Thread: Fuse Question

New Orleans Westbank - Belle Chasse, La 70037
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuse Question

My 7.5A fuse to the charger pigtail plug went out. Now to maintain the charge on my F3 battery overnight I need another fuse. I have a 5A and a 10A car fuse that will work in the charger socket but I need some help with this as I am a true nerd when it comes to electronics. Which one can I use or neither? Thanks

20170329_123129.jpg20170329_123146.jpgp.s. Background might help. The Audio unit was on this bike when I bought it. The BRP shop guy at Powersports told me it will drain the battery even though it's not on so he installed this fused pigtail to keep the battery charged thru the week cause I usually don't ride it till the week end comes. Make sense?

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What kind of a charger do you have & what is it's capacity?
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If it is a battery tender then the output is likely in the 750 milliamp range. So your 5amp fuse is roughly 6.6 times the current in use.

Use the 5amp.

The fuse is there just in case there is a direct short to ground which will pretty much blow the 5 and 7.5 amp fuses right away anyway.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Secondly... Why is the audio system hooked up so that it has a parasitic draw? To maintain programming?

If not to maintain programming then it is hooked up wrong or as I like to say... The lazy way.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I have a 5amp charger and use a 7.5

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
    My 7.5A fuse to the charger pigtail plug went out. Now to maintain the charge on my F3 battery overnight I need another fuse. I have a 5A and a 10A car fuse that will work in the charger socket but I need some help with this as I am a true nerd when it comes to electronics. Which one can I use or neither? Thanks

20170329_123129.jpg20170329_123146.jpgp.s. Background might help. The Audio unit was on this bike when I bought it. The BRP shop guy at Powersports told me it will drain the battery even though it's not on so he installed this fused pigtail to keep the battery charged thru the week cause I usually don't ride it till the week end comes. Make sense?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Drain

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post

I can see from the Pics it's not an OEM radio ...... If it's a Shark ..... even if powered direct from Battery ( on a fused wire ) It has a Shut off switch - that completely turns the unit off ( unlike the BRP - OEM units )..... and the fused pigtail won't do a d*amn thing for your Battery unless you attach a Battery MAINTAINER and plug in it to a wall outlet !!!!!! ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Fuse size

NEVER go up in amperage to replace a fuse. In an emergency, use the next smallest amperage until you can replace it with a correct one. Fuses are cheap, get several as spares. I recently blew the same one while working on the bike and had to replace it. Advice for others, leave enough slack between the fuse holder and the accessory receptacle to access it from the service panel. I didn't and have to pull the wiring out to replace the fuse, it's a nose bleed to fish the wiring back up past the steering column.

Spyder Garage

Default Easy Fix but no radio or cell ph. charger

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you guys. My problem was my own fault for installing a cell ph. holder & USB charger inadequately. After disconnecting the cell ph. charger which was wired directly to the battery and after several weak starts with separate car battery the bike finally kicked in and started. I was very relieved that it wasn't something more serious. Also, even though the ($15) cheap-o "ILmotor" cell ph. holder/charger had a cut off switch it still drained the battery big time. The radio/stereo drained a little but the Walmart Mighty Max 1a charger did ok to keep the battery charged. As soon as I installed the ILM cell ph. charger I noticed right away a noticeable weakness overnight in the battery charge but I took it for a long ride and didn't notice it again the next day. It was after several days of not riding that it went dead and thus began this whole senerio. I disconnected both radio box and cell ph. charger and the bike battery has held its charge all this time. I'd like to hook the radio/stereo back up but I don't want to take any chances when I'm on long trips. Anyone have a solution?

Spyder Garage

Belle Chasse, I used to love to drive down and see the old mansion,but was so sad to see it rotting away. Was it ever restored or did it finally die?
    If I were doing your radio I would find a wire that is only hot when your key is on, run a tap off of that to a relay and then wire your radio to that. You will need a power wire directly from the battery. So the power wire from the battery goes to the relay switch. Your switched wire goes to the relay. When you turn the bike on then it switches the relay which then turns on your radio. So if you leave your radio on there is no parasitic draw. Good luck.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for that although I'll need an electronic dictionary to understand it all.