Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No 1330 Engines

Spyder Garage

Default No 1330 Engines

I wonder if BRP is temporarily shutting down the factory. On 05-11-2017 I was told that there were no 1330 engines available for 3 months.

The above statement was both facetious and my venting of mounting frustration.

And now for the rest of the story.

I will try to make a long story short. While on a recent out of town (04-22-2017) ryding trip with friends my 2015 F 3s (11,000 Miles) started running terrible with power loss. Had it towed to a nearby BRP dealer. As this was a Saturday evening I knew I would be without any information until the following Tuesday.
    Over the period of the next several days the dealer tech. phoned me with the following information;

1. BUDS indicates bad injector on cylinder # 3

2. BUDS indicates map sensor problem

3. one or both ( don't remember), exhaust valves stuck open on cylinder # 3, would need to pull engine

4. appears to be damage to # 3 cylinder wall

Tech. says he had long conversation with BRP, they want him to send lots of pictures and go farther into engine tear down to try and determine what caused this and IF it will be covered under warranty, the only apparent fix is a new engine. My response: what do you mean if it is covered under warranty, I purchased additional warranty coverage until Jan. 2020, he stated BRP has to decide if it is something they will cover or if it is due to owner/other negligence or improperly done mechanical work.
    Tech. says he told BRP that he is concerned that after all the work he has done that if warranty does not cover the cost of an engine replacement, I will tell him to keep it and he will be out all his pay for work done. BRP assured him they would pay his labor cost regardless of their decision and either way, no 1330 engines would be available for 3 months.

Wait a minute, this began on April 22, 2017, it is now May 11, Tech. still has more tear down to do, and no engines available for 3 months.
    I am usually a positive person but this is quickly becoming frustrating.

By the way, congratulations to Ann.

Mel

Spyder Garage

Mel,
    Sorry to hear about your motor issues-that's frustrating, especially with an extended warranty. I hope they can resolve this quickly and easily for you.

Norm
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Wow... that totally sucks and is BS that BRP thinks you should wait 3 or more months for a new engine.
    I'd turn the heat onto HI right away. Why can't they have the tech steal an engine from a floor model and then let that Spyder wait 3 months for the new engine?

They should get a new engine in yours ASAP and just send the broken one to Wisconsin for further evaluation. Doesn't really matter much to you what they find.. you just want a new engine and to get back on the road!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At 11,000 miles the only scheduled service would be the initial one. It would be pretty hard to screw up the motor that quickly. Did you have the first service done at a dealer? Firefly and I don't agree on much except when it comes to Spyder's and he's right they should get you a motor asap
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Cares needs to see this

Anyone that may have contact with BRP or BRPCARES could you please make them aware of this thread and perhaps step in to lend a hand here.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

I had to wait 2 1/2 months for a Water pump. Seems BRP does not keep a lot of spare parts around.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    At 11,000 miles the only scheduled service would be the initial one. It would be pretty hard to screw up the motor that quickly. Did you have the first service done at a dealer? Firefly and I don't agree on much except when it comes to Spyder's and he's right they should get you a motor asap
    I know first hand this bike has been meticulously maintained and has lived a very relaxed life. Well under the required service intervals and well documented. Its not a matter of maintenance or fuel quality. (we were running on the same fuel from the same station purchased at the same time when this occurred).

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Anyone that may have contact with BRP or BRPCARES could you please make them aware of this thread and perhaps step in to lend a hand here.
    BRP Care has been notified and is responding with me.

Thanks James

Spyder Garage

Tell ya what, if this is any indication of how BRP handles warrany issues we may not be long for this brand. For what they charge, beginning with the vehicles and right down to the BRP accessories, they should roll out red carpets. I have a car business and if something blows up within the warranty period my customers would lynch me if i even hinted that something may not be covered. We never argue and always show good will, even if out of warranty many many times.
    So far our first experience with BRP has not been great (see my other threads) and stories like this arent helping. These toys cost far too much to be getting the run around.

Spyder Garage

As long as BRP care is now involved, you are talking with the right people.

Many things I am not liking such as "MAY not be under warranty." Don't know if that is mis communication or not. Dealer may be out of line on this?????????????

Three months to replace an engine? NOT? When our computer crashed on the 2009, back then, the dealer snarfed one from another machine and it was fixed in less than 24 hours. And parts were really scarce back then.

Let's give BRP a chance to make it right before the flame throwers come out. Tick, tick, tick.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-15-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I wonder in Honda is paying attention to things like this........

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

With the customer service that BRP gives, when Honda does come out with a 3 wheeler, you will see a mass exodus from BRP.

If my wife had a fraction of the problems some on here have had we would have traded it in a long time ago. Luckily her F3 has been problem free, but I would not keep it out of warranty just in case.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    With the customer service that BRP gives, when Honda does come out with a 3 wheeler, you will see a mass exodus from BRP.

