Spyder Garage

Default Hooking up Garmin 590 on F3T

Getting ready to install harness for the Garmin 590 on the F3T model. Which side is best and any color code or point me to a switched positive/negative wire I can tap into for power.
    Buckskin
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Getting ready to install harness for the Garmin 590 on the F3T model. Which side is best and any color code or point me to a switched positive/negative wire I can tap into for power.
    Buckskin

Right side remove seat and side panels this is the GPS connection plug that comes when key is in on position before motor is started.

12 volt power socket copy.jpg

Spyder Garage

That looks somewhat familiar. I had RT Limited for a few months and hooked up Garmin harness. One question though. The new harness I have has some pigtails and a positive and negative wire. No connector on them. That picture shows a female connector and I wonder how to mate that up? Not likely to find male connector to mate up. Suggest cutting off that connector and think I have some nice male/female connectors to replace. I don't need to hook up any of the other pigtail connector to the bike that might correspond to them?
    Buckskin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Right side remove seat and side panels this is the GPS connection plug that comes when key is in on position before motor is started.

2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hi

Just did it on my 2016 F3T. Since 2016 it is on the left side, same place. There is no connector. You have to find the wire with shrink wrap and connect from there.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Spyder Garage

Uh oh? Now I'm confused. One shows picture on right side and you have same bike I have that you say is on the left side and no connector at all. I'll look for the shrink wrap. Just positive and negative wires and nothing else from Garmin harness is hooked up.
    Did you mount Garmin on the center handlebar clamp? How did you route the Garmin wire? I see little clearance on each side of the handlebar clamp, is that enough to run wire though and no issues with wire rubbing? Or did you have to grind away a slot to tuck wire in?
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by 50sCrisis View Post
    Hi

Just did it on my 2016 F3T. Since 2016 it is on the left side, same place. There is no connector. You have to find the wire with shrink wrap and connect from there.

Hope this help.

Regards,
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hi,

I have the Garmin mount on the center handlebar clamp. I routed the wires on the right side of the steering opening without having to cut anything. It is thight but with patience it will get in. Then, using the right side opening you can route the wires on top of the steering line and pull then to the left side. Finally you have to attach that bunch of wires to the left side frame and connect.

D94DA9C1-4936-4339-BAF1-272D4CEED4D7.jpg

Have a nice day,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 50sCrisis; 05-06-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

I was hoping that opening would be enough to route the cable through. So no chaffing or obstruction turning the handlebars? Run under the right side and then make it over to the left side and that shrink wrapped wire...
    Thanks for the help.
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by 50sCrisis View Post
    Hi,

I have the Garmin mount on the center handlebar clamp. I routed the wires on the right side of the steering opening without having to cut anything. It is thight but with patience it will get in. Then, using the right side opening you can route the wires on top of the steering line and pull then to the left side. Finally you have to attach that bunch of wires to the left side frame and connect.

D94DA9C1-4936-4339-BAF1-272D4CEED4D7.jpg

Have a nice day,
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hi,

No obstruction when turming the steering. Just past the steering opning there is some sort of a hook that the right handle cable goes through. Push in the GPS cable so it will clear the steering shaft.

Regards,

Spyder Garage

Bruce, turns out the connector you show is now on the left side. I got the corresponding male connector I soldered up on he Garmin harness and ready to plug in. I checked the connector for power when the key turned on and it's a go. Now, I have a little what I think is a 3.5 male plug that is in a white/clear boot just waiting to plug into something. The seems to be a corresponding connector on the Garmin Harness that might plug into that one. Anyone got an idea of what it is and should I connect it?

UPDATE......I looked on the Garmin harness, and there are two female plugs that the male on the bike plugs right into them. One is labeled Audio In and Audio Out. Which if any should I plug that male into? I in doing so, will this give me voice from the Garmin? I thought this would be done by Bluetooth.
    BuckskinIMG_0383.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post

Last edited by Buckskin; 05-23-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

That 3.5 mm phono plug on the Spyder plugs into the corresponding plug on the gps harness. That way the turn by turn directions will come out the Spyders' speakers.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the confirmation.
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    That 3.5 mm phono plug on the Spyder plugs into the corresponding plug on the gps harness. That way the turn by turn directions will come out the Spyders' speakers.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm reviving an old thread for a couple of quick questions. Is this what the wiring harness looks like for the Garmin 590 mount from BRP or does BRP's come with the power plug that attaches to the bike? If it doesn't come with the plug, does anyone know where to order the plug and pins that match up to the female power plug on the bike?

Just an FYI for anyone wanting to add the Garmin 590 to their bike. The harness pictured above is included in the box with the 590 when you buy it on Amazon. Retail is $799. BRP charges $750 for the unit and $250 for the cradle above. Looks like at least a $200 savings (more if you catch it on sale) plus free 2 day shipping with "Prime".
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I'm reviving an old thread for a couple of quick questions. Is this what the wiring harness looks like for the Garmin 590 mount from BRP or does BRP's come with the power plug that attaches to the bike? If it doesn't come with the plug, does anyone know where to order the plug and pins that match up to the female power plug on the bike?

Just an FYI for anyone wanting to add the Garmin 590 to their bike. The harness pictured above is included in the box with the 590 when you buy it on Amazon. Retail is $799. BRP charges $750 for the unit and $250 for the cradle above. Looks like at least a $200 savings (more if you catch it on sale) plus free 2 day shipping with "Prime".
    anyone out there that has bought or installed BRP's version of the Garmin Zumo 590 with the intagrated harness on their bike?

Spyder Garage

I installed the above harness and connected the two leads directly to the battery using crimped on lugs that fit over the posts. The Garmin turns on as soon as it's placed in the mount. Had it mounted for over a year with no problem. I turn the Garmin off whenever I stop but the battery drain if left on is insignificant.

Rick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    I installed the above harness and connected the two leads directly to the battery using crimped on lugs that fit over the posts. The Garmin turns on as soon as it's placed in the mount. Had it mounted for over a year with no problem. I turn the Garmin off whenever I stop but the battery drain if left on is insignificant.

Rick
    Thanks Rick! Did you buy the harness from BRP or another source? I would really like to use the factory plug for a keyed power source. If BRP's harness is the exact same, I will try finding the male side of the factory plug. Worst case, I will run a relay off of another keyed power source to accomplish the same thing. The factory plug would be the best option tho.

Spyder Garage

I found the instructions online. They are for installing the Garmin 590 harness on an F3.

http://instructions.brp.com/content/...mber=219400681

They didn't completely answer my questions tho. It appears that there is a plug on the power connector that attaches to the radio harness (#2 in the picture below). That plug is not included with the Garmin 590 if you buy the universal kit (MSPR $799). BRP charges $749 for the Garmin 590 and $249 for the harness and mounting kit.

Models With a Radio
    Connect the GPS harness to the radio harness as follows.

1. GPS audio IN (capped)
    2. GPS power connector (connected to radio harness)
    3. GPS audio OUT (connected to radio harness and isolated using [P12])

The harness from BRP comes as a kit. I plan to use a different mounting option. Due to using a different mount, all I would need from the $250 kit that BRP sells would be the male plug that attaches to the factory stereo harness pictured above. I was able to find that plug on Cheap Cycle Parts. Part number and price listed below. I am going to call them and find out if the terminals and seal are included with the housing or if I need to order them separately. If I do, I will post those part numbers as well. Hopefully this will help someone else save a few bucks in the future.

$11.98
    Male Terminal Housing, 2 Circuits
    item: 409209400
    qty: 1 @ $11.98

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Uh oh? Now I'm confused. One shows picture on right side and you have same bike I have that you say is on the left side and no connector at all. I'll look for the shrink wrap. Just positive and negative wires and nothing else from Garmin harness is hooked up.
    Did you mount Garmin on the center handlebar clamp? How did you route the Garmin wire? I see little clearance on each side of the handlebar clamp, is that enough to run wire though and no issues with wire rubbing? Or did you have to grind away a slot to tuck wire in?
    Buckskin
    I have a 2017, would that year be on the left side???

Don