Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting ready for Homecoming travel

I'm wimping out this trip and trailering to Homecoming. I bought an Aluma trailer and will tow it with my car. I have a locking pin to secure my hitch to the receiver on the car and a pin to lock the trailer hitch closed. When the trailer is unhitched from the car I have a lock in it's coupler to keep someone from driving off with it. I have a cable lock through the trailer spare and around the tongue. I have a Club Claw lock to keep the trailer from rolling. I have a cable lock to secure the Spyder when it's on the trailer. I also have spare car and Spyder keys. I've got two keys for each thing except the padlock on the cable lock to secure the Spyder on the trailer. I have a third key for some of them. So, I'm keeping a set of the 2-fer keys locked in the Spyder and a set locked in the car. My main Spyder keys are usually around my neck on a lanyard when I'm ryding. I'll probably get another lanyard for the car key. So my question - where to keep the spare car and Spyder keys? Purse? Suitcase? Any other ideas?

I'll trailer to Michigan, then on to Niagara Falls, Ontario where I'll meet up with MurphyBrown and others, then go with them to our Homecoming hotel. After the owner's event I'll probably visit with the alignment party and then head over to Acadia NP in Maine. Then I'll work my way down the east coast. When I get sick of traveling, I'll head west for home. My goal is to add as many eastern states to my ryde map as possible. If any of you in that region want to meet up for some tying while I'm in your vicinity, let me know by PM-ing my here.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While you're towing, and parking in Hotel lots at night: back the trailer in as physically close to your door as possible...
    ...And deploy all of those locks to their best possible usage!
    Good luck, and I hope that you can swing by here on your way home!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Prairie Spyder, just want to give you a heads up on Acadia NP. If you or any Spder ryders plan on going there after the Homecoming event, there is a lot of construction on the main route to Bar Harbor. Expect long delays, there is a few ways around the construction, but there will be a lot of traffic on those small roads. There is a part of Acadia NP east of Bar Harbor, called Schoodic Point. Wife and I really like going there. A lot less traffic. Maybe we will see you at Homecoming. Bruce

Spyder Garage

Default Getting Ready

See that you have an F3 just wondering what model Aluma and what ramp bi-fold or regular did you purchase. I'm at the trailering point/age myself now but have a 14 RTS.
    2019 Rally , GMUltra Violet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSpyder View Post
    See that you have an F3 just wondering what model Aluma and what ramp bi-fold or regular did you purchase. I'm at the trailering point/age myself now but have a 14 RTS.
    I got the 7210 model with the regular gate.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Smile

Can you really add to your map if you are trailering in that state? LoL just saying.

Your going through Michigan? So you must be going right past me. (just on far west outskirts of Metro Detroit) We live about 5 miles north of your route. at 275 & I94.

We will be going up that way, probably on the 31st, but we don't go through Niagara Falls. We are continuing up the 401, past Toronto, and Montreal.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Can you really add to your map if you are trailering in that state? LoL just saying.

Your going through Michigan? So you must be going right past me. (just on far west outskirts of Metro Detroit) We live about 5 miles north of your route. at 275 & I94.

We will be going up that way, probably on the 31st, but we don't go through Niagara Falls. We are continuing up the 401, past Toronto, and Montreal.
    Well, the Spyder can be removed from the trailer to be ridden at any time. I expect to do so frequently. There wouldn't be any point in hauling it all that way not to ride it, right?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I do...

First of all have a great trip and enjoy the whole experience.. as for keys...i carry one set in my pocket and one ariund my neck...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Why do those "pesky keys" seem to disappear even when you think you have enough of them!

Have a great trip Patty. You will not be disappointed with the Aluma trailer.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Thread Police.jpg

Or in this case: the MAP Police!

Spyder Garage

Default Map

Simple rule: color in state you rode your Spyder in. Trailering, shipping or flying over does not count!
    There are a couple of great hiding places for spare keys: under the top panels, in a waterproof container, or behind a speaker grille. Around your neck is good. Zip tied to the frame in a hidden location. Ann hides her spare key in my saddlebag!
    See you there, Patty!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Loaded up. Bro is fixing the electrical connections to the trailer. He's nice to have around.

I pkan to to get past KC tonight, then near Chicago tomorrow.