If my wife had a fraction of the problems some on here have had we would have traded it in a long time ago. Luckily her F3 has been problem free, but I would not keep it out of warranty just in case.

Go read the Honda Gold Wing forums if you think Honda service is so all fired perfect. They deny LOTS of warranty claims and have plenty of dealer idiots too. The grass is not greener on the other side.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole, "IF it will be covered under warranty," statement. This is just somebody's misguided attempt to cver their butt with a disclaimer...

And YES! They need to pull an engine out of a bike on the floor!
    Get loud, and get persistent: good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    As long as BRP care is now involved, you are talking with the right people.

Many things I am not liking such as "MAY not be under warranty." Don't know if that is mis communication or not. Dealer may be out of line on this?????????????

Three months to replace an engine? NOT? When our computer crashed on the 2009, back then, the dealer snarfed one from another machine and it was fixed in less than 24 hours. And parts were really scarce back then.

Let's give BRP a chance to make it right before the flame throwers come out. Tick, tick, tick.

You are right, probably too early to go into panic mode and it may all work out fine in the end. BRP doesn't know me from Adam but can see what work has been done by their dealers. I was thinking about what others warranty experiences have been. The dealer has been very good about communicating with me each step of the way and hopefully are just relaying worst case scenarios.

I will keep updating as I receive more information, terms such as if and 3 months just have a way of getting someone excited.

Hoping for the best.

Mel

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mel, we are all hoping for the best and fastest fix for you.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have 2800 miles on my 6 month old F3 T and just received a price for the 3 year extended warranty. As I read this I wonder why I should PAY more for a warranty that appears to not provide much at all in terms of peace of mind and coverage. I realize nothing has been settled yet but just the response of the dealer is disturbing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Go read the Honda Gold Wing forums if you think Honda service is so all fired perfect. They deny LOTS of warranty claims and have plenty of dealer idiots too. The grass is not greener on the other side.
    JC,
    That may be but far fewer Hondas breakdown than spyders. I have owned many Hondas over the years and I've never had any warranty issues with any of them

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Wow... that totally sucks and is BS that BRP thinks you should wait 3 or more months for a new engine.
    I'd turn the heat onto HI right away. Why can't they have the tech steal an engine from a floor model and then let that Spyder wait 3 months for the new engine?

They should get a new engine in yours ASAP and just send the broken one to Wisconsin for further evaluation. Doesn't really matter much to you what they find.. you just want a new engine and to get back on the road!

Spyder Garage

At least it's a 1330 not a 998. Last year I blew the engine on my 2012 RT-S. The factory does not carry new 998. The dealer has to tear it down and order all the parts individually. One out of stock part and your bike is down till back order comes in. I was told 3 months minimum. Traded it in for new machine. Too long downtime.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Hate to give you a "wake up call". A lot of this kind of brow beating goes on in the lower 48. Another version of this is "the customer has to pay until it is determined that the problem is a true warranty issue".
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am hearing of dealers browbeating customers so that they can make more money than what they would be paid on a warranteed repair. That is total BS and BRP needs to nip all those incidences in the bud. There is no standard cost for service. The dealer gets to charge all the traffic can bear. This makes the company look very bad, does not build confidence, and turns away potential buyers.
    They are at a critical juncture in their history. If they don't get these dealerships in line things may not be so good in the future.
    You can only piss off so many people for so long until it starts hurting your business.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder-Mel View Post
    You are right, probably too early to go into panic mode and it may all work out fine in the end. BRP doesn't know me from Adam but can see what work has been done by their dealers. I was thinking about what others warranty experiences have been. The dealer has been very good about communicating with me each step of the way and hopefully are just relaying worst case scenarios.

I will keep updating as I receive more information, terms such as if and 3 months just have a way of getting someone excited.

Hoping for the best.

Mel
    Yes. Please keep us updated. I am glad that your dealer is communicating with you. With BRP also communicating with the dealer it is likely going to be a favorable outcome. Hang in there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Hate to give you a "wake up call". A lot of this kind of brow beating goes on in the lower 48. Another version of this is "the customer has to pay until it is determined that the problem is a true warranty issue".
    I am very aware of what goes on in land. I have been around since day one. I purchased the first one sold in Alaska to a customer. Have owned five assorted. Have been through the many ups and downs with BRP and the product. If you read my handle, I consider myself as a Consumer Advocate--not always a BRP advocate. I am an equal opportunity advocate/abuser, but also willing to give them a chance to fix it before firing up the flame thrower--Which I have done a few times.

Let's see how this episode turns out.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    JC,
    That may be but far fewer Hondas breakdown than spyders. I have owned many Hondas over the years and I've never had any warranty issues with any of them
    Gee. The Honda dealer shop is full of them....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame