Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Caution - Rivco RT Trunk Rack

I'm referring to this rack: https://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-mo..._review_tabbed

I just got one and started the process of installing it. Contrary to usual male tendencies I read the instructions. I noticed the template is a photocopy, and photocopies are notorious for not being accurately sized, so I checked the hole spacing against the reinforcing plate. Sure enough, the template was undersize. I made a new copy of the template, enlarging it to 105%. Almost dead on now!

So, before you tape the template on the trunk and drill holes, check it. It may not be the correct size.

I would be nice if Rivco included an accurately sized template in the box!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 05-17-2017 at 07:27 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a way to scan a copy of your accurate template, and post it in here?
    (Or would scanning, saving, posting, copying, and re-printing also mess things up?)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default For sure....

Photo copies do reduce the size of the original. Especially if they photocopy the photocopy cause each time it will get smaller. We fond out the hard way back when copiers came out and the draftmen in a pipeline company took to photocoping blueprints to make changes. In the field things got ugly...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Caution - Rivco RT Trunk Rack

IdahoMtnSpyder, I also put this rack on but I'm anal and like you did precheck the template with the rack....holes 1/4 off. I readjusted and install went great. I took it one step further and sent Rivco an email describing the situation and recommended that an accurate template be included. I got no response so buyers beware read check before install or you will have some wrong holes or big holes. safe riding
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I saw your post I thought there was a problem with the actual rack because I have one that I installed this past winter.
    I did use the template provided and if I recall, held it against the rack for comparison. I used the provided template and didn't have an issue with the spacing. I'm not saying you are wrong or anything and I agree that photocopies can distort over time. That sounds like what has happened here and appreciate your warning.

I was going to suggest contacting them but then saw trikerbiker645 had done that and didn't get a response to an email. I don't have a lot of faith in emailing a company as these things seem to get "lost in space" even though that shouldn't happen. If it was me I would try phoning them and talking to somebody. Value Accessories also is a major retailer of Rivco products and it might be worth contacting them. That is the company I purchased from. They do seem very responsive from my experience and would probably appreciate the heads up and might have better communication lines with Rivco.

Nobody wants to drill and then find out the holes won't line up.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

I got one of these Racks a while back now, so I had to go & dig out the fitting instructions to check this (yeah, I know... my Missus tells me I'm being overly anal to keep all the instructions once the farkles are fitted, but I've always done it & I still do it anyway!) and I will paraphrase here rather than copy the sections out word for word (all up, they are a tad longer than I really want to copy out at this time of night! )

The installation instructions that came with my Rivco Rack quite clearly direct that after cutting them out & taping the templates to the lid but before drilling anything, you should test fit the Rack over the templates to confirm that the templates are aligned properly, that the holes have the correct spacing, & that the Rack sits on the lid correctly; failing which you need to adjust the template or how it's affixed accordingly.

Those parts of the instructions take up a few sentences and are contained in their own little section, but as far as I can see, they are, at least to me anyway, quite clear in their directions to make sure that the provided template is correct & that your cutting & affixing is also correct...... Maybe we get different installation instructions here in Aus, our local supplier possibly includes his own version; or maybe they've deleted that bit from their instructions since I got my Rack (which was admittedly some time ago now?!) but they were certainly clear enough for me, & especially so about that 'confirm the template & where you stick it' bit?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I will paraphrase here rather than copy the sections out word for word (all up, they are a tad longer than I really want to copy out at this time of night! )
    I took those instructions mostly to mean to make sure the rack is sitting evenly on the trunk lid and properly seated and that the template is then properly aligned to the properly aligned rack. I really didn't read them to say, "Make sure our template is correctly printed!"

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    When I saw your post I thought there was a problem with the actual rack because I have one that I installed this past winter.
    How was the fit between the sides of the rack and the sides of the lid? I ask because my rack does not sit snugly against the lid. I wrote to Rivco and said it looks to me like there should be a bit greater distance between the bends and the rack sides should be angled downward a bit more. I'm concerned that when the mounting bolts are tightened the sides of the trunk lid will be pulled outward. The rack metal is pretty stiff. Rivco says that's they way they're designed. I'm having a hard time thinking that an ill fit between the two is correct.

Rack fit left side 2.jpg Rack fit right side 2.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I put it up on the trunk and had my son hold it in place and marked where the holes went. no problem.
    mtbear

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    How was the fit between the sides of the rack and the sides of the lid? I ask because my rack does not sit snugly against the lid. I wrote to Rivco and said it looks to me like there should be a bit greater distance between the bends and the rack sides should be angled downward a bit more. I'm concerned that when the mounting bolts are tightened the sides of the trunk lid will be pulled outward. The rack metal is pretty stiff. Rivco says that's they way they're designed. I'm having a hard time thinking that an ill fit between the two is correct.

Rack fit left side 2.jpg Rack fit right side 2.jpg
    Sorry, wasn't on until this morning and didn't see, hence reply to your question.
    The sides of the rack are pretty flush with the sides of the trunk on mine. I don't recall the sides of the trunk being pulled out to the rack but rather they lined up flush. Hard to tell if the gap at the top corners are similar but there is definitely a fair sized gap on mine. At the center of the rack where the pad is, my pad is not touching the top center of the trunk. My rack is pretty much level front to back and obviously side to side. Hope that helps at least a little.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    Sorry, wasn't on until this morning and didn't see, hence reply to your question.
    The sides of the rack are pretty flush with the sides of the trunk on mine. I don't recall the sides of the trunk being pulled out to the rack but rather they lined up flush. Hard to tell if the gap at the top corners are similar but there is definitely a fair sized gap on mine. At the center of the rack where the pad is, my pad is not touching the top center of the trunk. My rack is pretty much level front to back and obviously side to side. Hope that helps at least a little.

Gary
    Thanks. I'm going to take a couple more pics in the daylight so I don't need a flash and send them to Rivco. I'm not sure they understood what I was asking about. I think their answer was directed at the space at top when what I'm concerned about is the gap along the sides.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I wanted my Rivco trunk rack a bit higher so I used tape to protect the trunk and spacers using the rack itself to mark the holes. Higher because I wanted more visibility for the High Mount Brake light on the trunk lid,
    I worked in the sheet metal trades for a few years and the only templet I trusted was my own.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I got it installed today, but I'm not 100% happy with the fit. I talked to Josh at Rivco and he assured me the rack was built according to the specs. They intend for the sides to be drawn in when the bolts are tightened. When I got the rack located so it fit the best it was about 1/8" higher than the template locations. After bolting it down it sits about a 1/2" above the top of the trunk lid, more than is intended. It is also very slightly distorted, but not enough to prevent it from doing its job. I still contend the design is just not quite right. If I was designing it I sure wouldn't have it configured to be be forcefully pulled into place. Not good engineering practice IMO. When I worked at the Strategic Petroleum Reserve the word was no equipment, regardless large it was, (we're talking pumps in 16" and 24" pipelines) was to be forced to fit.

As for the template problem whoever printed a half dozen copies of the instructions set the printer for fit to paper instead of actual size. At Josh's suggestion I downloaded the PDF from the website and printed it at actual size. It was almost dead on.

Even though I don't agree with Josh's reasoning about the fit of the rack, I appreciate the fact he was more than willing to discuss it and explain their view. He said he understood my concern but didn't agree it was a problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

and now you know what the rest of us were talking about...Mine also fits as yours does from the sound of things.......safe riding.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.