Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre Issue

Spyder Garage

Default Bizarre Issue

I have a 2015 RT Limited SE6.
    Riding the other day, I accidently upshifted a couple of times. I figured I had bumped the shifter, and concentrated on moving my hand out a little bit.
    On my way home, I did it a couple of times, and actually went into limp mode. I pulled over shut it down, waited and started back up, fine.
    Got down the road a little bit changed lanes and did it again.

That's the time I figured out what I was doing wrong -- NOTHING! Cancelling the turn signal upshifts the transmission!
    That's why I got into limp mode. I was in traffic changing lanes multiple times, all the while upshifting, realizing I didn't want to be in that gear and downshifting. Repeat.

What gives?

Spyder Garage

I do not see how that could happen. The turn signal is not connected to the transmission shifting mechanism. They are in close proximity. Easy to hit the wrong button.

I have to sit back and see what others will say.

RE Shifting: you should be riding your machine in the 3000 - 3500 rpm zone. You do not go through all the gears to get to sixth unless your riding at highway speeds. 3500 in sixth will be very close to 65mph. The gears are there but should always be in the "happy" zone.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-18-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I do not see how that could happen. The turn signal is not connected to the transmission shifting mechanism. They are in close proximity. Easy to hit the wrong button.

I have to sit back and see what others will say.
    I agree. But after I figured it out, I rode for miles upshifting with the turn signal. Just accelerate, and hit the cancel. Works great!

Spyder Garage

Time to take it to the dealer for some serious looking at, as stated before the turn signal has nothing to do with the transmission.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Well that's an odd one but certainly possible. Just data over the Canbus. Crossed wires, wet or bad circuit board. Likely time for a new set of left handlebar controls. I hope you have warranty left.
    Last edited by billybovine; 05-18-2017 at 01:14 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Well that's an odd one but certainly possible. Just data over the Canbus. Crossed wires, wet or bad circuit board. Likely time for a new set of left handlebar controls. I hope you have warranty left.
    I agree. I have warranty left.

Damn! Only 15,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a short or some form of cross circuit there. I'd get it looked at before it (Possibly) damages something else down the line.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say...

With the amount of controls, including the paddle shifter, in the left command it would not surprise me that there could be an issue like this... have you had any lighting work done with the turn signals ? may have tapped the shift wires and mixed them up..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

stupid question, do you ride with gloves on, and are they large on your hand. if you do, try riding w/o a glove and see if it doesn't do it. it just might be that part of your glove is hitting the shifter
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

also
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Well, it's in the shop.

And on the way there, I tested and found that the issue is gone. I couldn't make it shift from the turn signal anymore.
    They are going to see if they can pull any codes on this. Plus, I'm having the oil changed (which I'll be doing in the future! Damn!!!) and the alignment checked after having hit the deer earlier this year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    stupid question, do you ride with gloves on, and are they large on your hand. if you do, try riding w/o a glove and see if it doesn't do it. it just might be that part of your glove is hitting the shifter
    That's exactly what I thought was going on at first. But I've ridden it long enough that I don't do that very often.
    When I finally figured out what was happening, I rode a few miles upshifting with the turn signal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'd be surprised how many of those left-handed functions end up with the horn being blown also!

In my case: that's an error with the computer...
    an I.D.10-T error!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You'd be surprised how many of those left-handed functions end up with the horn being blown also!

an I.D.10-T error!
    I have had a similar issue. However, mine tends to be associated more often with trying to start the bike using the horn button.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

an I.D.10-T error!
    The other day, I nearly hit a low flying B1-RD!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waynerho View Post
    The other day, I nearly hit a low flying B1-RD!
    Is that a tactical error?

Spyder Garage

Default So, the latest update.

JohnnyK's Powersports couldn't reproduce the issue. I picked up the bike after the additional maintenance, including fixing the 1/4" misalignment in both front wheels after having hit the deer. On the way home, I was able to reproduce the problem again. Not frequently, but it did happen.

So I called JohnnyK's and told them what was going on. I asked if there was any way I could call BRP directly. They gave me the number to customer service.

I called and explained what was happening, and told them JohnnyK's couldn't reproduce it. They told me that JohnnyK's was a Platinum Dealer, and they definitely know what they are doing. "If it happens again, have it towed" is what I was to do. Sure!

Two hours later, I get a call from JohnnyK's. I am to bring the bike in. BRP called them and said they had never heard of this before, but after reviewing the engineering drawings, they could see where it would be possible. They want the entire left control cluster replaced under warranty (which had just expired 3 days earlier)!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT Limited SE6.
    Riding the other day, I accidently upshifted a couple of times. I figured I had bumped the shifter, and concentrated on moving my hand out a little bit.
    On my way home, I did it a couple of times, and actually went into limp mode. I pulled over shut it down, waited and started back up, fine.
    Got down the road a little bit changed lanes and did it again.

