Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RT Sway Bar?

Spyder Garage

Default RT Sway Bar?

I saw where someone put an RT sway bar on an F3 to reduce lateral pull. Does anyone know anything about how that works? TIA!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought about putting (replacing) one on my F3s but will probably not because its BS. I have no issues with my F3s so why pretend I'm improving on a non-issue. Total cost plus installation for a make-pretend improvement? Nope. People will comment on the vast improvement and in reality they are too embarrassed to say they threw away their cash. My thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't put the RT bar on your F3, buy the F3 bar from BajaRon along with the good links.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I thought about putting (replacing) one on my F3s but will probably not because its BS. I have no issues with my F3s so why pretend I'm improving on a non-issue. Total cost plus installation for a make-pretend improvement? Nope. People will comment on the vast improvement and in reality they are too embarrassed to say they threw away their cash. My thoughts.
    You make me feel bad that I come from NEPA. Yes the new sway bar improved my handling, how would you know without ever trying it?
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 05-13-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just to clarify your expertise please let the OP know how many miles you have ridden on your F3. I can't speak to the benefits of a BajaRon bar on an F3 but can definitely say that on an RT the improvement is huge and I can back that up with over 125,000 miles with the bar.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Just to clarify your expertise please let the OP know how many miles you have ridden on your F3. I can't speak to the benefits of a BajaRon bar on an F3 but can definitely say that on an RT the improvement is huge and I can back that up with over 125,000 miles with the bar.
    I have almost 5,000 miles and counting and I bought my beast this year.
    You say you have travelled 125,000 with the bar?
    How many miles without the bar?
    Do you work for or benefit from Can-Am sales/service/accessories?

Too many machines with aftermarket powertrain "improvements" ended up being a colossal waste of money.

It "might" have a slight noticeable improvement but is it worth the $$.$$$?

This is like another thread recently where BRP had to post on this forum to stop the usual culprits from disseminating their BS.
    I'll rely on the lab coat wearing engineers who designed the machine versus the unknown forum blogger. My thoughts

Spyder Garage

Too many machines with aftermarket powertrain "improvements" ended up being a colossal waste of money.

This is like another thread recently where BRP had to post on this forum to stop the usual culprits from disseminating their BS.
    I'll rely on the lab coat wearing engineers who designed the machine versus the unknown forum blogger. My thoughts
    You are an unknown forum blogger as well. Since a swaybar has nothing to do with the powertrain your opinion...
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You are an unknown forum blogger as well. Since a swaybar has nothing to do with the powertrain your opinion...
    Yes I am an unknown blogger but I am not trying to sell something or get someone to buy anything.
    Yes the swaybar does effect the powertrain/handling. Any deviation from the manufacturer specs alters something somewhere.
    If the Can-Am engineers wanted a fatter sway bar with metal fasteners they would have added them from day one.
    My ryde stays level while cornering and that's with the factory sway bar with plastic fasteners.
    I'll stick with BRP engineers over someone trying to make cash by selling fear any day. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

I can't speak to the F3, but I can speak for the 2010 and 2014 RT.
    The 2010 without the RonBar was a pig, wallowing all over the road. The RonBar was an essential upgrade. ESSENTIAL.
    In 2014 BRP seems to have figured out that they needed to upgrade the sway bar. Right out of the box, the handling of my 2014 RT was as good as the 2010 with the RonBar.
    Nevertheless, at the time, I was riding mostly two up and decided to upgrade to a 2014 RonBar. It was a noticeable improvement, but not nearly as essential as the 2010 upgrade.
    If I had continued to ride one up, I wouldn't have gotten the RonBar.
    Now I'm back to one up, the RonBar is nice, but not essential.
    I imagine the F3, experience may be similar.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and if I am, SOMEONE on this forum will be kind enough to let me know.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My experience with the RonBar is with two RT's and a RS, so take it this way. On the RS I installed the 10 RT shocks on it, but did not really notice that much difference. Could be my ryding style, or I did not have it that long before switching to the RT.

With the first RT (2012) I traveled about 4500 miles without, and then installed the the RonBar putting on about 7500 miles. It made a huge difference when I installed the RonBar, and I'm so glad I did it.

On the second RT (2014) it did not need one. Granted the 14 was a tester I rode for BRP, they might have upgraded it for the testing, but the suspension was good.

My point is that much of it has to do with your ryding style. I will say that ryding two-up the RonBar is an improvement, and if solo ryding the twisties it really helps. If I'm ryding solo just taking it easy I could do without the RonBar.

I have had my F3 for about a month now, and shamefully only about 500 miles. I will say my F3 needs the RonBar, and will be installed this weekend.

Of course with this said. Obviously for you the RonBar is a waste of money, but you do not need to be so hard on those that do like it.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default OPINIONS

we all have our own opinions....
    however, if you've never tried something, your opinion isn't very valid....
    i installed the RT sway bar on my F3, and i'm here to tell you, I LOVE IT.... now others who have done the same, may again have a different opinion than i, but i'm entitled to mine...
    BTW, in our group, there are now 5 F3's that have made this conversion, and everyone of us love it.... and a very SPECIAL THANK YOU to Doc Riverside for all his help...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For me? yes it was for the 2012 RT, and is for the F3.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

The RT can use the upgrade.
    The OEM RT sway bar, is an UPGRADE to the OEM F3 bar.
    I think Baja Ron stated that himself.
    If you have a "take off" RT bar, don't throw it away,
    I donated mine to a nice Spyder Lover in Hawaii, for his F3, for the price of postage.
    He is very pleased with the result.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bars

I added a RonBar antisway bar to my 2015 F3S and it made a significant difference in body roll in the twisties and general riding situations. It turns out that I used a friend's micrometer to measure the thickness of a stock RT bar with the RonBar and they are the same diameter but I don't know if they are equally stiff? I think that if I had found a used RT bar, I would have at least bought the BajaRon metal heim joints that are much stiffer than the stock factory plastic ones.

In terms of Road-Kill's opinion, I doubt that this individual has done any racing of machines. Those of us that do race different types of machines (motorcycles, go carts, autocross cars) can tell you with ease that the RT or RonBar make a very significant difference in body roll for the F3's. Road-Kill's own assertion that nameless people make claims that are unsubstantiated could easily be said of him.

I just had to order stiffer springs for my racing car's shock and am increasing the fronts to 600# and the rears to 300# from the typical stock springs of 400# and 250# because even though my car's lowest point sits 3" off the ground, the increased shock stiffness will translate into less body roll and thus decreased time in my autocross performance.
    BruntonStalker.jpg
    Here is the Stalker with Avon B11 compound slicks that I will be racing tomorrow on Mother's Day. Notice how sticky the rubber is on the slicks. The stupid tires are like magnets for rocks or any kind of debris because the compound is so soft and sticky. Makes for a lot of fun on the track. Unfortunately, I would be going around spinning in circles if I tried to race hard with my Summer street tires.
    Stalker on Slicks.jpg
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 05-13-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes I am an unknown blogger but I am not trying to sell something or get someone to buy anything.
    Yes the swaybar does effect the powertrain/handling. Any deviation from the manufacturer specs alters something somewhere.
    If the Can-Am engineers wanted a fatter sway bar with metal fasteners they would have added them from day one.
    My ryde stays level while cornering and that's with the factory sway bar with plastic fasteners.
    I'll stick with BRP engineers over someone trying to make cash by selling fear any day. My thoughts.
    Your hyperbole just goes up every post. No one is selling fear and I am not making any money. If you don't want a heavier sway bar don't put one on. Finally, no the swaybar has NOTHING to do with the powertrain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powertrain
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Just to add my two penneth to the debate I would strongly recommend the RT swaybar as a low cost F3 upgrade. Mine was free off a member on here while I was in Florida on holiday.

