Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Homecoming

Is there a web site or local person to get questions answered about the June Homecoming? I have the Android app and the BRP event FAQs, but I have questions beyond what they offer.
    Such as: Which airport is best when flying in from the US? What hotel city would be best, considering the various locations of Homecoming events and traffic patterns? We're making this
    an extended vacation beyond the Homecoming, so what other things are recommended while there, anything to avoid, safest way to handle financial transactions, will our cell phones work,
    and other advice from a couple who've never been outside the US. We have our passports and BRP event registrations already. Thank you.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Default Homecoming 2017

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Is there a web site or local person to get questions answered about the June Homecoming? I have the Android app and the BRP event FAQs, but I have questions beyond what they offer. Such as: Which airport is best when flying in from the US? What hotel city would be best, considering the various locations of Homecoming events and traffic patterns? We're making this an extended vacation beyond the Homecoming, so what other things are recommended while there, anything to avoid, safest way to handle financial transactions, will our cell phones work, and other advice from a couple who've never been outside the US. We have our passports and BRP event registrations already. Thank you.

• Montreal Pierre Trudeau Airport
      • Do NOT forget to have valid PASSPORTS!

• Lodging: Sherbrooke is a good option. See what is available with booking.com http://www.booking.com/
    • Traffic is normal large city freeways etc. in the Montreal area. Outside of the city the roads are "normal" highways. Use googlemaps for directions, etc.
    • Financial transactions = credit cards. Don't use American Express traveler's checks; a thing of the past. Get Canadian cash at a BANK in CANADA; not at the airport exchange kiosks. Before you leave, contact your credit card(s) companies and advise of your departure/arrival dates so that they won't put a "hold" on your card(s) while out of the country thinking that someone is using the card(s) in Canada.
    • Cell phones will be a piece of cake, but check with your provider as to what you need to do with them so that you don't get dinged with horrid roaming charges.
    • While in the Sherbrooke area, see the sights. http://www.destinationsherbrooke.com/en/visitors
    • While in the Montreal area, ensure that you spend at least one day in Old Montreal. Very historic and many, many things to see and do. http://www.vieux.montreal.qc.ca/eng/accueila.htm

Depending on your length of stay, you may also want to visit Quebec City and/or Ottawa. 2017 is the 150th Birthday of Canada and there will be tons of things going on/to see in Ottawa. Quebec City is gorgeous to visit, especially their old city part.

2014 ST Limited

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Travel to Canada

First, You Must:
    1. Notify your cell phone carrier of what dates you will be in Canada Andy they will modify your plan to assist. If you do not the minutes and data will absolutely shock you.
    2. Notify your banks of your travel plans, this will reduce embarrassment while there.

as far as currency, I always just used the credit card for purchases. You may need a little cash for small stuff and tips, so when you get there use the credit card a thing an ATM, this will allow your bank to make the exchange rate for you and reduce the high fees at currency exchange kiosks.

when you are at the border check it helps to have the passport, dates of stay, hotel name and city all handy. They are most concerned that you have funds to stay without a burden on thier system and when you will leave as well as your intention s are not to take Canadian employment or do work that should be done by Canadians. What a novel concept.

The biggest hassle is getting back into the USA, American side is rude and grumpy.

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 01-16-2017 at 04:48 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

What Spyder homecoming//?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2loves View Post
    What Spyder homecoming//?

Go go to the Spyde / BRP home page, http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/homecoming.html , then click on Owners and homecoming, it is in June in Quebec.
    an event for Spyder owners to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Spyder.

Joe
    LED fender lighting

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the great advise!
    We're flying in, not crossing the border by vehicle. And we already have our passports.
    As for cash, to clarify, do we pay in US or Canadian currency?
    Where would we call to see if there are any Spyder rentals left (I know, I'm dreaming!)
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Concerning rental, there is a BRP dealership in Valcourt, walking distance from the factory.

It is Performance NC, and according to their website, they do rentals.

They are part of a network of dealerships with a site in Sherbrooke which is the closest big city.

