Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3T rear air shock

When adding air to the shock, is it best to use a hand pump of some kind or can one just use regular air line and give it a quick shot of air til you reach that proper pressure? At 200 lbs, what is recommended pressure and if adding a passenger about how much more to add?
    Buckskin
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I used a hand pump and it worked fine. I weigh 230 and ride solo. I put in 40.

Spyder Garage

We use the same hose we fill the tires with from the compressor. 40 or so one up. 50 or so 2 up is a good starting point. They lose air over time as well. Have to refill every couple weeks.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We use the same hose we fill the tires with from the compressor. 40 or so one up. 50 or so 2 up is a good starting point. They lose air over time as well. Have to refill every couple weeks.
    I read somewhere that you shouldn't use a tire air hose, JC.... so that's a furphy as long as you use common sense to avoid any over inflate?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Air hose and just a real quick shot ads about 8 to 10 lbs. I usually keep it at around 42 to 45. 2 up all the time and never bottom out. I am just under 200 and the wife is well, lets just say a bit less than me.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I use the air pump from LaMonster and it works great! I run it up to 60psi and by the time I get it off I'm at 55psi!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We keep 40 psi in our F3L, I use a progressive suspension hand pump. Just to note it's not an air shock. There is a shock and a separate air bag.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I use my slime air compressor from the trunk and hit it for a second or two and just add 12-15 pounds for my 210 pound body and its fine.

There was a bulletin that states they do lose air as they sit for a few days so don't think its broke?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Use a portable air tank...

I usually use the portable air tank. Doesn't take much volume and no danger of over pressuring if you start with 50 to 60 psi in the tank. Worked well on the RT's and F3 air bags, and lowered the tank pressure for the 15-20 psi in the Harley air shock. Also works well to balance the front tire air pressures by starting at 20-22 psi in the air tank and go back and forth a couple of times to balance the tire pressure within 0.5 psi as advised by BRP.
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 05-08-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Ok stupid question, do all F3T have a rear air shock? And if so where is the input value for it?

Thanks,

jt

Spyder Garage

Default Valve is under the seat-- twist key towards TOOL Icon

The air valve is under the seat--as well as the tool kit. Twist the key towards the wrench Icon and pull up on the back of the seat to raise and then slip the seat out towards the rear.
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 05-19-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    The air valve is under the seat--as well as the tool kit. Twist the key towards the wrench Icon and pull up on the back of the seat to raise and then slip the seat out towards the rear.
    Ok thanks, I've seen the toolkit under there but never noticed an air valve.

jt
    Last edited by jtrobaugh; 05-19-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtrobaugh View Post
    Ok stupid question, do all F3T have a rear air shock? And if so where is the input value for it?

Thanks,

jt
    None of the F3T's (or any Spyder for that matter) comes with an air shock.
    It's a regular shock with an air 'pillow' device.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    None of the F3T's (or any Spyder for that matter) comes with an air shock.
    It's a regular shock with an air 'pillow' device.
    Gotcha, I understand....I just never knew it existed, but now I do see the valve. Guess I'll be checking my pressure when I get home today. I haven't had any complaints about the ride so I'm guessing its all good

jt
    Last edited by jtrobaugh; 05-19-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtrobaugh View Post
    Gotcha, I understand....I just never knew it existed, but now I do see the valve. Guess I'll be checking my pressure when I get home today. I haven't had any complaints about the ride so I'm guessing its all good

jt

If you have never checked it, I am betting its empty. I have lost count of how many have come into my shop like that. Dealers do not fill them at initial set up and many customers do not read the owners manual. Its actually on my check list for alignments now.

If it is empty, adding the correct air pressure will make for a much better ride.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my 2015 RT SE6 I only went with the base model So no on board compressor only manual adjustment via the valve under the seat
    To avoid over inflating it I use a Fox high pressure hand pump

http://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-Shox-Hi...ure-Shock-Pump
    It's also available via e bay, Amazon etc
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If you have never checked it, I am betting its empty. I have lost count of how many have come into my shop like that. Dealers do not fill them at initial set up and many customers do not read the owners manual. Its actually on my check list for alignments now.

