Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RS-S SE5 1,400 miles = oil leak ALREADY

Every time I come back from a ride I have a small spot of oil under my 2012 RS-S SE5 Spyder (1,400 miles) about the size of 3 quarters in a row. I have had the panels off multiple times not finding the source until this past weekend.

I found the oil to be coming from the water pump weep hole. So I'm sure the water pump oil seal is bad already

I'm wondering if anyone out there has done this repair themselves???

If so...

1.) How long did it take
    2.) Do you need any special tools
    3.) Did it work out (I see this as a problem with these Spyder's, sometimes a recurring problem)

Any thoughts on this would be great.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    Every time I come back from a ride I have a small spot of oil under my 2012 RS-S SE5 Spyder (1,400 miles) about the size of 3 quarters in a row. I have had the panels off multiple times not finding the source until this past weekend.

I found the oil to be coming from the water pump weep hole. So I'm sure the water pump oil seal is bad already

I'm wondering if anyone out there has done this repair themselves???

If so...

1.) How long did it take
    2.) Do you need any special tools
    3.) Did it work out (I see this as a problem with these Spyder's, sometimes a recurring problem)

Any thoughts on this would be great.
    You have a 5 year old machine with 1,400 miles on it. That means it has been ridden only 280 miles a year or just over 23 miles a month. Less than 1 mile a day! That is a great deal of sitting. This much sitting can actually be harder on a vehicle than driving it. I would say that this is at least part of the reason it has failed.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-11-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You have a 5 year old machine with 1,400 miles on it. That means it has been ridden only 280 miles a year or just over 23 miles a month. Less than 1 mile a day! That is a great deal of sitting. This much sitting can actually be harder on a vehicle than driving it. I would say that this is at least part of the reason it has failed.
    Sitting for long periods of time get harder on me as I get older too!! I have a 2007 envoy with over 3000,000 miles, when it was being driven every day it was bullet proof, now it sets for months at a time and has a problem every time I use it. Loaned it to by son in law last winter, drove it all winter long without a problem after I repaired the tranny fluid leak it had when I prepped it to give it to him. Sitting kills equipment.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 05-11-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

This is similar to the repair you are looking at doing.
    Good luck. Don't let a dealer tell you the parts will take weeks to get. They are readily available online.

Last edited by Crisis; 05-11-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Not really what I need too know

For the 1st 2 responses thanks for the info on sitting = not good. I get that to a point. I am a mechanic and own a dealership in another industry so I am fully aware of problems from little use.

I recently purchased this Spyder so the sitting not being used is not my doing. Besides I'm not asking for what caused it, I'm wondering more of the 3 questions I have in doing the repair. I found multiple people on forums with similar problems with this shaft and related seals, so my opinion is its a flaw in design. My dealer also stated that they do a lot of these water pump / oil seal replacements on Spyder's with this engine.

As far as the youtube video thats a Can-Am ATV totally different. I found that video already, but does not really pertain to the task at hand on the Spyder. I do appreciate the effort for the link.

Thanks so far.