Unfortunately, the website seems to be French only.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=GaryTheBadger;1217732]Thank you for the great advise!
    We're flying in, not crossing the border by vehicle. And we already have our passports.
    ]

Regardless of whether you are flying or driving/ryding, they will still follow the same rules and guidelines coming into Canada or going back home to the US and the advice given by Buckeye Bleau is good.

It is possible that US cash will be fine to use but I would strongly suggest you carry some Canadian cash with you. It just simplifies things for you. Your currency is presently much stronger than ours and if you change some at your bank before leaving, you will know exactly what the exchange rate will be. Doing it on the fly by trying to use your own currency and do the exchange at the point of use leaves you at the mercy of the vendor to exchange it properly and fairly. If you have some left over, you can exchange it back once home. We always carry some currency of the country we are visiting just to simplify things.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the great advise!
    Where would we call to see if there are any Spyder rentals left (I know, I'm dreaming!)
    As someone stated earlier use the Canadian $. As I said earlier, when you get there, find an ATM outside of the airport complex, they are everywhere up there, and get some cash with your debit or credit card, your bank will do the exchange for you at current rates,BUT, mostly just use your credit card to pay, the bank will convert for you.

One very nice thing up there, when you are at a restaurant and present your credit card, they bring the machine to your table, you never lose sight of your card.

Joe

PS, remember to order Pooteen when you are there, it is awesome, also very unique to Quebec, the stop signs like most of the world are red octagons, but in Quebec they read "Arret". Even in Francethey read "Stop".
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 01-16-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    LED fender lighting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

US cash is readily accepted. I would have a little Canadian (ATM is the easiest way to obtain this) on me but honestly.......I'd just use a credit or debit card for everything. It will make your life much easier. The exchange rate right now is greatly in your favor

Cell phones is a big one. For me its the data usage not the talking that gets me in trouble. Definitely get on some sort of special plan from your carrier but be aware its still expensive if you are planning to use your phone a lot for things that consume data like GPS. This is one of my biggest grips when traveling to Canada. There really is no good "phone" solution from the USA to Canada or Mexico for that matter. Not on ATT anyway.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I agree completely that using your credit is the easiest thing and is what we do when in the US. We just have some US cash for some small things.

Similarly for us going to the US, cell phones can be a big pita because of roaming charges etc. If you by chance have an unlocked cell phone you can buy an inexpensive sim card for it once here. Ours is unlocked and mens we can do that going to the US. Then you at least bypass the roaming charges. If it has wifi you could connect for some things using that. Not really sure about data charges since we don't use a phone for things needing data.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Hi Arkansas!

Is there a web site or local person to get questions answered about the June Homecoming? I have the Android app and the BRP event FAQs, but I have questions beyond what they offer.
    Such as: Which airport is best when flying in from the US? What hotel city would be best, considering the various locations of Homecoming events and traffic patterns? We're making this
    an extended vacation beyond the Homecoming, so what other things are recommended while there, anything to avoid, safest way to handle financial transactions, will our cell phones work,
    and other advice from a couple who've never been outside the US. We have our passports and BRP event registrations already. Thank you.
    Not sure if you have booked your hotel or not but if you can stay in Drummondville that may be better as that is where they are holding the dinner and show on Saturday night and it is a bit of a drive from Sherbrook especially if you want to have a few drinks. I was able to change my reservations from Sherbrook to Drummondville. You may find a lot of places take US cash but you may not get the best exchange rate. You can use ATM's to get Canadian cash and as others have stated use your credit cards as well but it is good to have some cash. Eastern canada has lots to see and as someone else has stated you must try poutine (he spelled it wrong) it is fries with gravy and cheese curds. Not the healthiest but very good! I am sure you will meet some great people with lots of suggestions of things to do and see. Hope you have a great time!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Concerning credit cards . . . Also ask about international transaction fees.

I notified all my credit card companies about my travel plans this week. Discover and Citi had none. Others were 1%-2%. Exchange rate applied would be whatever it is at the time the transaction is processed.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)