Spyder Garage

Default Battery maintainer

This is at Lowe's in the hardware department.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

It appears to be a rip-off brand. "Battery ex-Tender" as opposed to the most used brand "Battery Tender" or "Battery Tender Jr." If its made in China maybe better to spend the extra $6.00 and get the real thing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I don't know, maybe when there is 20 plus years of history and millions of satisfied customers to back it up.
    Until then , will probably stick with my Deltran Battery Tenders. Tractor, mower, UTV, Spyder... never a doubt
    how these will work.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Looks nice you could give it a try and then review it for the folks and build it a rep....did not see if they had any reviews....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ratings on Amazon pretty good, 65% of the people gave it 5 stars, 4 stars overall, thats with 26 reviews. Price there is little over $36.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought this one from Lowes over the winter, <$20. It has a float mode as well. Works fine on our Spyder. Most battery maintainers are all made in China regardless of the brand anyway. My battery doesn't care where it gets its electrons. I also have Deltran Battery Tenders in the shop - they all work the same. The only one that crapped out on me was a Craftsman from Sears.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It appears to be a rip-off brand. "Battery ex-Tender" as opposed to the most used brand "Battery Tender" or "Battery Tender Jr." If its made in China maybe better to spend the extra $6.00 and get the real thing.
    I'll bet that battery tender is also made in China show me any electronics that aren't
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Battery "Extender"

I've had one of these for eight or nine years. Still working fine!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I'll bet that battery tender is also made in China show me any electronics that aren't
    I will take a look at my Battery Tender Jr's the next time. Just trying to point out that some may have bought the Battery ex-Tender thinking it was the real thing. Usually, knock offs are branded very close to what they are copying.

A blast from the past: When I was in the leather business, we sold handbags. For a time, Latigo was the in thing. Beautiful oil tanned leather, black, brown, tan. The K-Mart stores sold knock offs. They called them LatisGlo. They were genuine vinyl and not very good at that. Not the leather that people thought they were getting for half the price.

Caveat Emptor--
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-08-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
    This is at Lowe's in the hardware department.
    Yes.....so......what's your point?
    Reasonable at the reduced price but overpriced at the regular price listed......for a 1 amp unit.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Schumaucher is an old time name in chargers.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    It has a float mode as well. Works fine on our Spyder.
    Float mode is not maintainer mode. Float can kill your battery from overcharging since it is a constant, albeit very small, charge current. Maintainer mode cycles the charge current as needed to keep the battery at full charge.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Float mode is not maintainer mode. Float can kill your battery from overcharging since it is a constant, albeit very small, charge current. Maintainer mode cycles the charge current as needed to keep the battery at full charge.
    I have an Odyssey PC680 battery, and their Ultimizer to go with it. They have a 3 step charge profile, and I haven't had a problem in the 5 years I've had the battery, and notice the last phase:

• Bulk Phase – Fast charges the battery up to 14.7V and gets the battery to about 80% state of charge
    • Absorption Phase – Finishes off the charge in no more than an additional 4 to 6 hours after completion of bulk charge
    • Float Charge – Continuous trickle charge will keep the battery topped off and ready to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Totally, absolutely, 100% wrong.

A float voltage set at the proper point is no better or worse than a voltage that turns on and off.

As a matter of fact, most battery maintainers use the float method and do not turn on and off.

Now.....anything labeled as a "trickle charger" can indeed cause damage over long periods due to overcharging and gassing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Totally, absolutely, 100% wrong.

A float voltage set at the proper point is no better or worse than a voltage that turns on and off.

As a matter of fact, most battery maintainers use the float method and do not turn on and off.

Now.....anything labeled as a "trickle charger" can indeed cause damage over long periods due to overcharging and gassing.
    And you are totally, absolutely, 100% correct. I don't why I was thinking 'float' was the same as 'trickle'. I'll blame it on age!

The unit in the OP is a maintainer from Schumacher. A look at their website shows that Schumacher has quite a variety of chargers, charger/maintainers, and maintainers. I would have no reluctance to buy and use one. But considering the one that asp125 refers to, the one in the OP is not a bargain.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And you are totally, absolutely, 100% correct.
    It is nice to post a correction and not have it turn into a flame fest.
    Thank you.

Note: I've been an Electronics Engineering Technician for about 50 years now so I've got most of this electricity stuff down.
    Mistakes do happen though; age is a good excuse.

Spyder Garage

Schumaucher is an old time name in chargers.
    Yes it is. Perhaps this is an exception to the "usual."

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It is a Schumacher brand, not a knock off.
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

I have this same unit as you, the one pictured is also a Schumacher brand at a reduced price. The price label says Schumacher brand.

MG]https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/026666/026666709705_07926070.jpg[/IMG]
    I bought this one from Lowes over the winter, <$20. It has a float mode as well. Works fine on our Spyder. Most battery maintainers are all made in China regardless of the brand anyway. My battery doesn't care where it gets its electrons. I also have Deltran Battery Tenders in the shop - they all work the same. The only one that crapped out on me was a Craftsman from Sears.[/QUOTE]
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

I've used Deltran in the past, and they are excellent, but they are not for all batteries. I have an Odyssey battery, and I called Deltran, and talked to one of their technical people about the specs on the Odyssey/Ultimizer, and they agreed that the Ultimizer was the way to go.

New Orleans Westbank - Belle Chasse, La 70037
    Spyder Garage

Default Help this novice decide on the right type of battery charger

I've been reading all this stuff about battery chargers and I'm more confused now than I was when I started. I have a 1.5 amp Schumacher SpeedCharge Battery Maintainer and Charger I got from Walmart for $25 +/-. I havn't used it yet cause I'm scared I'm gonna burn something up or waste my money. Can anyone tell me if this thing is good to use? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
    I've been reading all this stuff about battery chargers and I'm more confused now than I was when I started. I have a 1.5 amp Schumacher SpeedCharge Battery Maintainer and Charger I got from Walmart for $25 +/-. I havn't used it yet cause I'm scared I'm gonna burn something up or waste my money. Can anyone tell me if this thing is good to use? Thanks
    I would trust Schumacher. Read the user manual. If it warns against leaving it connected, take it back. If it specifically says it's a maintainer, use it.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybarton View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this thing is good to use? Thanks
    Yes it is fine. Perfect in fact.

Regardless of the subject matter, every Internet forum that exists has a few participants who think they know more than the engineers and who are obsessive/compulsive about making sure everybody knows it.