I find it does make a difference going round tight radius corners and roundabouts. Before I always felt the Spyder was leaning towards the outside of the corner a lot. The upgraded bar reduced this significantly. so if you feel the bike doing that too I think you'd find it worthwhile?

For clarity I fitted it with the existing plastic drop links. Didn't see the need to upgrade them as they are the same as fitted to the RT (with the RT bar) and that is heavier than the F3.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

lets end this with this.

Can-Am engineers understand that loss of control due to a manufacturers defect will result in mass-lawsuits. A control/powertrain device is not worth saving a few pennies on with any major manufacturer. If lab coat wearing engineers decided that the sway bar and linkage needed to be as they are then so be it. If Can-Am thought people might need a different "feel" they would offer different sway bars like they offer different shocks. I purchased my ryde with that in mind and will not alter anything performance related. No amount of your crying is going to change my mind. You do what you want but my farkle as listed in my profile enhance my comfort without altering the performance. I understand that there are those "amongst us" that are wolves using fake profiles to sell/push their wares on unsuspecting newbies. This will not work with me because I know the trade, I know people and I know how to read between the lines.

P.S. My last post on this topic. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Default Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Your Opinion

Road-Kill, Glad you are signing off on this thread. I don't see anybody "crying" nor do I see boogie men behind every bush trying to sell products. You certainly have the right to choose whatever farkels float your boat. However, impugning the intentions of your fellow Spyder lovers is just plain wrong IMHO. However, this is still a free country for the moment and you are entitled to whatever opinions you would like to hold and I will defend to the death your right to express them. Have fun with your Spyder and please disregard those of us that are trying to make a living secretively hawking goods and foisting shams on the unsuspecting . Dr. Bob, looking for a scam to latch onto in retirement since healthcare is sort of tanking and you don't even have to read between the lines to figure that one out
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 05-13-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't post often but on this one I have to, I came off a cruiser end of 15 and bought a F3 for health reasons, drove it 4 months and decided it was not for me was going to sell it, I found a used RT bar here and decided to give it a try, so after four months of squeezing my knees and counter leaning in the corners I put the bar on and what a difference I knew it was a keeper after the first ride, now if you don't drive over 40 mph drive all straightaways I suppose the stock bar is just fine.
    So to the OP try it you love it, to the Nay Sayer I don't see how you can post an opinion on something you have never tried and tell someone it"s a waist of money, if you tried one and didn't see a difference you must be driving your F3 like it's an electric wheelchair to the corner store and back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JulieMarie View Post
    I saw where someone put an RT sway bar on an F3 to reduce lateral pull. Does anyone know anything about how that works? TIA!
    Sorry that got side tracked, yes the RT bar works. We put the Bajaron F3 bar on for that little extra.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ran my '14 RTL 9000 miles without BajaRon's swaybar, then over 9000 miles with it. When I installed the swaybar, I also installed Ron's shock adjusters to get the front end off the ground. I can say that the difference before and after the swaybar change was night and day. My Spyder was much more stable in the crosswind and the curves. Although I am glad I rode both ways to really tell the difference, I wish I hadn't waited a year to make the change. If one does not ride aggressive or push their Spyder to the limit, the stock bar should be fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have about 65,000 miles without a bar and the aforementioned 125,000 with. The "lab coat wearing engineers" design for the average rider and for the lowest cost. If you had one of them ride with the stiffer bars I'm sure they'd like it better than stock.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

lets end this with this.

