Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My SpyderFest 2017

Well, I've been home a week now, and have had time to process my 2017 SpyderFest experience - what there was of it. It's too bad the weather didn't cooperate better, but I can say I saw some old faces (not just in age ) and some new. Like many say, you meet up with about a thousand of your closest friends, but no one will remember your name. So to all my newer friends, I'm sorry I can't name you all specifically. But I really enjoyed your company.

I had only 3 goals for this year:
    1. Vendor Village: don't buy anything except an event t-shirt,
    2. eat with Mike (Blueknight911) at Rib Crib, and
    3. ryde to Peel's Ferry with Mike.

VENDOR VILLAGE

It seemed like there were fewer attendees this year. I suspect it was because many folks were budgeting their time and money to go to Homecoming next month, instead. There were definitely fewer vendors in the exhibit hall. Lamonster was set up at his own location in Nixa. ISCI wasn't there, nor was Extreme Kempy (I think that's the name; they sell gear and are always fun to shop at). BRP had a big presence at Vendor Village, with a wheel-of-fortune type game and small give-aways. But they didn't bring the big truck full of Can-Am clothes and gear. I guess that's good for me. (See #1, above.) On the other hand, they had some nice comfy couches in a carpeted area. A good place to relax and rest my feet.

I noticed a couple new vendors. Some guys took photos of folks before their guided rydes, and had 8x10 prints available the next day. They also had other types of photo products available. That was a good business idea, and I wish I'd thought of it myself. There was also a RV/houseboat on display. It's a narrow houseboat, that doesn't exceed the 8.5' width limit for the highway. It was really nice inside.

I had some fun conversations with folks at Vendor Village. I got a big bullet from MachineGunner. I got some hugs. I caught up with the stories of some of the people I'd previously met. I had breakfast with Vanessa on Wednesday morning and met her newest baby and learned more about PitBull's expansion plans.

I did buy an event t-shirt, but then I also bought 2 more at the GOS table. All-in-all I think I did OK on my first goal.

EAT
    The theme here is definitely BBQ! People who arrived Tuesday or sooner, met up at the Rib Crib for all-you-can-eat ribs on Tuesday evening. I walked through a couple times looking for Mike but didn't see him, so i shared a table with some SF newbies. Mike told me later that he was there; this experience and trying to locate him the next day makes me conclude that Mike has the power to become invisible!

Wednesday evening was supposed to be at the fairgrounds with BBQ (!), Spyder games and lawn-mower races. But because of the rain the games and races were canceled and the BBQ was moved to the Lamplighter - cooking and serving outside and eating inside. In this case BBQ meant "cook-out" with burgers and brats. [Note to MoGang: start the brats cooking much earlier so they'll be more thoroughly cooked.] Again, I looked for Mike, and couldn't find him. He must have had his invisibility power engaged.

Thursday evening's meal was pulled-pork BBQ at the American Legion. It was really good, as were the beans they served with it. It was followed by good live music. Lucky for us, the rain didn't start until later that night.

I can't speak to the food the rest of the event as I went home on Friday.

RYDE

Mike finally got ahold of me by cell-phone message from someone else's phone. I met him and seven others at the BWCH and we headed for Hwy 125 to Peel's Ferry. A few things I learned:
    1. your GPS provides a map to navigate by, even when you don't give a destination to go to, saving having to stop and pull out a paper map now and then.
    2. Mike's name should be "Jack" as in jack-rabbit for the way he jumps out from stop lights.
    3. Double yellow lines do not mean no passing in Vermont (!)
    4. Twisties are much much much much . . . much more fun on my F3T than on my previous RTS. On the RT, I had to slide my butt across the seat to help counter the turn and I sometimes felt like I was only tenuously connected to the Spyder as the centrifugal forces worked against me. On my F3T, it's like I am part of the bike and I never was concerned with navigating the turns or crossing into the other lane. The only time I was concerned was once when there was gravel on the road. I'd love to do a timed ride on a twisty course on an RT and then again on my F3T.

