST warrenty that I purchased. Warranty runs out in August.... Spyder is a 2011 RTS, SM5, 48,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

That is exactly why i recommend that everyone get the BRP extended warranty

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice Motorcycle.Dave. I really like.my 2011. Wife.and I actually like.the.looks.of the.older RTS versus the new ones. I would like to put over 100,000 miles on mine. I do know the day will come when a new one will be in order. Happy Spydering. Bruce

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is there any chance of talking them into letting you have a "loaner" for the trip?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I will.ask. Thanks for the suggestion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck! Fingers Crossed.gif

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps letting them know you are planning to go to Homecoming will get it done a little faster, assuming all the parts get there soon enough. You aren't that far from Valcourt, are you? The loaner is an option as already suggested.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Sadly they don't usually go outside to find the parts. I get all mine from cheapcycleparts.com which carry oem parts for many bikes. Mike (BLUEKINGHT911) deals with another outfit. They have a much better stock and could overnight the parts. As for the time....good tech with assistance could cut that way down. I made a killing in my day changing stators on goldwings. Also an 8 hour job that I could get done in 4. but hey...that was then and this is now. Hope some of the suggestion work out and you can still ryde to the event. But being there is a big part....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

They do know we are going to the homecoming. If no Spyder we will take the car. Bruce

Spyder Garage

Spoke with repair shop. Parts are on order. They think it will be done by next Wednesday. Wife and I sure hope so.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck! Fingers Crossed.gif

Spyder Garage

UPDATE, Stopped by the Dealer this morning. Talked with Matt, and he informed me that they think they found the problem with my Spyder. They suggested I take it for a spin and see what I thought. Went for a 2 hour shake down cruise and guess what? No more grinding noise, I was HAPPY. The problem was my belt. Everyone of the cogs was cracked. I did not like the repair cost, but they did not have to pull motor. So wife and I will be ryding Spyder to the Homecoming Event, Yippee............ Belt was $309.00 and labor was $100.00. It was worth it to have Spyder back.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE, Stopped by the Dealer this morning. Talked with Matt, and he informed me that they think they found the problem with my Spyder. They suggested I take it for a spin and see what I thought. Went for a 2 hour shake down cruise and guess what? No more grinding noise, I was HAPPY. The problem was my belt. Everyone of the cogs was cracked. I did not like the repair cost, but they did not have to pull motor. So wife and I will be ryding Spyder to the Homecoming Event, Yippee............ Belt was $309.00 and labor was $100.00. It was worth it to have Spyder back.
    Sorry, but what are the cogs?

Spyder Garage

They are the bottom side of the belt, Some may call them teeth. Part of the belt that merges with the sprockets. I will attach a picture soon. Bruce

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOMECOMING

​Great news - I have another couple lined up for a table on Sat. nite ..... are you interested ?????..... Mike

Spyder Garage

They are the bottom side of the belt, Some may call them teeth. Part of the belt that merges with the sprockets. I will attach a picture soon. Bruce
    Wow. Do you have the syperpops belt guard?

Spyder Garage

No I do not have Spyderpops belt guard. The guard would not have helped in this situation. Bruce.
    Mike I am riding up with another couple from Maine, would there be room for 4? Bruce

Here are the picks of my belt. Brucebelt1.jpgbelt2.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the GOOD side: it was easy to fix...
    Glad to hear that you're "Back on Three"!

(less that 50,000 miles: I wonder what might have caused that to happen?)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TABLE FOR ?????

No I do not have Spyderpops belt guard. The guard would not have helped in this situation. Bruce.
    Mike I am riding up with another couple from Maine, would there be room for 4? Bruce

Here are the picks of my belt. Brucebelt1.jpgbelt2.jpg
    SURE - I would imagine they seat 10 ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike.sounds great. Bruce