Can-Am engineers understand that loss of control due to a manufacturers defect will result in mass-lawsuits. A control/powertrain device is not worth saving a few pennies on with any major manufacturer. If lab coat wearing engineers decided that the sway bar and linkage needed to be as they are then so be it. If Can-Am thought people might need a different "feel" they would offer different sway bars like they offer different shocks. I purchased my ryde with that in mind and will not alter anything performance related. No amount of your crying is going to change my mind. You do what you want but my farkle as listed in my profile enhance my comfort without altering the performance. I understand that there are those "amongst us" that are wolves using fake profiles to sell/push their wares on unsuspecting newbies. This will not work with me because I know the trade, I know people and I know how to read between the lines.

P.S. My last post on this topic. My thoughts.
    Geeze, you are a noob! Before you go pontificating your ideas on how BRP does business, you need to look at the history of the Spyder.

'08 and '09 had recalls for bad DPSs. Your Spyder would decide to dart right or left, sometimes into oncoming traffic with no input from you. Also those lab coat guys decided to to put the purge valve drain tube above the exhaust pipe. Yeah, gas was dripping on a very hot surface. A couple Spyders burned. It took a very ugly campaign on Spyderlovers for BRP to acknowledge things needed to be fixed.

Talking about fires, let's not forget the '13 ST and RT. It's more recent history so use the search function and look at the pictures. I believe it took a LEO Spyder burning to the ground before they started taking the heat problem seriously. They finally put out a good fix for keeping the engine cool.

In the last couple years BRP has gotten their act together and are coming out with some great Spyders with not as big a problems and they're quicker to acknowledge said problems and fix them.

The reason there are aftermarket businesses is because people saw a problem and made something to fix it. Take for example the plastic heim joints designed by lab coats guys. If you are a experienced/technical rider, they can break. No fun sitting by the side of the road.

BahaRon came up with metal heim joints that are more robust. Haven't heard of one of his breaking. Maybe he didn't like how the Spyder wallowed in the curves and came up with a better sway bar. Maybe SpyderPops didn't like the heat on his feet and came up with a heat management system. Other vendors saw different problems and some are into cosmetic customizing so you can find it in a parking lot full of Spyders. Nothing wrong with that.

If the Spyder, off the showroom floor was perfect, there would be no aftermarket vendors.

Just some cud to chew on...

Glad people are using RT sway bars on the F3. I got a BahaRon one and it makes a big difference in taking the twisties!
    Last edited by Yazz; 05-13-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: 'Cuz I can...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Geeze, you are a noob! Before you go pontificating your ideas on how BRP does business, you need to look at the history of the Spyder.

'08 and '09 had recalls for bad DPSs. Your Spyder would decide to dart right or left, sometimes into oncoming traffic with no input from you. Also those lab coat guys decided to to put the purge valve drain tube above the exhaust pipe. Yeah, gas was dripping on a very hot surface. A couple Spyders burned. It took a very ugly campaign on Spyderlovers for BRP to acknowledge things needed to be fixed.

Talking about fires, let's not forget the '13 ST and RT. It's more recent history so use the search function and look at the pictures. I believe it took a LEO Spyder burning to the ground before they started taking the heat problem seriously. They finally put out a good fix for keeping the engine cool.

In the last couple years BRP has gotten their act together and are coming out with some great Spyders with not as big a problems and they're quicker to acknowledge said problems and fix them.

The reason there are aftermarket businesses is because people saw a problem and made something to fix it. Take for example the plastic heim joints designed by lab coats guys. If you are a experienced/technical rider, they can break. No fun sitting by the side of the road.

BahaRon came up with metal heim joints that are more robust. Haven't heard of one of his breaking. Maybe he didn't like how the Spyder wallowed in the curves and came up with a better sway bar. Maybe SpyderPops didn't like the heat on his feet and came up with a heat management system. Other vendors saw different problems and some are into cosmetic customizing so you can find it in a parking lot full of Spyders. Nothing wrong with that.

If the Spyder, off the showroom floor was perfect, there would be no aftermarket vendors.

Just some cud to chew on...

Glad people are using RT sway bars on the F3. I got a BahaRon one and it makes a big difference in taking the twisties!
    Right on Joy!!
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622