Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine/Check Transmission

Hello All,

Was riding to work this morning and half way through the ride when I switched to 5th gear I got an E on the screen and then it keep saying check engine / check transmission. I pulled over, turned off the bike and turned it on and all went clear so I started riding. I went again into 5th gear and same thing, at this time I realized it was when I was getting to 5th gear it was getting the error. The bike was running and all just getting that error. I kept riding and then it started happening in 4th gear. I almost got to work and then it wouldn't get out of first gear until i pushed the up shift hard (SE5) and then if i let off the accelerator it went into E/N.

I don't like the symptoms it's presenting and I hope it's not a big big burden on my head.

When I did the oil change /exhaust replacement, I got the check transmission light once but it went again. Read on the forums it happens if you do an oil change.

Please help

5085429523537602096-account_id=1.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Position sensor?

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

if not a glitch or soft shifting it tends to be the position sensor. You could check the wiring which is in the area of the oil filters to make sure all connections are good/tight and not damaged. Or take it to the dealer who may find it faulty and replace it..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I just went to the bike and try to "force" the issue, and I took it up to 5th gear in the parking lot and no go. All good. I'll see hopefully when I'm going hope the issue comes up so that I can get a code. I've been riding for a few days now and nothing and until today.

Could it be me riding the bike "hard" and changing the gears at 4-5k rpm could have caused the issue.

It's a 2009 SE5 GS.

Now I'm paranoid.

Spyder Garage

If it's not a failing or faulty gear position sensor, then it's probably more likely to be attributable to being too gentle & not positive enough on your gear changes than it is to be due to 'riding hard'?!?

I'd suggest checking carefully that you haven't dislodged the wires or covered the position sensor with oil spill first, then give it another go, making sure that you are firm & direct about EVERY gear change rather than trying to be gentle or slow in your actions or tentatively trying to change gears with the revs too low. If the error 'E' keeps appearing, it's almost certainky gonna be a visit to the dealer job, & quite likely to need a new Gear Position Sensor, or at least cleaning up & drying out the one you've got - altho that seems to be a temporary fix at best!

Sorry, but these sensors in particular do tend to get a little tired over time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tecnodog7 View Post
    I just went to the bike and try to "force" the issue, and I took it up to 5th gear in the parking lot and no go. All good. I'll see hopefully when I'm going hope the issue comes up so that I can get a code. I've been riding for a few days now and nothing and until today.

Could it be me riding the bike "hard" and changing the gears at 4-5k rpm could have caused the issue.

It's a 2009 SE5 GS.

Now I'm paranoid.
    The recommended shift points for a 998 engine are 5000 - 5500. That is not riding the Spyder hard.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tecnodog7 View Post

It's a 2009 SE5 GS.

Now I'm paranoid.
    The symptoms point to a failing gear position sensor. It will likely need to changed out and the new one recalibrated.

Shifting up the rpm range is 4,500 to 9,000 rpm. There is no way that you should have been able to shift to 5th gear in a parking lot. Unless it's a really big parking lot.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The symptoms point to a failing gear position sensor. It will likely need to changed out and the new one recalibrated.

Shifting up the rpm range is 4,500 to 9,000 rpm. There is no way that you should have been able to shift to 5th gear in a parking lot. Unless it's a really big parking lot.
    Yup! That thought crossed my mind also. Maybe to much very low rpm shifting. Fifth gear is for 65 + mph. Around town, first or second may be sufficient. Drove the Hana Hwy on Maui (50 plus miles) in first gear. Speed mostly under 25.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

I was trying to just simulate the issue so I was shiffting at 3-4k and it was a half a mile stretch.

Spyder Garage

Hello All,

I ran into this issue this week, I screwed up to cause it. I was out riding yesterday and encountered frequent Check Tranny errors. I took it out today after reading this and other threads, and on my test ride I remembered that I had the RH controls off so I could turn the risers around. The RIVCO one has you orient the right side weird, and I want the riser turned over. When I pulle the controls they come off with the mini bar on them now so when I dropped the controls accidentally, it tugged on the connectors for the RH controls. I took off the appropriate skins, reconnected the connectors after cleaning them and treating them in dielectric grease, and the issue is resolved. My connector was VERY dirty, so before you order the part, try cleaning the switch connectors first. Just a tip. I am all fixed now.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black