IMG_0398.jpg IMG_0402.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have a safe trip, and please try to stay in touch with your progress...
    Safe travels!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I'm wimping out this trip and trailering to Homecoming. I bought an Aluma trailer and will tow it with my car. I have a locking pin to secure my hitch to the receiver on the car and a pin to lock the trailer hitch closed. When the trailer is unhitched from the car I have a lock in it's coupler to keep someone from driving off with it. I have a cable lock through the trailer spare and around the tongue. I have a Club Claw lock to keep the trailer from rolling. I have a cable lock to secure the Spyder when it's on the trailer. I also have spare car and Spyder keys. I've got two keys for each thing except the padlock on the cable lock to secure the Spyder on the trailer. I have a third key for some of them. So, I'm keeping a set of the 2-fer keys locked in the Spyder and a set locked in the car. My main Spyder keys are usually around my neck on a lanyard when I'm ryding. I'll probably get another lanyard for the car key. So my question - where to keep the spare car and Spyder keys? Purse? Suitcase? Any other ideas?

I'll trailer to Michigan, then on to Niagara Falls, Ontario where I'll meet up with MurphyBrown and others, then go with them to our Homecoming hotel. After the owner's event I'll probably visit with the alignment party and then head over to Acadia NP in Maine. Then I'll work my way down the east coast. When I get sick of traveling, I'll head west for home. My goal is to add as many eastern states to my ryde map as possible. If any of you in that region want to meet up for some tying while I'm in your vicinity, let me know by PM-ing my here.
    You are going to love Acadia NP. A true gem.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOMECOMING

Loaded up. Bro is fixing the electrical connections to the trailer. He's nice to have around.

I pkan to to get past KC tonight, then near Chicago tomorrow.

IMG_0398.jpg IMG_0402.jpg
    Glad to see you decided on ......STRAPS OVER THE TIRES .............. safe travels see you here / there & everywhere .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-26-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm at Port Huron, Mich. and will go on to meet up with Murphybrown at Niagara Falls, Ont. tomorrow. It's a beautiful day and I planned to ryde Mich and Ont. As I tried to back the Spyder over the chicks the rear wheel just spun @ the back crawled sideways.

I put a rug behind the rear tire for some traction. The rug ended up slung under the Spyder to the front of the trailer. I tried again using a car mat duck-taped to the back edge of the trailer. Same result.

It ended up with the right front tire in front of the front chock! I tried to use a tie-down ratchet to wench the rear end back left. Didn't work.

There re was a landscape maintenance guy mowing at the hotel and he wrangled the back end more or less straight on the trailer and then pulled back as I ran in reverse. I finally got it off the trailer!

So so I rode across the Blue Water Bridge to Sarnia, Ont.
    IMG_0404.jpg

Now I'm having a great lunch and watching the freighters go under the bridge. I'm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Patti, if you have the time, check out the Thousand Islands, they're at the east end on Lake Ontario, some of the best scenery in the area. And there's a castle in the middle of the river you can visit; check Boldt's Castle.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thread Police.jpg

Or in this case: the MAP Police!

Watch out in Quebec.....we have language police, really!
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default Hope you have good weather and riding.

If you need a place to stay in Bar Harbor, these folks are the absolute nicest people you can find. At Hutchins Cottages http://www.hutchinscottages.com/ The owner actually pulled his car out of his personal garage last year so I could park the spyder in it while the hail storm came through. Moderate cabins with no frills, but very clean and reasonably priced with a beautiful view of the mountains. If you are in the mood for a wonderful burger as well, this Irish bar right on the waterfron t in downtown bar harbor called Paddys Irish Pub has fantastic burgers and quite an elaborate menu as well. http://www.theweststreethotel.com/paddys/

I'm at Port Huron, Mich. and will go on to meet up with Murphybrown at Niagara Falls, Ont. tomorrow. It's a beautiful day and I planned to ryde Mich and Ont. As I tried to back the Spyder over the chicks the rear wheel just spun @ the back crawled sideways.

I put a rug behind the rear tire for some traction. The rug ended up slung under the Spyder to the front of the trailer. I tried again using a car mat duck-taped to the back edge of the trailer. Same result.

It ended up with the right front tire in front of the front chock! I tried to use a tie-down ratchet to wench the rear end back left. Didn't work.

There re was a landscape maintenance guy mowing at the hotel and he wrangled the back end more or less straight on the trailer and then pulled back as I ran in reverse. I finally got it off the trailer!

So so I rode across the Blue Water Bridge to Sarnia, Ont.
    IMG_0404.jpg

Now I'm having a great lunch and watching the freighters go under the bridge. I'm
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Watch out in Quebec.....we have language police, really!
    You're kidding... Eh?

Spyder Garage

Pattie,

Have a safe trip!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue