Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I wonder why you started on the west side of NY state?

The spot wall of page breaks it up in days. After we are finished it will have the complete route.

Spyder Garage

Default iba

Good luck to you. Not my idea of fun. Not my idea of being safe. But again - be safe, be happy.

Spyder Garage

You are chugging right along. Glad the trailer malfunction didn't cause any more then a little time loss. Good. DGoebel what are you going to build up for your rides. How do you "get in shape" for this?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just Got Our Patch

We just had our Ride in April Certified for the SS1000 Mile in California! They even have a unique patch for rides completed in California! As for training, we took several long rides prior to our Iron Butt to help build stamina. We have also spent a lot of time in the Gym to just get in shape so that the toll paid of just getting tired was not that great. The key is planning the route and time. You want to travel on interstates and state highways as much a service possible, avoid road construction zones, plan your gas stops at about 100 miles or so. Also pack all the food and beverages you will need. This really cuts down on the length of your stops. We made sandwiches and ate a half when we got hungry. Our stops were never longer than 20 minutes. BTW, we had plenty of time to see the sites wherever we went, and it was a blast!IMG_0057.jpgthis was the half way point! Colorado River in the background.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I wonder why you started on the west side of NY state?
    Good for you, I did the 48 10 2 years ago, and I just completed the 4 corners tour, Awesome ride enjoy and be safe.
    IBA # 61125
    Saddle Sore 1000
    Bun Burner 1500
    1st one to do 48/10 on a Spyder
    4 Corner Finisher
    SCMA Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    You are chugging right along. Glad the trailer malfunction didn't cause any more then a little time loss. Good. DGoebel what are you going to build up for your rides. How do you "get in shape" for this?
    Pegasus1300, If I was 20 again, I'd have just hopped on the Spyder and done it... but at 59 I had to plan ahead a little more...<G> the IBA website http://www.ironbutt.com/ Has a nice FAQ area where they have a lot of tips for newbies like me. Most Notably is the Archive of Wisdom : 26 Tips and Techniques from IBR Veterans
    Started riding 200 mile Saturdays, working up doing longer and longer days, decafinating (SP?) and hydrating. Working up with doing the Smackdab ride in June where we'll do 675 Miles sunup to sundown, but over 1700 miles in three days. That's 2 weeks before we try our first IBA SS1K on July 5th.

Check the Rides section https://www.ironbutt.org/rides/ they list the different rides / lengths Where for example the link to the Saddlesore/BunBurner rides then has further details.
    I also went and just did a search for Preparing for an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 ride and found many links like http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/wha...-24-1719287134
    As well as Saddlesore 1000 Tips from a pro (Time Management, Time Management, Time Management)
    and Ride Ct's Preparing for an Iron Butt article

If after all this learning, working up to it, I'm not in shape, then I'm just gonna curl up and sleep it off, and try again... 'Cause I want to...
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

It is something I have thought about too for years but if I don't do it soon,I wont be able to. Thanks for the tips and links.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Psssssssst

Don't tell anyone but, especially on a Spyder, it's not all that hard!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post

Or truck drivers we spend a lot of time behind the wheel. But this is for fun

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have had a BB Gold planned for a couple of years: 1500 in 24 hours. Plan is to do it on my 2-wheeler as less energy would be needed. Challenge is to plan the dark riding to reduce critter conflict probability and benefit from sun angle management.

God luck with your 48 10.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I am curious as to why you believe that there is less energy expended on a two wheeler? It would seem to me the other way around. The spyder allows you to not be concerned about certain hazards on the road and you don't have to hold it up when you do stop. The BB is next for us as well, don't know if we could doo the gold though. Sure we could!! Good luck on your BB1500!

Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Don't tell anyone but, especially on a Spyder, it's not all that hard!
    I bought my 1st cycle (a Spyder RTL) in Jul 2012 (71 years old at the time). I joined a group IBA 1000/24 ride the following Nov. In my case, I was more concerned about the physical aspects than the mental aspects. I was fairly confident that staying awake would not be a major challenge for me, having done that hundreds of times before retiring. But I really had no idea what it might be like staying on the back of the Spyder for that long. I also had some concerns with the idea of riding with such a large group (30-40). turns out this was a none issue within a few hours into the ride.

I was the last one to arrive at the finish point. 6 or 7 two wheels had gotten there 10 or 15 minutes before me, and were standing around discussing the ride. What was so interesting though is that they all seemed to be exhausted and sore, but I was not. After being off the Spyder for a minute or so, I was not even stiff.

That big difference was the result of the Spyder, not me. The anxiety I had felt before the start was for nought. I almost felt that I had cheated by riding the Spyder instead of a 2 wheeler.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default 1000 miles away riding

Guys,
    That sounds like fun, I know you can do it, but as you get older as I have, you will learn to slow down and take time to smell the roses along the way!
    First, I am concerned that my new Spyder's reliability being good enough to make such a long trip! Second, what each day's long ride would drain out of my body! This is my second Spyder, and I am still concerned over riding too far from my home or the Dealership! I have always rode Yamaha's and Harley's and would go thousands of miles with no concerns of bike failure, but on this site, I see so many problems others are having and the problems I am having with this new 2016, that I have a real concern over Spyder's reliability! I have ask for help thru the Dealer and personally to BRP with no response! We are leaving on a 4 day Memorial Day trip this Friday to the mountains of GA, NC, and TN. I hope things go well and I will feel better about my Spyder! I know all brands have their problems, go to their forums and you can read about them, but I have never had a problem with them, and I am with this new Spyder!
    I hope you have a wonderful and save trip that you can report on when you return! Save riding, we all on the site care about you!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys,
    That sounds like fun, I know you can do it, but as you get older as I have, you will learn to slow down and take time to smell the roses along the way!
    First, I am concerned that my new Spyder's reliability being good enough to make such a long trip! Second, what each day's long ride would drain out of my body! This is my second Spyder, and I am still concerned over riding too far from my home or the Dealership! I have always rode Yamaha's and Harley's and would go thousands of miles with no concerns of bike failure, but on this site, I see so many problems others are having and the problems I am having with this new 2016, that I have a real concern over Spyder's reliability! I have ask for help thru the Dealer and personally to BRP with no response! We are leaving on a 4 day Memorial Day trip this Friday to the mountains of GA, NC, and TN. I hope things go well and I will feel better about my Spyder! I know all brands have their problems, go to their forums and you can read about them, but I have never had a problem with them, and I am with this new Spyder!
    I hope you have a wonderful and save trip that you can report on when you return! Save riding, we all on the site care about you!!
    Well we only went 500 miles away, and then came back. There were only 3 of us and we were all on Spyder so. I am sure that this trip coming up for you will put confidence back in you and you will feel better about your ryde!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    I bought my 1st cycle (a Spyder RTL) in Jul 2012 (71 years old at the time). I joined a group IBA 1000/24 ride the following Nov. In my case, I was more concerned about the physical aspects than the mental aspects. I was fairly confident that staying awake would not be a major challenge for me, having done that hundreds of times before retiring. But I really had no idea what it might be like staying on the back of the Spyder for that long. I also had some concerns with the idea of riding with such a large group (30-40). turns out this was a none issue within a few hours into the ride.

I was the last one to arrive at the finish point. 6 or 7 two wheels had gotten there 10 or 15 minutes before me, and were standing around discussing the ride. What was so interesting though is that they all seemed to be exhausted and sore, but I was not. After being off the Spyder for a minute or so, I was not even stiff.

That big difference was the result of the Spyder, not me. The anxiety I had felt before the start was for nought. I almost felt that I had cheated by riding the Spyder instead of a 2 wheeler.

Tom
    Agree Tom, we ended our SS1000 50 miles from home, and the last 50 was as easy as the first. The key is planning!

Spyder Garage

Default Good Luck CMA/IBA Rider

Enjoying the live map and your progress around the country! I am especially impressed with how you ride that GREEN motorcycle backwards. I look forward to when you can start riding frontways from the west coast to east Good travels and enjoy your accomplishments!!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

CMA/IBA Rider, keep plugging away, I've seen you're taking about 5 hour nighttime rests. Have you been making reservations for sleep stops, or are you just picking a camping spot along the way?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default WHY

BUT WHY....??????????
    i have never been able to wrap my mind around something like this... all one sees is pavement.... i find it more beneficial to take my time, and view the surrounding areas... YES, i would love to say i rode all of the 48 States, but in my book, it would take me 48 weeks...
    however, that said; BEST OF LUCK on your journey, and most of all, ride safely....
    to each their own...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    BUT WHY....??????????
    i have never been able to wrap my mind around something like this... all one sees is pavement.... i find it more beneficial to take my time, and view the surrounding areas... YES, i would love to say i rode all of the 48 States, but in my book, it would take me 48 weeks...
    however, that said; BEST OF LUCK on your journey, and most of all, ride safely....
    to each their own...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    That fits into the cliche "if you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand". If you're looking at pavement, you'll be hypnotized. Look around. There's plenty of time. There's so much more to see and experience.

My personal best is 1100 mi in 17 hours at a relatively relaxed pace. Those of enjoy the challenge.
    Last edited by pauly1; 05-23-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Dan P, SPYD3R, apparently you haven't been reading this thread since it's beginning, if you do, you'll likely understand the OP's and others answers to your own question (Which was also asked earlier by kickinbar).
    Why would someone buy a Spyder and only drive it around town, never taking it on a journey, some do just that and they're happy.

CMA/IBA_rider is happy, just as happy planning this exceptional journey (Many, many riders wouldn't be able to even figure out the route let alone do the task) as he is taking the journey. He's planned in photo opportunities and likely will complete his mission.

It IS his thing and I (merely one of 60,000+ IBA folks) aspire to try a smidgen of his long distance multi-day, multi-state in my retirement years. Because we want to and believe we CAN.

Ride ON CMA/IBA_rider, Ride On, or as Matt says Ride On, Ride On, Ride On........
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-24-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Highlights
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Im having a good time following

Im jealous that I cant be out there with you, keep the posts coming!
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You are doing a great job. Bruce

Spyder Garage

Default CONTRARY

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Dan P, SPYD3R, apparently you haven't been reading this thread since it's beginning, if you do, you'll likely understand the OP's and others answers to your own question (Which was also asked earlier by kickinbar).
    Why would someone buy a Spyder and only drive it around town, never taking it on a journey, some do just that and they're happy.

CMA/IBA_rider is happy, just as happy planning this exceptional journey (Many, many riders wouldn't be able to even figure out the route let alone do the task) as he is taking the journey. He's planned in photo opportunities and likely will complete his mission.

It IS his thing and I (merely one of 60,000+ IBA folks) aspire to try a smidgen of his long distance multi-day, multi-state in my retirement years. Because we want to and believe we CAN.

Ride ON CMA/IBA_rider, Ride On, or as Matt says Ride On, Ride On, Ride On........
    on the contrary DG.... i've done multiple X-countries, and leaving July 10th on another.... i've put 36,000+ MILES of SMILES on my '15 F3 since March of '15, and have well over 100,000 miles on SPYD3RS.... so i'm NOT sitting around.... as for not reading all the threads here... yes i have, but like it said initially, I CAN'T WRAP MY HEAD AROUND this type of riding.... irregardless of what others say, think or do, i'm at a loss to come to grips with doing that kind of riding... and as i also said, TO EACH HIS OWN..... i'm thinking that you didn't comprehend my post in it's entirety...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Each person is different. I see the sites from the seat of my motorcycle, and prefer to ryde and not stop! We all have to stop sometime, I just prefer to be moving!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Time to let it go SPYD3R.

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500