If it is empty, adding the correct air pressure will make for a much better ride.
    You wonder how many "dealers" don't read the owners manual either, JC. Before I picked my F3-L up, I asked the salesman to set the rear for a 300lb rider. When I sat on it at pickup, I "bottomed out" (so to speak). The sales guy got his air gauge out and there was zero air in the rear, even though his setup notes to the workshop showed my 300lb request. Lucky I checked on here first or I would have had a very unimpressive 3 hour trip home.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    When adding air to the shock, is it best to use a hand pump of some kind or can one just use regular air line and give it a quick shot of air til you reach that proper pressure? At 200 lbs, what is recommended pressure and if adding a passenger about how much more to add?
    Buckskin
    Page 51 of the 2016 F3T/Ltd operator's manual shows the suspension pressure label, under your seat, that you should follow when setting the pressure you desire for your ride, with or without passenger and cargo.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone, yep it was 0 psi when I checked it this weekend. I filled it to the correct amount and took a awesome 285 mile ride through the North Georgia and North Carolina mountains this Saturday. I could feel the difference for sure.

jt

Spyder Garage

Default F3T rear air shock

I recently put a FOBO sensor on my rear shock on the F3T. Set it at 42 psi. Riding two up today I found the pressure zoomed up to 59 psi and set off the alarm for too high a pressure as I had set the baseline to 40 psi. Surprising the action in the air shock is working up and down to the extent that it actually heats up the air thus the pressure goes up. Will have to play with that a little to find an optimum setting.
    Buckskin
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Adding the load also contributes to the pressure rise. Compression of the air is what creates the air spring. So yes, with two up riding the pressure will rise more than with 1 up. The pressure move around a lot due to road undulations as well.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Requested the Dealer check pressure - and the response was?

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    You wonder how many "dealers" don't read the owners manual either, JC. Before I picked my F3-L up, I asked the salesman to set the rear for a 300lb rider. When I sat on it at pickup, I "bottomed out" (so to speak). The sales guy got his air gauge out and there was zero air in the rear, even though his setup notes to the workshop showed my 300lb request. Lucky I checked on here first or I would have had a very unimpressive 3 hour trip home.

Pete
    Dropped off my 2016 F3T in Mobile, Al. for a BUDDS update following rear top case install.
    While I am there I ask my service folks to show me where the fill valve is for the shock/airbag/whatever on my F3T and they look stunned like two deer in headlights
    I describe the basics in the owners manual and their eyes only get bigger

I ask them to figure it out and show me 5/30/17 at the end of day when I pick my Spyder up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    I recently put a FOBO sensor on my rear shock on the F3T. Set it at 42 psi. Riding two up today I found the pressure zoomed up to 59 psi and set off the alarm for too high a pressure as I had set the baseline to 40 psi. Surprising the action in the air shock is working up and down to the extent that it actually heats up the air thus the pressure goes up. Will have to play with that a little to find an optimum setting.
    Buckskin
    I think heat from the engine plays a bigger role in the pressure increase.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I believe you might have something there. The alarm would go off and then in a little bit the pressure would drop a few points. I may adjust my pressure to be about 32 psi and see how it rises maybe to 40-45 psi. I did make a change on the FOBO sensor on the Schrader valve. Note below the pictures. Added a screw on T-valve and it fits fine under the passenger seat. Anyone using FOBO sensor knows that in removing/reinstalling it that you lose a little air unless you screw it on real quick. This T-valve allows you to just add air and look at your phone.
    BuckskinIMG_0407.jpgIMG_0406.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    I think heat from the engine plays a bigger role in the pressure increase.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I added a pressure gauge under the seat after having to remove the air bag to fix a leak. After that I started noticing the pressure increase when I would stop to fuel up. It sure is easier to add air with the gauge or FOBO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s