Spyder Garage

Default New Member, purchasing 2011 Spyder RSS, couple questions

Hello all, I am New to the forum, plus I am new to owning a Spyder. I live in Ohio, and I am purchasing a 2011 Spyder RSS with 14,000 miles for $9,100. I do have a couple questions, is that a good price and is there anything I need to look for or be aware of when looking and test driving this before purchasing? It does have the following, 3 windshields,a back rest, risers on the handle bars, extensions on the passenger foot pegs, and two covers, trailer hitch. I attached a pic.

Thanks in advance, Luke
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Nice machine for sure! Relax your grip! Hopefully it's going to be a long enough test ride so that you can adjust to it and get comfortable. I think the price is fair.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Not sure but check if steering DPS recall was done.

Spyder Garage

I appreciate the reply's, so there is nothing specific to that year or model I need to worry about or check/ask before purchasing?

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is a fair price on that year and model, and like above relax don't ride it like it has 2 wheels
    no counter steering, ride a while and get used to it .
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bad-Day View Post
    I appreciate the reply's, so there is nothing specific to that year or model I need to worry about or check/ask before purchasing?

Spyder Garage

You can get a history on the machine by having any dealer run the VIN #.

Read the do's and don'ts thread--lots of good information there.

and on your purchase.

Here is the link: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    That is a fair price on that year and model, and like above relax don't ride it like it has 2 wheels
    no counter steering, ride a while and get used to it .
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Hello all, I am New to the forum, plus I am new to owning a Spyder. I live in Ohio, and I am purchasing a 2011 Spyder RSS with 14,000 miles for $9,100. I do have a couple questions, is that a good price and is there anything I need to look for or be aware of when looking and test driving this before purchasing? It does have the following, 3 windshields,a back rest, risers on the handle bars, extensions on the passenger foot pegs, and two covers, trailer hitch. I attached a pic.

Thanks in advance, Luke
    Just to put things in perspective:

I am 71 years old, own a 2011 RS-S SE5 with 32000 miles with the only changes being the next size up from stock windshield, and FOX suspension. The bars are stock height, and frankly, I can't imagine any reason to raise them. (BTW, a 500 mile day isn't out of the question for me.)

Luke, the real thing is to not pay toooo much attention to some of the stuff on here, and experiment to make the ride YOUR OWN!

Oh, yeah, I forgot...... A BAJARON sway bar, heated grips, air horn, and a throttle-lock. Won't get into tires here. (a whole 'nuther can of worms)
    Last edited by kep-up; 05-05-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default No answers

I can't answer any of your questions, but it looks like a pretty sharp ride.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I appreciate all the advice.. How comfortable will the be compared stock, will I be able to ride it two on small trips 350 miles away?

Spyder Garage

I had a 2011 RS, outstanding machine, and it already has the handlebar risers which I feel you need. Buy it!
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

Looking at the picture from what I can see it looks very tidy and in good condition.

The changes that have been made are the very very common ones to improve its highway cruising capability. I suspect you'll also probably find the Swaybar has also been changed just because that would tie in with the other changes you mention.

You may find you'll get a bit of wind buffering to your head with the risers and the higher screen but as you've got three screens to play with you'll no doubt find one that's right. You may also need to play with the bar riser position to get it right for you

Your pillion will like the backrest and extensions on the foot pegs.

There are two main versions of the RS 2008-2012 and 2013-onwards. The earlier ones like this have the more rev'y engine. This means you need to keep the revs a bit higher to keep it happy and it drinks more petrol as a result but it's also quicker than the later engine. Personally I prefer the older ones like this:-)

I have an 2011 RS which is completely standard and do iron butt rallies on mine so 350 mile journeys shouldn't be any problem.

RS's are probably the most reliable of the Spyder models but one thing to check is the struts on the rear fender. These often crack at either the top or the bottom, they are quite easy to get fixed and strengthened so its not a show stopper but something to keep an eye on.

Spyder Garage

I purchased it over the weekend, and my wife and I rode it about an hour. So far I really like it. I am still trying to figure out how to take curves with it (dont know how or if to lean). I do wish the exhaust was a bit louder, does anyone have any mods for that?
    Last edited by Bad-Day; 05-08-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

I purchased it over the weekend, and my wife and I rode it about an hour. So far I really like it. I am still trying to figure out how to take curves with it (dont know how or if to lean). I do wish the exhaust was a bit louder, does anyone have any mods for that?
    Get you a HMF exhaust. Not very expensive and has a good sound. Here is the one I put on my wifes bike and hers is the same color as yours.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HMF-Can-Am-B...FS~BbD&vxp=mtr
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 05-08-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome from Columbus OH

Congrats on your Spyder and welcome from TricLED.com @Dublin Ohio!!

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

RS I have a 2012 over 60,000 miles and enjoyed every mile. this is the best place to get you question answered everyone is very helpful jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    RS I have a 2012 over 60,000 miles and enjoyed every mile. this is the best place to get you question answered everyone is very helpful jtpollock
    i also have the exact ride and the same color. Love it. The only problem I had was the seat, it was very uncomfortable as it leans the body forward so I ordered the ultimate seat with driver backrest and now have a new problem, I don't want to get off. Man what a difference it made to the ride and it also gives the passenger more room. I also added the back trunk and side bags. Enjoy your spyder. Love mine at 73.

Spyder Garage

&
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try this, works for me. As you go through a right hand turn apply pressure to the pegs with your left leg and push with your left hand while pulling gently with the right hand, and yes I lean my upper body into the turn. Sounds like a lot going on, but after a while it just comes naturally!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.