Thread: Canada?

Spyder Garage

Default Canada?

What documentation will we need to get myself, my wife, and our Spyders in and out of Canada when we go there this summer? I know we need passports and Insurance cards for Canada, anything else?

My Spyder History
    2013 ST Limited - 16,000 miles
    2015 F3s - 48,500 miles
    2016 F3t - TBD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That should do it!

Unless...

Don't forget to pack any prescription drugs in their original containers, and bring along copies of the actual scripts.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Check with your current insurer but I think you present card will be enough. Other then a passport I think all you will need is cash credit card and an international plan on your cell phone,or buy a throwaway when you get there.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should also let your credit card Company know that you'll be traveling, and they may see purchases from different places.

Spyder Garage

If you carry a gun, leave it at home.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the input everyone! I don't want to get there in August and get turned back

My Spyder History
    2013 ST Limited - 16,000 miles
    2015 F3s - 48,500 miles
    2016 F3t - TBD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MONEY EXCHANGE

Quote Originally Posted by bboley View Post
    What documentation will we need to get myself, my wife, and our Spyders in and out of Canada when we go there this summer? I know we need passports and Insurance cards for Canada, anything else?
    If you exchange US dollars to Canadian ..... Do it at a Bank in Canada the rate is much better .... I got $ 1.31 in Canada vs $1.24 ( what my local bank quoted me ) in US ..... which doesn't sound like much until you exchange $500.00 plus ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

What Bob stated below is very important. I have a capitol one card and their fraud department is very picky. They routinely send an email to verify a purchase. My phone did not have service in Canada so would be SOL after they shut the card off. Guess you could always call the 800 number from a pay phone, but who needs the hassle. Called in advance and had no issues in Canada, even when I charged a $5,000 deposit to the Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You should also let your credit card Company know that you'll be traveling, and they may see purchases from different places.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Smile Canada, Easy Peasy

Certain "Premium Credit Cards are not accepted by merchants in some provinces. Those extra points that they pay you for your purchases are paid by the merchant.
    Have your vehicle registration slips and insurance papers with you. Leave the mace, large knives, any loose ammunition and firearms at home. You won't need them in Canada, it is a civilized country, great scenery, and friendly people!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also carried registrations for all my vehicles - car & Spyder and cert of origin for my Aluma trailer (Kansas doesn't title/register that type of trailer). One border agent asked about why it didn't have a tag and wanted to see the CO.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

-Passport
    - Registration
    -Proof of insurance. Some will argue your regular insurance card is fine and most of the time it is. I printed out my insurance declaration page and coverage amounts as I found different provinces have different coverage requirements. I had enough for Quebec Province but not enough for some of the others. Does it matter? Not sure, but your insurance company with enough notice can send you a separate document stating coverage in Canada.

Cash is of minimal use. Most places will not do exchange rate on cash purchases. Credit cards automatically get the day's exchange rate on purchases.

If you need Canadian cash, and stay at a decent hotel, they can exchange your american money for Canadian money at the current exchange rate- sometimes for free and sometimes for a small fee. Hotels are the best place to do this. Some will let you bill it to your room.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bboley View Post

Wellcome to Canada , You will fill like home

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another thing people forget is cell phone coverage. Canada is considered international I think. Check your rates & coverage. You don't want to get home to a huge phone bill.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If they let me in they'll let anyone in.....

Use a Visa/MC and you'll be fine. Other cards are not typically accepted.

Passport is fine to get in and out. Insurance cards only come in to play if you have an incident.... but good to make sure you're up to date.

Have fun.. beautiful country up there... and the people were very nice!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    If they let me in they'll let anyone in.....

Ned.jpg

Spyder Garage

The people should have passports. The Spyders need ownership/registration documents. May not be needed at the border. The plate will have been checked before you get to the booth. But will certainly be needed if you have interaction with the police while in Canada. Proof of insurance likely not needed at the border. But again needed by the police.

Health insurance. Talk to health insurance provider. They may cover you or require you to buy extra coverage. If something bad happens and you need medical treatment. A policy number and contact phone for your insurance carrier will bypass the need for a cash deposit. Please note you will be treated no matter what if the injuries are life threatening.

You can use a Mastercard or Visa credit card almost everywhere. If your card is activated for chip and pin. It will work to pay at the pump in gas stations. If not you will have to go in to pay.

If you are using cash to pay. It's best to exchange to Canadian currency in a bank or at the border. All Canadian banks charge 2.5% exchange fee. Currency exchange at the border will charge 2.4%, slightly beating the bank rate. Many businesses in Canada, especially in tourist areas would take US currency. That has now changed and many businesses are dropping that service. There has been so much counterfeit US currency being passed that they are no longer willing to take the risk. Canadian currency is plastic and in many ways better then the paper it replaced. It does stick together a little easier so be careful of that. We no longer use those pesky pennies for cash transactions. Depending on the total amount of the purchase. It will be rounded up or down the 2 cents.

Enjoy your visit to Canada.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hated Canada. We went to Nova Scotia a few years ago along the Cabot Trial. The people were God awful friendly. They were too friendly and we couldn't wait to flee back to "the states". A terrible experience to say the least. This year we are going to New Orleans, the homicide rate is at record highs so it should be fun. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You can use a Mastercard or Visa credit card almost everywhere. If your card is activated for chip and pin. It will work to pay at the pump in gas stations. If not you will have to go in to pay.
    My Visa has a chip but is not activated for chip and pin. Had no issues at any Canadian gas station pump. Did not have to go inside. In fact, in most stations, the pump switched to English once it read my card.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I hated Canada. We went to Nova Scotia a few years ago along the Cabot Trial. The people were God awful friendly. They were too friendly and we couldn't wait to flee back to "the states". A terrible experience to say the least. This year we are going to New Orleans, the homicide rate is at record highs so it should be fun. My thoughts.
    It sounds as if you'd love vacationing in Brooklyn; in August.
    I'll have my Travel Agent send you the names of some good Bail-Bond Companies!

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above

looks like they covered it all...if you want to go wild...AAA for $10.00 and two pictures will issue you a International drivers license good of a year and you can drive all over the world...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black