Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I think my Baja Ron Sway bar is squeaking

I have had this squeak for a while when hitting bumps. I thought is was my shocks but since I can not duplicate the sound while sitting still I have zeroed in on the swaybar. The bar is nice and tight on both sides. Is it possible that it is causing a squeak? If so has anyone else had this problem? What is the possible solutions? Any Ideas?

Spyder Garage

My Spyder came new from the dealer with Ron's bar on it. I used to notice a squeak when I climbed on the machine and thought it might be the bar. Never heard any squeaking on the road. Checked and everything was tight. Sprayed a little silicon on the bushings but the squeak was still there. It eventually went away and I can't tell you when I noticed it was no longer there. Can't really confirm what caused it. Running fine at 24K+ and no squeaks.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I'm getting a slight clicking sound coming from the sway-bar -- can actually feel it when I hold onto the bottom nut/bolt assembly of the link on the left side (left - sitting on bike).

Can't hear it while in motion so I'm ignoring it ... for now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I cant reproduce the sound when parked no matter how much I bounce on it. So it must be something other then the shocks. The only thing I can think of is the sway bar.

Spyder Garage

How long or if ever since you greased the A-arms?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    How long or if ever since you greased the A-arms?
    Mine was squeeking when i'd climb aboard. a arms needed a shot of grease. boy what a pita that is to do without an angled fitting on the grease gun hose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I'm getting a slight clicking sound coming from the sway-bar -- can actually feel it when I hold onto the bottom nut/bolt assembly of the link on the left side (left - sitting on bike).

HayRog,

I had that noise when I put my weight on the floorboard. It was a loose ball in the Helm joint. Apparently it happens from time to time due to the tight tolerances. If you have a spare 10 minutes take the Helm joint out and see how freely the balls move. If there is very little resistance, that is likely the cause of the clicking. Apparently there is nothing to worry about as far as integrity is concerned if the ball is loose, but it's worth replacing.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post

I had a clicking sound on mine when I got on and off of the bike or when I stepped on the right floor board. Never had a click on the left side, . I found that one of the bolts through the links on the right side wasn't tight. I tightened it up all clicking went away.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    HayRog,

I had that noise when I put my weight on the floorboard. It was a loose ball in the Helm joint. Apparently it happens from time to time due to the tight tolerances. If you have a spare 10 minutes take the Helm joint out and see how freely the balls move. If there is very little resistance, that is likely the cause of the clicking. Apparently there is nothing to worry about as far as integrity is concerned if the ball is loose, but it's worth replacing.

Pete
    Thanks Pete, good to know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I had a clicking sound on mine when I got on and off of the bike or when I stepped on the right floor board. Never had a click on the left side, . I found that one of the bolts through the links on the right side wasn't tight. I tightened it up all clicking went away.
    First thing I did was tighten the bolts - didn't make any difference.
    If it gets worse I'll have to replace the link.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Mine was squeeking when i'd climb aboard. a arms needed a shot of grease. boy what a pita that is to do without an angled fitting on the grease gun hose.
    what the hell is a a arm? I would love to shoot it with grease, it is driving me nuts!!!

Spyder Garage

Default A Arm

Its a name for the upper and lower A Frames
    that connect the Wheel spindle (ball Joints) to the Bike frame.
    Should be 4 zerk (grease) fittings (Upper, Lower, Front and Back) at the frame end of the A Arms.

Spyder Garage

You can re-produce any noise that the sway bar (and sometimes from other front end suspension components) by straddling the seat with your feet on the pegs, floorboard, whatever, and rocking back and forth (left to right). This loads and unloads the suspension on each wheel simulating much of what happens as you ride down the road. Sounds can be created by a number of moving parts.

If you do not grease your A-Arms with every oil service you are asking for worn parts there which can create a lot of seemingly unrelated issues.

(Update) Of course this applies only to those models which are equipped with the ability to grease as mentioned in another post.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-16-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A Arm.jpgI have my services done by dealer, at the 9600 service I complained about the Squeak but of course they said they did not hear anything. Is this something I can do myself? or do you need special tools? I could not find a picture of the F3 A Arms but here is a ST. Is this the area you are talking about?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You can re-produce any noise that the sway bar (and sometimes from other front end suspension components) by straddling the seat with your feet on the pegs, floorboard, whatever, and rocking back and forth (left to right). This loads and unloads the suspension on each wheel simulating much of what happens as you ride down the road. Sounds can be created by a number of moving parts.

If you do not grease your A-Arms with every oil service you are asking for worn parts there which can create a lot of seemingly unrelated issues.

Hope this helps!
    I looked for zerk fittings on my 2015 a arms and can't find them. did they perchance remove them? I think I read something here about them being gone on the 2014, but I can't seam to find that in a search.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The zerks were removed in 2013...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The zerks were removed in 2013...
    Thanks very much. So how due your service or grease them now? Something that is dealer only, or do they not need greasing or servicing?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Zerk Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    A Arm.jpgI have my services done by dealer, at the 9600 service I complained about the Squeak but of course they said they did not hear anything. Is this something I can do myself? or do you need special tools? I could not find a picture of the F3 A Arms but here is a ST. Is this the area you are talking about?
    Yes, those are the sites for lubrication. Same as my 2013 STS.
    Fittings are on the top of the arm - above the arrow.
    I use an automotive grease gun and a 90 degree chuck.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerbuilt-9...item3f4428667e
    Its a tight/messy fit but it works.

Note - Grease fittings were deleted on some later model Spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Thanks very much. So how due your service or grease them now? Something that is dealer only, or do they not need greasing or servicing?
    The ball joints are allegedly made of better quality and are permanently lubricated with higher quality, grease therefore they do not need periodic lubrication. The service schedule for post 2013 Spyders with the 1330 engine (don't know about the other models) calls for checking the ball joints and tie rod ends at the 9,300 routine service intervals. If you do your own service, each time you lift the front wheels off the ground you should check for play by grabbing the wheels at 6 and 12 o'clock and pulling them back and forth to see if there is any play in the ball joints and do the same thing at 3 and 9 o'clock to check the tie rod ends.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So if these "ball joints" are going bad I would think they would not be covered under warranty. I cant be sure that my dealer checked them at 9300 even though I told them I was hearing a squeak. I only have 11,500 miles on this F3 and although I have hit a few pot holes I would not think they would be going bad this soon.

Spyder Garage

Sorry. I was not very clear. My entire comment was a generic approach to front end noises which will work on any Spyder of any model and year. My A-Arm greasing comment was also designed to be generic but, of course, only for those Spyder models which are designed to be serviced (greased). Your F3, as mentioned in another post, is not one of these. Your A-Arm bushings are sealed. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-16-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

So if these "ball joints" are going bad I would think they would not be covered under warranty. I cant be sure that my dealer checked them at 9300 even though I told them I was hearing a squeak. I only have 11,500 miles on this F3 and although I have hit a few pot holes I would not think they would be going bad this soon.
    Pot holes can be devastating on wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and other suspension components. I would be surprised if BRP covered these, including the A-Arm bushings.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found the squeak!!!!! it was the left side Baja Ron Heim Joint Link. Don't know why it is squeaking but added a few drops of oil and it stopped the squeak.