Thread: RS vs RT vs F3

Spyder Garage

Default RS vs RT vs F3

I'm not sure where to put this so if I'm in error. go ahead and holler. And as always, thank you everyone for putting up with me.

So I've bonded with my new to me RS. Smitten with it and angry with myself for being afraid of the Spyder so many years. We've added the air foil, pulled Tupperware, poked around, and done and O&F change.

I must thank MR baharon for having the wherewithal to ask dumb ole me to measure. Seems I have the ultra high performance extended oil filter. From what I've read it, it is guaranteed to add 35 HP and 50 Ft lbs. Awesome

Some of you kind mentors also know I became smitten with the cognac and have a desire for luggage space and started down the path of searching for a 14 RT and putting my new baby on the for sale block.

Luggage drove this. though to my surprise my bike with my old motofizz luggage bag carried an absolute one of groceries home last week including ssquash , corn and a watermelon . and for job two I am able to get my computer bag and a coffee in the trunk and my deluth karls lunch box in the motofizz. So I'm surviving. who needs tools anyway. don't need first aid kits because I'm only weak to kryptonite. Don't need rain gear because the bike creates a protective bubble everywhere but at a stop sign. I'm golden.

So...I'm still hunting for the RT thinking maybe the seating position will also be a bit more relaxed for mr knee and Mr hip. My RS has bar backs, floor boards and a corbin but my legs still have to fold.

Then.... I start seeing adds for the F3. Well I don't know anything about these. So I start reading. hmmm seems I wouldn't have the luggage capacity , no heated seat, no heated grips, no natural weather protection, But...... sure looks like you can stretch out the ole man legs. not sure how mr spine would feel about it though.

So yes, Ive done some reading here but now that I've started to vent, if anyone cares to comment, without me creating an argument. I'd love to get feedback and thoughts.

I have followed direction. been riding in the freezing cold, put on a 1000 or 2. fell in love. debating on just keeping her and getting some soft bags. I cant get a tank bag on and I'm lost without my old river road tank bag. but I think that will be the case with all of them. though my helibars helped eliminate the space.

It may just be whichever I find first that I can pull off buying.

other than that - have a great mothers day.

PS - anyway to turn down the volume on these things. My commute is @ 45 miles each way. much is on the highway. I keep looking down and the bugger keeps going faster and faster when I'm not looking. Darndest thing.
    KES
    2012 Spyder RS SE5 - Pearl White
    Corbin, phoenix running boards,
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    BRP? side fairing defectors
    Twisted Throttle Air foil
    other forgotten doo dads
    Real crotchety old curmudgeon at the helm.

Spyder Garage

Decisions, decisions, decisions. There are proponents of all three on the site. To let it out of the bag, I like the RT version.

My recommendation, test drive an RT and a F3. They are different. One of them will speak to you if it is supposed to be.

Let us know what YOU find out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    I'm not sure where to put this so if I'm in error. go ahead and holler. And as always, thank you everyone for putting up with me.

So I've bonded with my new to me RS. Smitten with it and angry with myself for being afraid of the Spyder so many years. We've added the air foil, pulled Tupperware, poked around, and done and O&F change.

I must thank MR baharon for having the wherewithal to ask dumb ole me to measure. Seems I have the ultra high performance extended oil filter. From what I've read it, it is guaranteed to add 35 HP and 50 Ft lbs. Awesome

Some of you kind mentors also know I became smitten with the cognac and have a desire for luggage space and started down the path of searching for a 14 RT and putting my new baby on the for sale block.

Luggage drove this. though to my surprise my bike with my old motofizz luggage bag carried an absolute one of groceries home last week including ssquash , corn and a watermelon . and for job two I am able to get my computer bag and a coffee in the trunk and my deluth karls lunch box in the motofizz. So I'm surviving. who needs tools anyway. don't need first aid kits because I'm only weak to kryptonite. Don't need rain gear because the bike creates a protective bubble everywhere but at a stop sign. I'm golden.

