Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RT Sway Bar?

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmm

Love this thread!!
    We ride 2-up and the upgrade swaybar was an incredible improvement for comfort and safety..Love it.
    Most all of the farkles I have added are safety related.Notice I said most.

Odogg1963

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    How about this...

I will send a sway bar kit to you (or I can ship it to your dealer if you prefer). No charge.

If you like the bar and keep it, you pay for it. If you don't like it, I will pay the labor to put your stock bar back on and the return shipping. All you'll have into it is the labor to put it on if you decide to send it back.

But, I must warn you. You run the risk of becoming part of the Kool-Aid drinking, BajaRon conspiracy if you decide to take up my offer.
    Hello BajaRon. I thank you for the offer. I decline anything for free, trust me when I say its not a money thing, I only want at least "some" bang for my buck. I just arrived home from a ride with a buddy. He has a Harley Tri-glide. He noticed after we hit the twisties that my ryde does not lean. I maintained a very careful observation of my ryde as I cornered and could not detect any lean as well. I do not understand what a stiffer sway bar and metal joint links will do if I already have no lean. My thought.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Hello BajaRon. I thank you for the offer. I decline anything for free, trust me when I say its not a money thing, I only want at least "some" bang for my buck. I just arrived home from a ride with a buddy. He has a Harley Tri-glide. He noticed after we hit the twisties that my ryde does not lean. I maintained a very careful observation of my ryde as I cornered and could not detect any lean as well. I do not understand what a stiffer sway bar and metal joint links will do if I already have no lean. My thought.
    Not a problem. If you change your mind the offer still stands.

But you must realize it is a physical impossibility for your Spyder not to lean. The only way you can accomplish a 'No Lean' situation is to replace your front shocks with steel bars. The whole reason a Spyder has A-Arms and shocks is to allow your Spyder to lean.

Have a great riding season!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Buy or don't buy, but to accuse them of being in a giant BajaRon swaybar conspiracy is a bit much.

I never accused BajaRon of anything.[/QUOTE]

I wasnt saying you did. It sounded to me like you were saying everyone on this site was promoting Ron when all they were doing was giving their opinions. My bad if I was unclear about that.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

How about this...

I will send a sway bar kit to you (or I can ship it to your dealer if you prefer). No charge.

If you like the bar and keep it, you pay for it. If you don't like it, I will pay the labor to put your stock bar back on and the return shipping. All you'll have into it is the labor to put it on if you decide to send it back.

But, I must warn you. You run the risk of becoming part of the Kool-Aid drinking, BajaRon conspiracy if you decide to take up my offer.
    Ron, you were not the vendor I was referring to. I have only bought one item from you, and you provided excellent customer service. Now I gotta get ready to go to work. Peace everyone!

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    Ron, you were not the vendor I was referring to. I have only bought one item from you, and you provided excellent customer service. Now I gotta get ready to go to work. Peace everyone!
    I am good! And I hope everyone else is good as well! There is too much in life that is actually important to get all hot and bothered about whether or not to install a few feet of steel bar on your Spyder. I don't see why we can't all end the day friends. Even friends don't always agree. But friends should always agree to be friends!

Spyder Garage

I am good! And I hope everyone else is good as well! There is too much in life that is actually important to get all hot and bothered about whether or not to install a few feet of steel bar on your Spyder. I don't see why we can't all end the day friends. Even friends don't always agree. But friends should always agree to be friends!
    I think a verse or two of Kumbaya is in order. I cant sing so I will let someone else start. 😀

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I think a verse or two of Kumbaya is in order. I cant sing so I will let someone else start. 😀
    I get somewhat squishy this late at night I guess. I'll be mean again when I'm rested up!

Spyder Garage

I get somewhat squishy this late at night I guess. I'll be mean again when I'm rested up!
    Im always mean. Course I usually only sleep a couple of hours. Could that be the reason??
    Last edited by Bam Bam and Pebbles; 05-16-2017 at 03:52 AM.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Road-Kill, As Ron pointed out, these Spyders do in fact lean into turns. I also have a 2017 Tri-Glide and it leans as well but not as elegantly because of its crude suspension in comparison to my F3S Spyder. When someone is not experiencing lean, it might suggest that what you consider to be "twisties" aren't very twisty? I live in North Florida and our roads have some very nice sweepers but I would say that we don't have any really tight stuff like I find up in the mountains. I have taken my Tri-Glide up to the mountains including Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway and some other "twisty" roads and surprised two-wheelers on how smartly I could move that trike through the bends. However, I have yet to take my F3S up to those same mountains which is definitely in my plans.

One of the things about certain roads is that they can put less demands on the trike's suspension. Although I can ryde my Spyder in a spirited manner, I have yet to have the "Nanny" come on. I ryde fairly smoothly and that may be some of it but I have yet to experience the traction-control system overriding my inputs which might either suggest that I am not in twisty enough roads and/or are not pushing the Spyder closer to its limits? Just some random thoughts when you suggested that your Spyder was not leaning.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Long story short. I went to an MC rally yesterday and bumped into several Spyder owners who love the BajaRon sway bar on their F3s. I just got off the phone with Ron and ordered his sway bar. After I have it installed I will test ride it and post an honest review. My thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon Sway bar installed.

