Thread: 2012 RT Touring

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Touring

Looking at my 2012 after repair notice othe side where the fan is located it's a open hole compared to the other side were thier is a decorative grill covering opening. Is this correct. Looking at other newer spyders at the dealer ship thier were covers on both . Service claim it didn't existsides ?IMG_2476.jpgIMG_2475.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Lost

I'm sure it left the factory with covers on both sides. Somewhere along the line after that one got "lost".
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's the way our 2012 RTL came, no cover on the right.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I think all prior to 2014 had no grill. I installed a 2014 grill on my 2013. Very easy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo View Post
    Looking at my 2012 after repair notice othe side where the fan is located it's a open hole compared to the other side were thier is a decorative grill covering opening. Is this correct. Looking at other newer spyders at the dealer ship thier were covers on both . Service claim it didn't existsides ?IMG_2476.jpgIMG_2475.jpg
    If you look at the bottom back there is a hole and that's were the piece sets into, it's a piece of plastic and just sits in there, it's only there to let the heat out, not needed but if your like me like too have the item in place.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thats the way the 2012's are. No grill. You can get a grill for it from BRP. Search for 2014 right side grill and block off plate. I put one on my 2012. Trim off a little on one side and it fits perfectly.

Edit: I believe the part number is 705004803 Here is a picture of it.

Last edited by Bam Bam and Pebbles; 05-06-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo View Post
    Recently bought a pristine 2012 RT Limited for my charming wife and noticed the same thing. Went back to the dealer and said a piece appeared to be missing. Both service reps smiled and said, almost simultaneously, "the right side grill?" When I said yes, they told me (and apparently a lot of other owners) it came from the factory like that.

After riding it to see what I thought of the Seal foot boards it came with when we bought it, and roasting my right foot in the process, I ordered an "upper right radiator exhaust block-off plate" ($32.00) from Lamonster. Although it's shiny black rather than the egg crate style on the left side, it works as advertised. The lower exhaust vent remains open. The only fly in the ointment is that on the 2012 model it is necessary to remove the underside nylon panel (as is stated in the installation instructions) to provide adequate open area for heat to exit. I also drilled four two inch diameter holes in the inner nylon panel (recommended in another post on the forum) and the engine runs as cool as ever and no longer roasts the right foot. Worth the effort, although removing the under-the-bike nylon panel isn't quite as simple as the instructions would lead one to believe (at least not me). Still, it is worth the effort because my spouse is happy.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your dealer is correct: the RH side opening on ALL of the 998 bikes never had a grille...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I own a 2013 RT and no grill. Is this causing problem if we add one?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP probably left that grille out, in an attempt to maximize airflow through the radiator...
    While I doubt that a grille would affect it much: I wouldn't add one.

FloorBoards.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I added the 2014 factory one to both of our 2011's. No issues at all. Looks much better.

Heat-wise was no issue, but we also installed JT's air filter and the cat-bypass. Bike's run nice and cool.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

As mentioned above, the 998's did not come with factory grills on the right. I was fooled early on, (2008). I went down to the dealer in stealth mode to check out the floor models, just to see if I had been shorted. Not. I had 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 and did not see a need for grills on the right side, so never tried to get a fix.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BernardD View Post
    I own a 2013 RT and no grill. Is this causing problem if we add one?
    I added the 2014 grill and lower block-off plate to mine with absolutely no problem at all. That grill is not going to block much heat, and you can always cut away the lower block-off section, if you want.

Since I have highway pegs, I was still getting a lot of heat on my right foot while using the pegs, even after the recall. So I blocked off the grill as well, and drilled several large holes in the floor of that little compartment for the heat to escape. Still no problems at all, but now the right foot heat problem is gone. More info HERE, in my mods section. (I may not have done this second mod of blocking off the grill on the 2012 model, but it worked fine on the 2013 model post recall modifications for heat.)
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-06-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Right side grill

I purchased a used 2012 RT, had it shipped to Ohio from Nevada. When it arrived I thought the same thing. Went to the local Can Am dealer and was informed they came without a grill. Purchased the Lamonster heat shield and it works and looks great.

2012 RT A&C, 2 Rear Speakers, Chrome Upgrades, Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Corbin Custom Leather Seat,
    Kurykan Iso Handle Bars, Driver floorboards and foot pegs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I'm sure it left the factory with covers on both sides. Somewhere along the line after that one got "lost".

Nope. Thats how they are.