Spyder Garage

Default Installing Comfort Seat and backrest

My wife got her 2014 Spyder RT a couple of weeks ago and she wanted the comfort seat and backrest.
    We found through the Costco Auto Program that we could get a 15% discount on parts at our local participating dealer so we used that.

I had watched the video on installing a seat from Ultimate seats so I was aware of what I needed to do.

When we got the seat and started working on the bike, I started to remove the passenger backrest.
    My wife said the instructions didn't say to remove that. I told her I had watched a video on how to do this, but I took a look at the instructions, and sure enough they do not say to remove the passenger backrest, but to reach under the seat and remove the bolts that way, so I tried that.
    It doesn't work!
    So I finished working on the passenger backrest to get that off.

After we got the seat off, we placed it upside down on a sheet next to the new seat and started transferring parts like the instructions said.

When we took the tool pouch off, we realized Can Am forgot to mold two of the clips that hold the Velcro straps on, that hold the tools on.
    What were they thinking? ..... Or maybe they weren't. So now the tools have to go somewhere else.

We finally got the seat on, and installed the backrest. I would recommend if you do both at the same time, to install the backrest support plate on the bottom of the seat before you put it on the bike. There is enough room to do it with the seat on, but it would have been better to have done it since we had the seat off.

The bike looks really nice and my wife likes how the seat sets her back, she thinks she may not even need highway pegs now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboyron View Post
    When we took the tool pouch off, we realized Can Am forgot to mold two of the clips that hold the Velcro straps on, that hold the tools on.
    What were they thinking? ..... Or maybe they weren't. So now the tools have to go somewhere else.
    The bike looks really nice and my wife likes how the seat sets her back, she thinks she may not even need highway pegs now.
    on the successful conclusion to the installation!
    Can you get us a picture of the area where to tool pouch mounting clips should be?
    I sort of doubt that they forget them; perhaps there's another option for getting things tied down.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If your seat is the same as mine, the 2 inboard clips are moulded on, the 2 outboard clips are press fitted under a pair of moulded lugs for each of the 2 clips/straps - did you check your previous seat to see if you could use anything from that to let you fit the tool bag in the 'right' spot?

Spyder Garage

Well, it looked like the clips were molded on the seat and we didn't look to see if they came off.

We took the stock seat, wrapped it up in the plastic the new seat came in, put it in the box and taped the box all up for storage.

One day I guess we will have to open it and give it a thorough inspection.

Here is a picture of our Comfort seat.

Do you have a picture of a stock seat we can compare?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

The tool pouch on my 16 RTs is in the trunk, tucked under the passenger backrest area. It's even velcroed down
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Your Comfort Seat pan is distinctly diffferent from mine in that mine has two molded tangs toward the centerline of the pan into which a rectangular loop on each velcro strap hooks. Your seat pan is solid where the tangs "used to be." I guess that's a minor change between model year Comfort Seat pans. The good side of the issue is if you need the tool kit it will be easier to get to and replace than if strapped under the seat.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see no reason why you couldn't locate your retention straps with a pop-rivet on one end and just feed them through the loops that are in place...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I like the goofy little "bottom cavity" in the trunk, to store my upgraded tool kit. (It's not like it's ever needed right?)
    and I just use the strappy things as an improvised D ring extender on my helmet in case the oddly unusable helmet hooks are needed.
    Which fortunately aren't needed too often.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)