As many have already reported, the rain on Friday looked like it would move out by the afternoon, but the forecast for Saturday was dire. So I got myself west on Friday, riding out of the trailing edge of the storm. Then as I rode north toward home, it got cool again and started to drizzle just as I pulled in. I'm sorry I had to cut the trip short, but I really had a good time at SF this year and will definitely be there next year.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 05-04-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I PROMISE, it is happening next year. I had just too many weddings, and funerals, and just stupid busy spring,
    so haven't been ryding like I want.

It really sounded like fun.

oh, one other thing, I have no choice but to comment on the one thing you mentioned about Mike ?

"Mike's name should be "Jack" as in jack-rabbit for the way he jumps out from stop lights."

Even though I always went on Green, leaving a second too soon one day , 3 blocks from Anaheim Stadium, Just about killed my
    Dad (on back) and me. Lucky to only be hospitalized for a while.

I know that you all rode safe, because that's what we all do. Right ? Thanks again for the report.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the positive write up on your SF experiences PrairieSpyder.

Weather can sure be an issue for a great event that is held outdoors. It is good to see you made the most of it anyway.

And you are right. It is all about meeting up with new people and friends who become memories and friends forever.

We still have fond memories of the whole group who visited with us two years ago. Time sure does fly by quickly. We must all enjoy it while and when we can.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-04-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDERFEST 2017

Hi Patti , Mike ( Jack -rabbit ) here. At Rib Crib I only missed hooking up by a few minutes at most .... I tried to get there earlier, but setting up my ( sad home - made RV ) in 50 mph winds took longer than T expected .... plus I didn't know you were there already ....... But it was damn good ...... and as far as the ride went .... I don't impress easily ..... BUT DAMN GIRL - YOU CAN FLY ...... many Kudo's ...... of course I only had my lowly RT to try and keep up with you with ......... Too bad you guy's left for Lamont's .... County Road " H " is probably the " Twistyest " road I was on all day ( no BS-ing ). Glad we could ride together, looking forward to meeting again ( if you can make it ) at Homecoming........ Ann & Joe are thinking about doing an " Alignment " party at my house right after the event...... I may be doing oil changes ( but not filter ) for those that will need them...... Mike

Spyder Garage

My thanks too for the good write up. I hated to miss it this year, except for the rain, but an unexpected medical trip to TX in February ate my Spyderfest budget -- am piling up the bucks for Red Rocks now. It's very depressing to read and see about all the flooding.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hi Patti , Mike ( Jack -rabbit ) here. At Rib Crib I only missed hooking up by a few minutes at most .... I tried to get there earlier, but setting up my ( sad home - made RV ) in 50 mph winds took longer than T expected .... plus I didn't know you were there already ....... But it was damn good ...... and as far as the ride went .... I don't impress easily ..... BUT DAMN GIRL - YOU CAN FLY ...... many Kudo's ...... of course I only had my lowly RT to try and keep up with you with ......... Too bad you guy's left for Lamont's .... County Road " H " is probably the " Twistyest " road I was on all day ( no BS-ing ). Glad we could ride together, looking forward to meeting again ( if you can make it ) at Homecoming........ Ann & Joe are thinking about doing an " Alignment " party at my house right after the event...... I may be doing oil changes ( but not filter ) for those that will need them...... Mike
    After I left the Rib Crib, I rode by your truck at the campground, but you weren't there. It did look sad in the drizzle. Even though we missed each other, the ribs were great. And that was a fun ryde, wasn't it? We'll have to make that an annual thing. I love ryding my F3T on those twisties. I don't think I've ever enjoyed Spydering as much as that.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

You definitely need some serious riding skills to keep up with Mike. I found that out last year!

Glad you had a good time and got home safely. Too bad about the weather but that's two years in a row now. So next year will be much better, right?

See you at Homecoming?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited