Thread: Air Bag Armour

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Air Bag Armour

rock guard.jpg
    Working on a bad Air Ryde System. This is why every Spyder with Air Ryde should have a Air Ryde Rock Armour. The only protection for your Air Bag.
    http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster/products
    (bottom right)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

yepper, installed mine a week or 2 ago. $30 very well spent.

Spyder Garage

Wouldn't be without it.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Prepping for some dirt/gravel road rides

Just ordered my Air Ryde Rock Armour, planning some long distances over unpaved roads, between this and the missing belt guard, we'll be as protected as possible.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good idea.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Will Get One

When spring hist here have to take our 2013 RT Limited to the dealer. Air bag wont keep air in it. Hoping it is just a fitting issue. While they have it up on their rack might as well have them put this on. Has anyone or does anyone know approx. how much a new bag will cost etc. Hoping it is just the bag and not the compressor. Thanks guys

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    When spring hist here have to take our 2013 RT Limited to the dealer. Air bag wont keep air in it. Hoping it is just a fitting issue. While they have it up on their rack might as well have them put this on. Has anyone or does anyone know approx. how much a new bag will cost etc. Hoping it is just the bag and not the compressor. Thanks guys

Dave
    The reason we developed the Rock Armour was due to out air bag getting a hole in the bottom of it in 2015. We went through the dealer who said it was a bad compressor and they replaced it. 3 weeks later the new compressor went out. By then the dealers in our area were so booked up it was going to to be 3-5 weeks to get it repaired. Instead of waiting, I tore it down myself (with a lot of help from here) and found the hole in the bottom of the air bag by removing it and bench testing it. I contacted the dealer that had missed the leak and wanted them to swap out the bad airbag and or course they said that if they didn't do the work, start to finish they couldn't help me.
    I ended up putting 4oz of green slime into the bottom of the airbag while it was off the byke. I then purchased a aftermarket compressor (Walmart $75) a Viair 98C and put it all back together.
    For 3 seasons (starting on the fourth) it has worked perfectly with no problems at all. The other day we went for a ryde and the byke has sat for about 3 weeks. When I started it up and pulled it out, the compressor kicked on for about 2 seconds to freshen the air and that was all. I have no idea how long it will last, but we'll keep running it that way.
    Here is a link to some of the repair videos back in 2015.
    And, btw, I was at the dealer down South the other day and telling the parts guy what I had done and the service mgr overheard us and told me in no uncertain terms that putting the green slime in the air bag voided the warranty on the bag. I just shook my head........
    https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/how-to-videos
    Just scroll down to the video you want.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    The reason we developed the Rock Armour was due to out air bag getting a hole in the bottom of it in 2015. We went through the dealer who said it was a bad compressor and they replaced it. 3 weeks later the new compressor went out. By then the dealers in our area were so booked up it was going to to be 3-5 weeks to get it repaired. Instead of waiting, I tore it down myself (with a lot of help from here) and found the hole in the bottom of the air bag by removing it and bench testing it. I contacted the dealer that had missed the leak and wanted them to swap out the bad airbag and or course they said that if they didn't do the work, start to finish they couldn't help me.
    I ended up putting 4oz of green slime into the bottom of the airbag while it was off the byke. I then purchased a aftermarket compressor (Walmart $75) a Viair 98C and put it all back together.
    For 3 seasons (starting on the fourth) it has worked perfectly with no problems at all. The other day we went for a ryde and the byke has sat for about 3 weeks. When I started it up and pulled it out, the compressor kicked on for about 2 seconds to freshen the air and that was all. I have no idea how long it will last, but we'll keep running it that way.
    Here is a link to some of the repair videos back in 2015.
    And, btw, I was at the dealer down South the other day and telling the parts guy what I had done and the service mgr overheard us and told me in no uncertain terms that putting the green slime in the air bag voided the warranty on the bag. I just shook my head........
    https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/how-to-videos
    Just scroll down to the video you want.
    Doc on the above you mentioned:-

I ended up putting 4oz of green slime into the bottom of the airbag while it was off the bike
    Could you put in one of the tyre sealants eg Amersea, Ride on, Green Slime etc into the air bag to protect against air leaks
    I know these products are added to tyres to seal them in the case of punctures and wondered if it would do the same for the Spyder rear Airbag system
    If it could be used I think you could remove the manual Schrader valve to put the sealant in
    reinstall the valve and reinflate the airbag
    Would it work with both the onboard Compressor and the manual only Spyder models
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Doc on the above you mentioned:-

I ended up putting 4oz of green slime into the bottom of the airbag while it was off the bike
    Could you put in one of the tyre sealants eg Amersea, Ride on, Green Slime etc into the air bag to protect against air leaks
    I know these products are added to tyres to seal them in the case of punctures and wondered if it would do the same for the Spyder rear Airbag system
    If it could be used I think you could remove the manual Schrader valve to put the sealant in
    reinstall the valve and reinflate the airbag
    Would it work with both the onboard Compressor and the manual only Spyder models
    Eddie, I thought long and hard about that and I decided the way the hoses are plumbed that stuff will go everywhere if added through the schrader. And if it gummed up the dump valve, or the check valve at the compressor, you would have quite a mess. Just like adding the ARRA to the bottom of the AB, adding some sealant directly into the AB when it was off is the best way. This also gives you a chance to clean the area on the swing arm that the AB sits. The reason we can get away with adding sealant to the bag is because it airs from the top, so no way for the sealant to get up that far.
    My suggestion is to remove the AB and do it the way I did. We are on our 4th season now with our "holy" AB still working fine.