Spyder Garage

Default in reverse wheel squeal

Bought my 2008 SE5 GS new in Spring 2009. since owning it, when backing up, rolling down inclined driveway, there is a banshee like squeal. I frequently hose down the wheels/brakes with Simple Green and with Spray Brake dust remover...no help. I've asked service mgrs at 5 difference dealers and get the same response "that's common with Spyders". Has 26,000 miles and brake pads are ok. doesn't squeal when braking going forward
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

It's the brakes.
    You know, sometimes when the brakes squeal in normal operation, a simple fix is to bevel the leading edge.
    In reverse, the trailing edge of the brakes becomes the leading edge.
    I wonder if beveling the trailing edge might help ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Reverse Squeel!

I've been told by others on here that it is coming from the Parking brake. Two different dealers both said the same thing. One dealer said that he would change both rear pads and the rotor, But, He Would Not Guarantee the New Parts in Any Way Or the labor for doing the work! And told me that mine weren't "As Bad As Some!" I like to use my brakes going forward for a short time before going in reverse because that does take some of the noise away. I'm serious in telling you this because when the dealer told me about the No Guarantee on the parts Or labor I just about "Lost It!" But at least I didn't drop any money on a wasted brake job!

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

The pads hang on pins that with time get notched and pads don't move when changing direction. Worth checking them and replacing them
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The back up and squeak thing was "normal" on both my 2008 GS and 2009 RS. Even more noticeable if I rode in the rain the day before.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine does that and has since new
    Dave

\
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    Bought my 2008 SE5 GS new in Spring 2009. since owning it, when backing up, rolling down inclined driveway, there is a banshee like squeal. I frequently hose down the wheels/brakes with Simple Green and with Spray Brake dust remover...no help. I've asked service mgrs at 5 difference dealers and get the same response "that's common with Spyders". Has 26,000 miles and brake pads are ok. doesn't squeal when braking going forward

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Brake Quiet worked on my 09 RS, same issue.

Spyder Garage

I'm the proud owner of a new-to-me 2012 RT A&C and the front pads squeal while in reverse backing down my driveway. It's a little annoying but I think it's perfectly normal for disk brakes. So far no noise in normal forward driving/braking and the stopping power is excellent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the song of our people!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow