Spyder Garage

Cool 1 year maintenance report

I purchased my used 2012 Spyder RT A&C in May 2016 with 30k miles. In the last 12 months I have replaced the battery (original finally died), replaced the antenna (broken in a wind storm). I added two rear speakers to improve the sound, and due to getting hit by a car I have replaced the rear fender. None of these were really complicated. I just reached 34k miles and I am preparing to do my first oil change. Also according to the previous maintenance record I am going to replace the brake pads. I am lucky that I have a mechanical background, yet nothing has seemed to complicated (except the battery location). In my opinion the Spyder is not very complicated to work on.

2012 RT A&C, 2 Rear Speakers, Chrome Upgrades, Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Corbin Custom Leather Seat,
    Kurykan Iso Handle Bars, Driver floorboards and foot pegs.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Nope, not to difficult. that is until it's time to remove the airfilter box to access the spark plugs. haven't changed out the plugs yet but will soon. and when I do the airbox and resonator are going into file 13 and JT's airfilter will be installed. actually the worse thing about doing basic maintenance on these rascals is removing the Tupperware.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Hear.....

Looks like you have enjoyed your ryde, outside of the accident glad it was only a fender....looks like a leisurely mornings work and then out to seat the brakes and enjoy a ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

it is my hope to most of the maintenance myself.

2012 RT A&C, 2 Rear Speakers, Chrome Upgrades, Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Corbin Custom Leather Seat,

Spyder Garage

luv it

Spyder Garage

and The 2012 A & C is a pretty good machine. We have the same in 2011 flavor. Oil changes, filters, tires and check overs are all we have encountered so far. 25K on the clock.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT L that has needed only wear items and oil changes. These are all easy to do,only time consuming because of all the body panels that need to be removed. This can be a little complicated and there is a definite order to that removal.
    Great machine. I bought mine with 8500 mi on it and it now has 28000. Should put another 8-10000 on it this year.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Check the pads before actually buying replacements, if you haven't done so already. (You post kinda read like you were replacing on a schedule and not out of need.) If you are buying brake pads I recommend the EBC pads vs. OEM. The EBC are much better quality than OEM and usually cheaper to boot.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default one year maintenance report

Congratulations on your purchase; that is a beauty for sure. Have you purchased a shop manual??? If not the green manuals can be purchased online and work fairly well. mostly wear and tear stuff that goes out on these machines and the wrenching is mostly straight forward. The suggestion below about the brakes is good; BajaRon is a great supplier of most things spyder; and if he doesn't have it Spyder pops most likely will!! Enjoy your ride, doing your own wrenching is the best way to learn about the intricacies of your ride IMHO. Just rolled over 40K on mine last month.

If you are buying brake pads I recommend the EBC pads vs. OEM. The EBC are much better quality than OEM and usually cheaper to boot.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Just completed the oil change. It was not hard, removing the bottom plate made replacing the oil filter easy. All panels went back on. Test drove it and it sounds better. No oil leaks. Purchased the oil kit at the local Can Am dealer for $75.00, their fee was $220.00 for the oil change. Also put some Armorall on the rear hand heated grips, this really restored their appearance.
    Last edited by tjmonty32; 06-01-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Brake pad replacement

Just completed front brake pad replacement on 2012 RT. Purchased new EBC pads $99.00 (thanks KX5062). The process was very simple, however I do have one caution. The replacement EBC pads do not come with the small spring clips, these must be removed from the existing pads and transferred to the new replacement pads. While removing one of these paper clip sized spring clips, it bounced from my needle nose pliers out the garage, hit the driveway and eventually bounced in to the grass to be lost forever. Needless to say my son and searched the driveway and grass for this tiny clip for nearly an hour. Eventually I ended up at the local Can Am dealer, ASK Powersports. Their repair shop could not locate an extra clip, at this point I was near desperation. I was directed to the parts counter where I was told I would have to purchase a new set of Can Am brake pads (clips included) at a cost of $120.00. However, after hearing my story, and realizing I only needed one
    paper sized clip, the sales person removed the clip from their stock pads, gave it to me and stated " I'm not going to charge you $120.00 for a paperclip, take it and finish your brakes." A huge smile came over my face. I thanked the salesperson and told him I would remember his graciousness. I took the clip, finished the pad replacement and now the brakes are in new condition as the previous pads were more than half way worn. So a shout out to ASK Powersports.

Last edited by tjmonty32; 06-19-2017 at 01:19 PM.