Spyder Garage

Default pulling to the left only when braking?

When I'm just driving along, my spyder does not pull to the left, but when braking, I notice a definite pull to the left, and if I (or the nanny) brakes hard, it REALLY goes left.

This seems new to me, and I recently added wheel balancers on the front (not sure if that makes any difference).

Any ideas on what might be causing this, and/or solution? Figured I'd ask before heading to the dealership.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds to me like there is interference between the brake and the balancer. Either the brake on the right is not applying, or the one on the left is binding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at the condition of your front brakes...
    Pull the calipers, and check the pads for thickness, and the caliper pistons for how they move...
    Good luck; let us know what you find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

if this started with the installation of the balancers it would be wise to backtrack and see what is different between the two wheels. It would have to be at the wheel so caliper, pads, interfearance in the proper function..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Stop braking
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

loosen and then retighten both front wheels to approx. 80 lbs.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

We did the first step which was to remove the wheel balancers. In that process, we've re-tighted the front wheel lug nuts to 80 ft lbs of torque. When I get off work, I'll go for a ride and see if that made any difference. The left brake pad is more worn than the right, so possible that something's binding or ???. I think there will need to be some further investigation beyond today's test drive.

Rogue Hawk: I didn't actually brake! The nanny gave me a very hard brake (worst reaction from her I've ever felt on the F3, though very similar to what I have experienced in the past with the RT). Anyway... since I ride with a very light grip, the hard-left pull sent me right into the oncoming traffic lane. Luckily for me there was no oncoming traffic. I hesitated to mention this because there will be those who jump all over it negatively. I don't blame the spyder for the VSS action --- I was going very fast down my favorite canyon. Apparently I should not go that fast down that section of canyon. So noted and I won't repeat

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Let us know what you find out.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and good luck!

Spyder Garage

Default no pulling now

I couldn't feel any pulling this ride. Yesterday, even after my exciting incident with the nanny up the canyon, I could still feel a pull to the left once I got down to Lyons and deal with traffic (braking...).

Today without the wheel balancers, I couldn't feel any pulling while braking. Not sure if maybe something needs to be adjusted when they're installed? I think I'll leave them off for a bit and see what happens.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    We did the first step which was to remove the wheel balancers. In that process, we've re-tighted the front wheel lug nuts to 80 ft lbs of torque. When I get off work, I'll go for a ride and see if that made any difference. The left brake pad is more worn than the right, so possible that something's binding or ???. I think there will need to be some further investigation beyond today's test drive.

Rogue Hawk: I didn't actually brake! The nanny gave me a very hard brake (worst reaction from her I've ever felt on the F3, though very similar to what I have experienced in the past with the RT). Anyway... since I ride with a very light grip, the hard-left pull sent me right into the oncoming traffic lane. Luckily for me there was no oncoming traffic. I hesitated to mention this because there will be those who jump all over it negatively. I don't blame the spyder for the VSS action --- I was going very fast down my favorite canyon. Apparently I should not go that fast down that section of canyon. So noted and I won't repeat

You said that you have a brake pad that is visibly more worn on one side versus the other. You have a mechanical problem with you braking system. Both sides should be worn evenly, so this combined with the pulling when braking, you do have a problem and I doubt it's electrical. There could be several causes, but the problem does need to be addressed and new pads installed. A sticking caliper would be high on my list, but not the only possible problem.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm kind of thinking the same thing: it's a good place to start searching!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    You said that you have a brake pad that is visibly more worn on one side versus the other. You have a mechanical problem with you braking system. Both sides should be worn evenly, so this combined with the pulling when braking, you do have a problem and I doubt it's electrical. There could be several causes, but the problem does need to be addressed and new pads installed. A sticking caliper would be high on my list, but not the only possible problem.
    +1
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default appt with service is set up

I spoke to the service dept at my dealership and they agree that something is wrong, so I've got an appt set up to take it in. Thanks for your advice. Have I mentioned lately that I love this website?

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default no definite answer

Since my last update, we took the front tires off and really looked at the brake pads (my husband's comment about the left pad being more worn than the right was using a flashlight with the tire on at night). We determined that both brake pads looked about the same.

Took it to the dealership this weekend and they checked everything over. Found no brake issues, but the tires were out of balance and they re-balanced them on their new balancer. They had replaced their old balancer after my tire install.

The only thing we can come up with is that the nanny didn't like the centramatic wheel balancers on the front wheels going through curves at a high rate of speed. Not sure. They also said that they typically leave ALL the weights off the wheels when using balancers (they put them on the gold wings). So maybe having the balancers and weights and speed and curves all contributed?

My newly balanced wheels feel great, and for now the balancers are not re-installed. I haven't felt any pulling to the left (or right for that matter) since we removed the balancers. With the spring snow that we just got, I also haven't had a chance to really get out and fly in the mountains again.

2015 F3 , Pearl White