That's the time I figured out what I was doing wrong -- NOTHING! Cancelling the turn signal upshifts the transmission!
    That's why I got into limp mode. I was in traffic changing lanes multiple times, all the while upshifting, realizing I didn't want to be in that gear and downshifting. Repeat.

What gives?
    Couple of questions; a) how long have you been riding your Spyder? b) why do you say you 'accidentally' upshifted a couple of times? I don't understand that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

JohnnyK's Powersports couldn't reproduce the issue. I picked up the bike after the additional maintenance, including fixing the 1/4" misalignment in both front wheels after having hit the deer. On the way home, I was able to reproduce the problem again. Not frequently, but it did happen.

So I called JohnnyK's and told them what was going on. I asked if there was any way I could call BRP directly. They gave me the number to customer service.

I called and explained what was happening, and told them JohnnyK's couldn't reproduce it. They told me that JohnnyK's was a Platinum Dealer, and they definitely know what they are doing. "If it happens again, have it towed" is what I was to do. Sure!

Two hours later, I get a call from JohnnyK's. I am to bring the bike in. BRP called them and said they had never heard of this before, but after reviewing the engineering drawings, they could see where it would be possible. They want the entire left control cluster replaced under warranty (which had just expired 3 days earlier)!
    I am glad that BRP has seen the light and is replacing the left handle control center.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Couple of questions; a) how long have you been riding your Spyder? b) why do you say you 'accidentally' upshifted a couple of times? I don't understand that.
    You may have missed it in the previous posts. When pressing turn signal cancel it would upshift.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Couple of questions; a) how long have you been riding your Spyder? b) why do you say you 'accidentally' up-shifted a couple of times? I don't understand that.
    I've been riding the Spyder since I bought it new off the dealer's floor -- ~16,000 miles. Before that 4 Yamahas and 2 GoldWings to the tune of ~250,000 miles.

I thought it was me shifting, until it finally clicked it was me cancelling the turn signals. After that, I rode a couple of miles up-shifting with the turn signal cancel. Just to clear any thoughts of up-shifting delusions!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been riding the Spyder since I bought it new off the dealer's floor -- ~16,000 miles. Before that 4 Yamahas and 2 GoldWings to the tune of ~250,000 miles.

I thought it was me shifting, until it finally clicked it was me cancelling the turn signals. After that, I rode a couple of miles up-shifting with the turn signal cancel. Just to clear any thoughts of up-shifting delusions!
    Okay, so you're not new to the Spyder and you know the difference between the shift paddle and the turn signal switch. When did you first notice this phenomena and had you done any work or mods immediately prior?

I just noticed your mention of hitting a deer. What damage was done to the Spyder? What work was done? Who did the work? Did you notice the problem right after getting back on the road after repairs from the deer collision?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-20-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Okay, so you're not new to the Spyder and you know the difference between the shift paddle and the turn signal switch. When did you first notice this phenomena and had you done any work or mods immediately prior?

I just noticed your mention of hitting a deer. What damage was done to the Spyder? What work was done? Who did the work? Did you notice the problem right after getting back on the road after repairs from the deer collision?
    There were no repairs required after hitting the deer. I had just installed the Rivco bumper on the bike. The bumper hit the deer, the deer went down, and I went over it. JohnnyK's looked for damage, and decided it was limited to 1/4" alignment issue with the front end.
    No mods, hundreds of miles between any changes. I am a tier-three Support Analyst and the Chief Consultant for a Software Company in Columbus, Ohio. Figuring things out is my business. Believe me, I'm as confused/curious as you are. The only pattern I can vaguely see, is that it seems to worsen with heat. So far, that's all I've determined.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-15-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There were no repairs required after hitting the deer. I had just installed the Rivco bumper on the bike. The bumper hit the deer, the deer went down, and I went over it. JohnnyK's looked for damage, and decided it was limited to 1/4" alignment issue with the front end.
    No mods, hundreds of miles between any changes. I am a tier-three Support Analyst and the Chief Consultant for a Software Company in Columbus, Ohio. Figuring things out is my business. Believe me, I'm as confused\curious as you are. The only pattern I can vaguely see, is that it seems to worsen with heat. So far, that's all I've determined.
    So, this problem just surfaced unexpectedly, with no nexus between the deer collision and the beginning of this curious issue (i.e. enough time elapsed between the two events you're certain they're not connected)?

I've gone through the service manual. In the troubleshooting for the shifting system, it does not mention the symptoms you're experiencing. I didn't see any trouble codes for upshifting without shift paddle input, so reading the trouble codes isn't likely to lead to an answer I think.

Is there any chance that when you hit the deer, your left hand pushed hard against the switches and caused some damage internally? Because it sure does sound like the problem is originating in the switches; it wouldn't take much for there to be a short to be created between the two switches if enough pressure was put on the switch housing I think.

Still thinking about it.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-20-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum