GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Both ACS and Heated Grips Not Working

HMMMM .... appeared after the key switch was replaced (necessary due to the lock direction being frozen / difficult to turn and not able to lock the bars / frunk / glove box). Probably just coincidence as I have not used either one in several weeks ... I know the grips were working on 4/29 as I used them during a cold rainy ride to Midland / Odessa. Not sure of the last time I adjusted the air suspension (ACS), so no clue when the last time it worked. Anyway, the next day's ride back from Midland / Odessa was the one where we ran into 45 to 65 MPH cross winds and I was worried about the front end "taking flight."

So, since I have the manual, I did some digging and was able to ... I think .... determine that one, or more, relays are bad. The picture is a cutout from the wiring diagram. If I am reading this right, there is a relay "R4 - suspension" in the left fuse box and there is a connection to a "R4 - load shedding" relay in the right fuse box. In between these relays is a connection to the heated grips (front and rear).

As I am not an electrical engineer and only have limited experience reading such diagrams, I am not sure I have correctly diagnosed the problem. Hoping that someone with the correct background can confirm my suspicion as that will be an easy fix (although, why the relay(s) went bad to begin with is a bit troublesome).

RelaySpyder.jpg

Feedback appreciated ..... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

I will bet the horn does not work either. You blew a fuse. The most likely scenario is the compressor has failed and the caused the fuse to blow.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Fuse and Horn

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I will bet the horn does not work either. You blew a fuse. The most likely scenario is the compressor has failed and the caused the fuse to blow.
    Possible, I guess ... though looking at the diagrams, there are no actual fuses associated with the suspension (just a relay). I will check the horn and it's fuse tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up..... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Everything has a fuse. According to your owners guide it's F5 in the right fuse box.
    right fuse box.JPG

fuses.JPG

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Since they may have removed the center bodywork, maybe they forgot to reconnect the center switch cluster. How about foglights, working or inop. Parking brake, working or inop?

Spyder Garage

Default Blown Fuse

Everything has a fuse. According to your owners guide it's F5 in the right fuse box.
    Yep, right you are .... that fuse was blown. I replaced it and tried the horn -- no great surprise, it works. However, as expected, as soon as I fire the engine and the compressor makes a try at adjusting the suspension, fuse blows again and the horn does not work. Heated grips appear tied to this same "load shedding" circuit, so that explains why they don't work once the fuse blows. One thing I am not certain of is if the grips work without the engine running -- we replaced the fuse and turned the key switch on. Horn still works, but grips never get warm; should they if the engine is off?

Thanks for the responses to date, helps a great deal to nail down the problem .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default Working

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Since they may have removed the center bodywork, maybe they forgot to reconnect the center switch cluster. How about foglights, working or inop. Parking brake, working or inop?
    It appears that they did connect the center switch cluster as the following all work -- parking brake, foglights, and I can get the suspension to adjust "down" but never up (sometimes it won't adjust at all and just puts up a big "manual" message on the console.

Sigh .... based on what billybovine has said; looks like my compressor is blown. Good news is the air bag appears to be holding air ... so that's good.

Thanks for the response .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Yep, right you are .... that fuse was blown. I replaced it and tried the horn -- no great surprise, it works. However, as expected, as soon as I fire the engine and the compressor makes a try at adjusting the suspension, fuse blows again and the horn does not work. Heated grips appear tied to this same "load shedding" circuit, so that explains why they don't work once the fuse blows. One thing I am not certain of is if the grips work without the engine running -- we replaced the fuse and turned the key switch on. Horn still works, but grips never get warm; should they if the engine is off?

Thanks for the responses to date, helps a great deal to nail down the problem .... Ann
    The fuse is hot all the time. The horn will work even without the key on. The ACS and heated grips are on the load shedding relay. They will only work with the engine running.

I think the first step would be to disconnect the compressor. That will confirm that it is bad. Then figure out why it failed. Most likely a leak in the airbag. Check for leaks.
    Last edited by billybovine; 05-15-2017 at 08:41 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Compressor

I think the first step would be to disconnect the compressor. That will confirm that it is bad. Then figure out why it failed. Most likely a leak in the airbag. Check for leaks.
    I thought about doing that ... but, the is not that old (bought it last August, and it is a 2016); so, it is under warranty. For now, I have put about 35 lbs in the air bag through the Schrader valve under the seat and will monitor. Not that far from my next service ... a few hundred miles, and the dealer is primed to diagnose at that time. May have to order parts ..... but I am suspecting that you have correctly identified the problem. Obviously under warranty .... so will turn it over to the dealer and let them handle it.

Thanks for your insight .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap