Thread: New to Spyders

Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyders

I am considering purchasing a spyder looking at a 2008 GS it has 10,000 miles on it and hard bags, they are asking 9,000. I have a Honda shadow but I have major back issues and looking for something I can travel with but still enjoy the feeling of the open road. Do any of you with back problems have a problem taking week long trips on this model. Is this to old of a bike to consider or should I look at a different model. I test drove the RT but it felt huge compared to my shadow and gave me the feel more of a car then a motorcycle or are they all like that being a trike. Sorry so many questions but just starting looking going to go to some local dealers and see if they will let me try them out. Usually have better luck on craigslist but not finding any on there within 200 miles of me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Comparing the Spyder to a mid-size two-wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by Arkridia View Post
    I am considering purchasing a spyder looking at a 2008 GS it has 10,000 miles on it and hard bags, they are asking 9,000. I have a Honda shadow but I have major back issues and looking for something I can travel with but still enjoy the feeling of the open road. Do any of you with back problems have a problem taking week long trips on this model.

Is this to old of a bike to consider or should I look at a different model. I test drove the RT but it felt huge compared to my shadow and gave me the feel more of a car then a motorcycle or are they all like that being a trike. Sorry so many questions but just starting looking going to go to some local dealers and see if they will let me try them out. Usually have better luck on craigslist but not finding any on there within 200 miles of me.
    You don't say what kind of travel you want to be doing on the Spyder. Comparing it to a Honda Shadow is going to be difficult; they are very different machines. I had back surgery some years back before getting the Spyder and for me at least, riding my Yamaha Vstar1100 was more comfortable than sitting in a car. But, it was also more comfortable than the Shadow I previously owned. So, I guess I'm saying that if you have trouble riding your Shadow because of back issues, then a Spyder may not change that.

The one thing the Spyder will do for you is relieve you of the need to use upper body strength to keep it vertical when stopped or moving slowly, so if that is what is causing your back issues then the Spyder will certainly help I think.

As to which model of Spyder, that depends on your riding style and purpose. It seems to me you should try out different models at a dealer if you can. Or, find a local Spyder group and ask those riders about their experience. Within the Spyder lineup, the sportier models have a more aggressive seating and riding position than the touring models, so you'll need to consider how that affects your back.

Compared to your Shadow, a stock Spyder will have a more compliant (i.e. shock-absorbing) suspension, unless the previous owner modified it, and that is something I'd be concerned about with that 2008 GS.

You may want to consider moving this thread over to a General Spyder discussion thread rather than this one, which is more for technical issues. Good luck with your search-whatever model and year you get I think you will pleased.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-16-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You don't say what kind of travel you want to be doing on the Spyder. Comparing it to a Honda Shadow is going to be difficult; they are very different machines. I had back surgery some years back before getting the Spyder and for me at least, riding my Yamaha Vstar1100 was more comfortable than sitting in a car. But, it was also more comfortable than the Shadow I previously owned. So, I guess I'm saying that if you have trouble riding your Shadow because of back issues, then a Spyder may not change that.

The one thing the Spyder will do for you is relieve you of the need to use upper body strength to keep it vertical when stopped or moving slowly, so if that is what is causing your back issues then the Spyder will certainly help I think.

As to which model of Spyder, that depends on your riding style and purpose. It seems to me you should try out different models at a dealer if you can. Or, find a local Spyder group and ask those riders about their experience. Within the Spyder lineup, the sportier models have a more aggressive seating and riding position than the touring models, so you'll need to consider how that affects your back.

Compared to your Shadow, a stock Spyder will have a more compliant (i.e. shock-absorbing) suspension, unless the previous owner modified it, and that is something I'd be concerned about with that 2008 GS.

You may want to consider moving this thread over to a General Spyder discussion thread rather than this one, which is more for technical issues. Good luck with your search-whatever model and year you get I think you will pleased.
    Great input! I also had back surgery about 4 years ago and I found that riding my Yamaha Venture Royale hurt my hips. I purchases a Spyder and found it hurt my hips after about 45 min of riding also. I then had Russel Day Long saddles make a seat for me. https://day-long.com When I got it I found that right hip was good, but left hip hurt after about 45 min. I called and talked to them, they told me they knew what needed to be done, I had them adjust the seating position and all hip pain is gone.
    I think that riding comfort has more to due with the the seat than the bike or machine it is on.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 06-16-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I think that riding comfort has more to due with the the seat than the bike it machine it is on.
    Good point. I forgot that I put a Mustang saddle on my VStar and that made a huge difference in riding comfort.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had an RS for 3 years. I now have a Spyder F3. I think everyone's situation is different but I did like the RS seating position. You ride with your knees bent slightly forward so you are leaning forward. I found the position comfortable because there was no pressure (weight) on our back. When there are bumps in the road your knees take the impact not your back.

I also think 9k is a little high I would offer 7,800.00
    Last edited by Tazzel; 06-16-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as riding a GS with "major back issues": you should be aware that the seating position on that model might be stretching you too far forward, for long-distance comfort.
    I think that the price on that bike might be a bit high.. unless it is in truly spectacular condition!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob beat me to it. The 08 GS is more like a crotch rocket riding position. Unless you raise the handlebars and put on a different seat, you are probably not going to like it for long distance. The price is also about $2K high. I have been there and done that. The farkles (hard bags) are worth zero add on at this point (nine years old).

I would recommend shopping around for an RT.

Let us know what you do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red