So...I'm still hunting for the RT thinking maybe the seating position will also be a bit more relaxed for mr knee and Mr hip. My RS has bar backs, floor boards and a corbin but my legs still have to fold.

Then.... I start seeing adds for the F3. Well I don't know anything about these. So I start reading. hmmm seems I wouldn't have the luggage capacity , no heated seat, no heated grips, no natural weather protection, But...... sure looks like you can stretch out the ole man legs. not sure how mr spine would feel about it though.

So yes, Ive done some reading here but now that I've started to vent, if anyone cares to comment, without me creating an argument. I'd love to get feedback and thoughts.

I have followed direction. been riding in the freezing cold, put on a 1000 or 2. fell in love. debating on just keeping her and getting some soft bags. I cant get a tank bag on and I'm lost without my old river road tank bag. but I think that will be the case with all of them. though my helibars helped eliminate the space.

It may just be whichever I find first that I can pull off buying.

other than that - have a great mothers day.

PS - anyway to turn down the volume on these things. My commute is @ 45 miles each way. much is on the highway. I keep looking down and the bugger keeps going faster and faster when I'm not looking. Darndest thing.
    I currently have the F3T (16), and past rydes include the RS (10), and RT (12 & 14). I will say the RS holds a special spot for me since it was the first, but if I had to pick between the three it would be hard. I have not done any long distance on the F3 yet, but really like the ryding position on the legs. What I do like about the RT is the storage on it. I know F3T has the side cases, but the storage is a joke compared to the RT.

As for the ryde I would say the F3 is much closer to the RS than the RT if that is what you are looking for, or is it the RS to the F3? I really do like the 1330 much better then the 998, and agree if I was going to get a 14 I would get the cognac (love the color).

My solution will be a trailer for the storage on my F3, and heated hand grips could be added for my wife.

PS. you will find the same problem with all three models going faster if you don't watch them.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Thank you both. The comparison with personal opinion is exactly what I was hoping for. strengths, weaknesses, comparison.
    Yes, I'd love to ride each. Unfortunately with my local dealer that really isn't a viable or at least probable option.

Thank you.

As far as what I'm looking for. I suppose I'm not sure. I have the luggage issue in my brain all the time though I can find ways for the moment. I absolutely love my bike, but read allot of positives about the 1330. A big thinkg for me is that I'm in excruciating pain after 20 miles or so. interestingly I'm worried about my back as that's my big problem but its my rt knee and SI joint. I deal with it but it cramps up when it gets super bad and sometimes its difficult to get to the one and only brake BRP has allowed me. (not a cut, just a frustrating fact in my case).
    If I kept it I imagine some highway bars (if they exist) would let me relieve whatever isn't happy, but I don't want to pour funds I don't have into personalizing it if I'm going to yearn for that next something now that I'm hooked.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you both. The comparison with personal opinion is exactly what I was hoping for. strengths, weaknesses, comparison.
    Yes, I'd love to ride each. Unfortunately with my local dealer that really isn't a viable or at least probable option.

Thank you.

As far as what I'm looking for. I suppose I'm not sure. I have the luggage issue in my brain all the time though I can find ways for the moment. I absolutely love my bike, but read allot of positives about the 1330. A big thinkg for me is that I'm in excruciating pain after 20 miles or so. interestingly I'm worried about my back as that's my big problem but its my rt knee and SI joint. I deal with it but it cramps up when it gets super bad and sometimes its difficult to get to the one and only brake BRP has allowed me. (not a cut, just a frustrating fact in my case).
    If I kept it I imagine some highway bars (if they exist) would let me relieve whatever isn't happy, but I don't want to pour funds I don't have into personalizing it if I'm going to yearn for that next something now that I'm hooked.
    I had highway pegs on both my RS and RT. They did help with the leg cramps.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I had highway pegs on both my RS and RT. They did help with the leg cramps.
    Howdy;
    Do you by chance recall what they were and where you found them? I'd also inquire please, did you have to destroy or modify any of the Tupperware and did they require a second mortgage?

