Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bizarre Issue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    So, this problem just surfaced unexpectedly, with no nexus between the deer collision and the beginning of this curious issue (i.e. enough time elapsed between the two events you're certain they're not connected)?

I've gone through the service manual. In the troubleshooting for the shifting system, it does not mention the symptoms you're experiencing. I didn't see any trouble codes for upshifting without shift paddle input, so reading the trouble codes isn't likely to lead to an answer I think.

Is there any chance that when you hit the deer, your left hand pushed hard against the switches and caused some damage internally? Because it sure does sound like the problem is originating in the switches; it wouldn't take much for there to be a short to be created between the two switches if enough pressure was put on the switch housing I think.

Still thinking about it.
    I don't know. I would assume that BRP wants the part back so they could do forensic analysis to understand what is going on. I wish I could learn the result if they did.

Spyder Garage

Default left control cluster

If this problem is possible shouldn't there be a recall.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waynerho View Post
    I don't know. I would assume that BRP wants the part back so they could do forensic analysis to understand what is going on. I wish I could learn the result if they did.
    Okay, I've got to ask; are you pulling my leg here? I mean, hitting a deer and the only damage to the bike is throwing the wheels out of alignment? Those must be pygmy deer?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Okay, I've got to ask; are you pulling my leg here? I mean, hitting a deer and the only damage to the bike is throwing the wheels out of alignment? Those must be pygmy deer?
    Not kidding. I hit a deer. As far as I know, there are no pygmy deer in Ohio, other than in the zoo. Two weeks before it happened, I had installed the Rivco chrome bumper for the RT. It must've hit the deer and knocked it down. I went over the deer's hind quarters with the left front and rear wheel. They were pretty thick hind quarters!
    The suspension bottomed out; sounded like a gun went off. I came off of the seat, but was able to hang on.
    The deer never touched the body of the bike. Extremely lucky!

As I stated before, I took the bike 5 months later to Johnnie K's Powersports. They are a Platinum BRP Dealer. The service manager was skeptical also, and said that they'll probably see damage of the trunk. Nothing! I've put about 1500 miles on it since the incident happened. No problems at all.

An additional note -- they replaced the left control cluster and the upshift of the transmission with the turn signal has disappeared. It's kind of a bummer though. I took the bike in and reported this issue before my warranty ran out. The repair was performed after the warranty ran out. BRP charged me a $50 dollar deductible, and covered the repair with my BEST warranty. Johnnie K's talked to them about it, but they wouldn't budge.