Thread: Screen Problem

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Screen Problem

Sometime when I get ready to start my 2012 Spyder, it won't start. I turn the key on, and sometimes the screen (digital display) doesn't show anything, it's blank or sometime the screen turns "fuzzy."

Sometime it will show the statement about "reading the safety card." After that, I press the "mode" button, nothing else shows up on the screen. Of course when I try to start it, "nothing" happens. Sometimes when I hit the start button, I will hear a small "click," or a couple of clicks. When I turn the key off and I wait a few minutes, it will starts. When it starts, it will show a "gas pump" (code) in the digital display, even though it doesn't need gas. After I get home, the next time I start it, the "gas pump" warning is not there and it starts up as usual. The battery is new, and I keep it on a battery tender, so it's not the battery.

I have 11,000 miles on the Spyder, and have had it serviced according to the manual. They always tells me there is nothing wrong with it. Other than that, the bike runs good. As you can imagine, I have a $30K Spyder, and very disappointed with the fact that "I am afraid to ride it out of town." Can anybody help me!!

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

You need to recheck all the cables for good solid connections. Don't know who changed the battery or what kind but there are problems with the wrong bolts that don't allow for a tight connection. Ground straps should be checked as well. You could check all relays and fueses are well seated. It will be in the battery and the connections.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Check your connections

The battery connections will work loose. If this is the case.....Per Blueknight Mike, add star washers to the terminals and it will never be a concern......Worked for me, thanks Mike!
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What they said.

And in addition, just because the battery is new and you keep it on a tender does NOT necessarily mean that it can't be bad.
    New parts sometimes fail too.......and batteries can have intermittent connections INSIDE too.......and chargers can fail too.

If nothing obvious shows up in the cable connection check, you probably need a voltmeter to check things while it is in the failing condition.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Screen Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You need to recheck all the cables for good solid connections. Don't know who changed the battery or what kind but there are problems with the wrong bolts that don't allow for a tight connection. Ground straps should be checked as well. You could check all relays and fueses are well seated. It will be in the battery and the connections.

Thanks - I will check and post results.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Screen Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    What they said.

And in addition, just because the battery is new and you keep it on a tender does NOT necessarily mean that it can't be bad.
    New parts sometimes fail too.......and batteries can have intermittent connections INSIDE too.......and chargers can fail too.

If nothing obvious shows up in the cable connection check, you probably need a voltmeter to check things while it is in the failing condition.

Thank you, will check.