Signed;
    Biking without enough funds to even be on a budget.
    (you know you got bit when your car gets 20mpg more than your bike and you decide to take the bike to work at 0 dark hundred hours, at 38 degrees in the pouring rain). A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Spyder Garage

Default yikes

YIKES..... 35 ADDITIONAL HORSE POWER with the upgraded OIL FILTER...... WHERE DO I GET 1 OF THESE FOR MY F3....???????????????

KES,,,
    as for some of your other issues.... @ 70, most of my joints are shot... hips, knees, ankle, hands, neck, etc.... my 1st SPYD3R was a 2009 RS... of which i would stiff'n up after 50 miles... so i built floor bordz and pegs, and did 2 X-country rides without much trouble... after 50K miles, i sold her and bought my F3... nice OEM pegs, but no other place to rest my feet... so i've built a series of FLOOR BORDZ, and i'm now at Rev. F... kind'a fits with the F3.... as for luggage space, just about ZIP on the F3's, unless you go for the 'T' version, and even those have small capacity... i opted for soft bags, and only use them on long trips...
    the RT is by far the most comfortable of all the SPYD3RS, but the F3 is HANDS-DOWN the most fun to ride....
    here are a couple pix of some of my DIY Frakles...
    20170329_163838.jpgSPYD3R FLOOR BORDZ20170329_163846.jpg 20170415_123225.jpgSIDE BAG RESTRAINERS20170415_123333.jpg 20170415_134925.jpgBUCKET ORGANIZER....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kes,

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If you want to change your ride, you HAVE TO try it out. Only your own body can tell you what feels right. If you are really interested in a certain model, see if you can rent one for a day and put some time and miles on it. You will then know what feels best.

The huge difference on them is riding position. While you can do things like add highways pegs and stuff to an RT, the overall riding position it what it is.

Seats: This can have a big impact as well on how you feel. A backrest is a must in my opinion. Corbin seats are nice but they are hard, this may be a contributing factor to your discomfort as well.

Storage: This is the RT hands down, however, if storage is important for trips and you love the F3, you can always get a trailer. But the bike alone, nothing will give you what the RT does and I have to say the top bag on the F3 Limited is cheap crap. Sorry, it is what is is, Its flimsy cheap plastic and I feel like I would break it everytime. Maybe its more durable than it looks and feels, current owners can chime in on that. But even with the storage on the F3 Limited, nothing like the RT.

Also think the 1330 is a better engine, and much less maintenance although nothing wrong with the 998. The RT, while main riding position can't be changed, it can be made more F3'ish by customizing. Add foot pegs, new shocks, swaybar, etc and it will become much closer to the F3 in handling.

But you can't change the looks or overall position, only you can decide on that and how it factors in with the other stuff - but you have to ride them...
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Howdy;
    Do you by chance recall what they were and where you found them? I'd also inquire please, did you have to destroy or modify any of the Tupperware and did they require a second mortgage?

Signed;
    Biking without enough funds to even be on a budget.
    (you know you got bit when your car gets 20mpg more than your bike and you decide to take the bike to work at 0 dark hundred hours, at 38 degrees in the pouring rain). A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
    Sorry, but I do not remember when I got them. I believe they were straight bolt on though. As for the second mortgage, what doesn't on a Spyder?

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had two RTs and now my F3T. I'll never go back unless the RT suddenly becomes the only Spyder available after my F3T wears out. (Doubt that will happen!) Less storage, but heck of a lot more fun! I have a trailer for storage when traveling.

I say try both out.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    YIKES..... 35 ADDITIONAL HORSE POWER with the upgraded OIL FILTER...... WHERE DO I GET 1 OF THESE FOR MY F3....???????????????
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Ya.....about that. I Should have clarified. The fellow I got it from told me it is specific to the 2012 RS. I was going to include it in my listing but I didn't have the before dyno results to prove it, I didn't want to be accused for false advertising

Thank you for sharing that and the insight. I wish had a means to fabricate. Those all look pretty functional.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Spyder Garage

Mr Bob;

I feel I know you some already. you were so kind in welcoming me to the site and have acted as a mentor in my progress.
    Now that I've said that let me also include the fact that is you.....sir. That has started me down this path all due to that silly picture of an ORANGE spyder. It's got so darn much plastic on it, it reminded my of my GL1800 with an extra wheel glued on.

And here I was hoping you'd be jumping in with some sage words of wisdom for someone you pushed off the deep end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Kes,

KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    If you want to change your ride, you HAVE TO try it out. Only your own body can tell you what feels right. If you are really interested in a certain model, see if you can rent one for a day and put some time and miles on it. You will then know what feels best.

Seats: This can have a big impact a well on how you feel. A backrest is a must in my opinion. Corbin seats are nice but they are hard, this may be a contributing factor to your discomfort as well.

Also think the 1330 is a better engine, and much less maintenance although nothing wrong with the 998.

But you can't change the looks or overall position, only you can decide on that and how it factors in with the other stuff - but you have to ride them...
    I started to take that the wrong way I think but realize it wasn't meant as I first read it. yes. I do totally agree. It is, however, not an option I have or at least am aware of. As Far as rental. I'm not even aware of bike rentals around here with the possible exception of an HD down in the tourist areas of the Cape.

Seat. Agreed as well. I didn't choose a corbin, I inherited one. and though I don't have anything against it. I'd tend to concur re the padding. I will also add that I was in need of their tech support and it was terrible. I emailed them several times at their tech address and heard crickets. after three telephone calls, or more, I got nowhere with them. won't e on a future list for me.

looks. interesting. I find my RS ery attractive. I like the RT but find it has allot of plastic. F3 - thats' what got my attention was seeing an engine like an old fashion bike.

engine - thank you . for some reason reading here I am getting in this mental state where i tell myself I was in error getting a 998 so I could have a spyder. but they've been around awhile. maybe because i read where someone said they were discontinued. It gave me a negative connotation. granted I now know I'e got myself yearning for the mpg and the range. filling daily wheres thin when your working 14 hr days. But i was always a torque low RPM driver Though i love the Twins/ harley type feel and sound.

but mainly thank you. the opinions and thoughts of knowledgeable people are valuable to me - yup final decision should be based on riding. but when it isn't feasible, you have to find the best options possible, heck, for the moment it would be nice just to physcially see an F3 and RT in person and sit in the saddle. yes - i do agree. and I do thank you.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Sorry, but I do not remember when I got them. I believe they were straight bolt on though. As for the second mortgage, what doesn't on a Spyder?
    I do thank you for answering.
    I was diagnosed with CRS awhile ago. I just try to roll with it now. It can get to you. As soon as I fall asleep for the day. my flash drive clears its memory.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mr Bob;
    I feel I know you some already. you were so kind in welcoming me to the site and have acted as a mentor in my progress.
    Now that I've said that let me also include the fact that is you.....sir. That has started me down this path all due to that silly picture of an ORANGE spyder. It's got so darn much plastic on it, it reminded my of my GL1800 with an extra wheel glued on.

And here I was hoping you'd be jumping in with some sage words of wisdom for someone you pushed off the deep end.
    Thanks for the kind words...
    But never forget the saying:

Don-t-follow-me-I-m-lost-too.jpg

But is sure is a pretty color; ain't it?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-13-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is all about what fits you.

My hip hurt a little on the Rs and st, but not as much as my shoulders lol

for some odd reason I can't even sit on an rt for five minutes without hip locking up.

Took husbands f3 for a long rode one day - I had a feeling it would cost! He got a new one, I got his, and my hip, shoulders and everything else is happy.

Biggest hip pocket (no pun intended lol) difference is the u-fit system on the f3 range - so easy and not so expensive to tailor the bars/pegs to suit.

Spyder Garage

Default CRS

I do thank you for answering.
    I was diagnosed with CRS awhile ago. I just try to roll with it now. It can get to you. As soon as I fall asleep for the day. my flash drive clears its memory.
    i think i have CRS also, but i can't remember what it is, or where you can buy one.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The memory is the second thing to go...
    I forgot what the first one was!