As I stated previously and after much thought I went to the dark side and ordered the BajaRon sway bar with metal links. My dealer installed everything and off to hit the twisties I went. I made both mental and written notes of both my speed and the force necessary to pull/push the handlebar. I really was wishing to hate the "upgraded" sway bar but I was not, Ron understood my hesitation. I noticed the force necessary to push/pull the handlebar has been considerably reduced. I also noticed a reduced lean from the body of my beast and is probably the reason she is more controllable and easier in turns. This increased controllability made me want to go faster but maintaining my speed made my beast even more fun.

FYI...I had 5,600 miles on the OEM bar and I only purchased my beast new this February. I did 300 miles at 15.5 PSI and 200 miles at 17 PSI in the front tires so I could write an experienced opinion, BajaRon suggests 18-20 PSI. The Bar/links delivered ran me $288.00 and my dealer charged me $110.00 to install. I would recommend the BajaRon sway bar/links to anyone wanting easier steering and a more controllable ryde. My thoughts.

My beast is a 2016 F3s SE6 Special

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As I stated previously and after much thought I went to the dark side and ordered the BajaRon sway bar with metal links. My dealer installed everything and off to hit the twisties I went. I made both mental and written notes of both my speed and the force necessary to pull/push the handlebar. I really was wishing to hate the "upgraded" sway bar but I was not, Ron understood my hesitation. I noticed the force necessary to push/pull the handlebar has been considerably reduced. I also noticed a reduced lean from the body of my beast and is probably the reason she is more controllable and easier in turns. This increased controllability made me want to go faster but maintaining my speed made my beast even more fun.

FYI...I had 5,600 miles on the OEM bar and I only purchased my beast new this February. I did 300 miles at 15.5 PSI and 200 miles at 17 PSI in the front tires so I could write an experienced opinion, BajaRon suggests 18-20 PSI. The Bar/links delivered ran me $288.00 and my dealer charged me $110.00 to install. I would recommend the BajaRon sway bar/links to anyone wanting easier steering and a more controllable ryde. My thoughts.

My beast is a 2016 F3s SE6 Special
    HOLY CRAP!
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 05-28-2017 at 06:18 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default This may sound silly

OK, guaranteed to sound silly. I recently (end of August) bought a used Spyder - 2011 RT Limited SE5. I do not feel much sway in the curves. The previous owner had installed quite a few safety and convenience add ons, and I wonder - how can I tell if the sway bar has been upgraded? What and where do I need to look?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up RT Sway Bar-------For Sale

RT anti-sway bar for your F3--------

With blocks and links ( but I'd get Ron's metal ones)

$50+ shipping.

PM if interested.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeytheb;1306001OK
    , guaranteed to sound silly. I recently (end of August) bought a used Spyder - 2011 RT Limited SE5. I do not feel much sway in the curves. The previous owner had installed quite a few safety and convenience add ons, and I wonder - how can I tell if the sway bar has been upgraded? What and where do I need to look?
    Not silly at all. A reasonable question.

Here is the easiest way to determine if you have a stock or aftermarket sway bar on an RT (will not work for any other model Spyder).

Using a 5/8" open end wrench, attempt to slide it over any straight portion of the sway bar. If it goes on over the bar it is stock. If it will not go on over the bar it is aftermarket.

Good Luck!

Ron (bajaron)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up F3 bar dia

Does anyone know the diameter of the STOCK F-3 anti-sway bar???? Stock RT bar IS 5/8".

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default size of stock F3-S sway bay

I measure 1.4 cm, which is a hair under 9/16"

Definitely smaller than the RT bar at 5/8"
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Sway bar input

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I can't speak to the F3, but I can speak for the 2010 and 2014 RT.
    The 2010 without the RonBar was a pig, wallowing all over the road. The RonBar was an essential upgrade. ESSENTIAL.
    In 2014 BRP seems to have figured out that they needed to upgrade the sway bar. Right out of the box, the handling of my 2014 RT was as good as the 2010 with the RonBar.
    Nevertheless, at the time, I was riding mostly two up and decided to upgrade to a 2014 RonBar. It was a noticeable improvement, but not nearly as essential as the 2010 upgrade.
    If I had continued to ride one up, I wouldn't have gotten the RonBar.
    Now I'm back to one up, the RonBar is nice, but not essential.
    I imagine the F3, experience may be similar.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and if I am, SOMEONE on this forum will be kind enough to let me know.
    I have recently traded in my F3 S (2015) for a 2016 F3 T. The S had a sway bar installed and laser alignment before I got it. That byke rode smooth as glass from day 1. My new byke is a joy, but adding a sway bar is on my list of upgrades. There is a noticeable wobbly sensation, especially on uneven surfaces. I’ll report back once I do the upgrade to see if it actually makes a difference, or whether it is the switch in models. Most of the folks we ride with install the RonBar on their Spyders.
    Pam Chamberlain

http://www.spyderrydersofeasttexas.com

Spyder Garage

Default sway bar

My first spyder was a 2013 STS and the front end would dive and then rebound when in the curves. Added a Ron swaybar which stopped that also much better in crosswind and around semi's. My next spyder was a 2014 RTS with a Ron swaybar already installed, rode the dragon several times with it and have 26000 miles so not a 500 ml. highway rider. I think the springs are too soft on these rides. The Elke factory tec. told me that Ron's swaybar takes all control from the factory suspension. so I kind of know what I'm talking about. I now have a F3T and I personally like the way it handles stock, don't think I need anything differently with my suspension. Not knocking Ron ,think he is one of the good guys on here. Too bad a couple of vendors on here are fear mongers and give them all a bad name. To each his own spend your money on what you want and no reason too fight about it
    Paul