Spyder Garage

If you wanted to keep your RS but would like more carrying capacity, I have available a set of Givi PL999 frames & a pair of Givi 40 litre monokey side cases. They really bump up your carrying capacity.

PM me if you are interested.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

KES,,,
    as for some of your other issues.... @ 70, most of my joints are shot... hips, knees, ankle, hands, neck, etc.... my 1st SPYD3R was a 2009 RS... of which i would stiff'n up after 50 miles... so i built floor bordz and pegs, and did 2 X-country rides without much trouble... after 50K miles, i sold her and bought my F3... nice OEM pegs, but no other place to rest my feet... so i've built a series of FLOOR BORDZ, and i'm now at Rev. F... kind'a fits with the F3.... as for luggage space, just about ZIP on the F3's, unless you go for the 'T' version, and even those have small capacity... i opted for soft bags, and only use them on long trips...
    the RT is by far the most comfortable of all the SPYD3RS, but the F3 is HANDS-DOWN the most fun to ride....
    here are a couple pix of some of my DIY Frakles...
    20170329_163838.jpgSPYD3R FLOOR BORDZ20170329_163846.jpg 20170415_123225.jpgSIDE BAG RESTRAINERS20170415_123333.jpg 20170415_134925.jpgBUCKET ORGANIZER....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Love your DIY Farkles ~ ~ Are you for hire?!!! It's people like you that make the rest of us feel woefully inadequate.......
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Default PRINCESS

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    Love your DIY Farkles ~ ~ Are you for hire?!!! It's people like you that make the rest of us feel woefully inadequate.......
    Princess;
    i don't mean to make anyone feel woefully inadequate.... that's just not me... i am proud of what i do, and like to share these things with others... I'm a retired tool design engineer, and doing things like this keeps my mine sharp, and out of my wifes way (if you know what i mean).... i find that building my own farkles is half the fun of owning one of these very special vehicles.... if you have any needs, PM me... i've built dozens of things per request of people on this website...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    It is all about what fits you.

for some odd reason I can't even sit on an rt for five minutes without hip locking up.
    Yes, Yes, Yes. my shoulders actually do hurt due to an injury but its the darn SI and knee. my hip has started popping when i get on and off but .... oh well.. yes.. I'm falling apart.

Thank you everyone. This is an amazing place. I'm getting PM's from such wonderfully nice folks. And yes everyone here is nice as well. I'm glad I posted today. i questioned doing so. hopefully i haven't bored folks too much.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Spyder Garage

Princess;
    i've built dozens of things per request of people on this website...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Dan; i can elaborate off line but if i do end up staying with the RS (it's certainly the most affordable) I have found if I periodically hold my brake leg out and agains that lower back trim piece i can relive the pain briefly and reset myself for a bit further. I just don't like hanging my leg in air nor being so far away from the brake. it seems a most proper place to have some form of foot rest. or maybe a gynormous floor baord that goes out and around with possibly a bit larger brake area so i dont have to turn my knee in so much to reach it.

Heck, if your playing in the shop, I'd love to create a hybrid spyder (I'm not comfortable with plug in only) I say it can be done and would be a hoot to ride.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Spyder Garage

Default PIX

Dan; i can elaborate off line but if i do end up staying with the RS (it's certainly the most affordable) I have found if I periodically hold my brake leg out and agains that lower back trim piece i can relive the pain briefly and reset myself for a bit further. I just don't like hanging my leg in air nor being so far away from the brake. it seems a most proper place to have some form of foot rest. or maybe a gynormous floor baord that goes out and around with possibly a bit larger brake area so i dont have to turn my knee in so much to reach it.

Heck, if your playing in the shop, I'd love to create a hybrid spyder (I'm not comfortable with plug in only) I say it can be done and would be a hoot to ride.
    Princess;
    here are some pix of things i made for my RS....
    SAM_0700 (1).jpg SAM_0761.jpg SAM_1011.jpg SAM_0493.jpg SAM_0494.jpg
    FLOOR BORDZ & PEGS worked out great... did 2 X-country rides with these, and don't think i could have without them.... TAIL RACK was a great help as well....
    Dan P