Spyder Garage

Default Elka shock install - verification...

Since there was not much info to be found on installing the Elka shocks, I just wanted to verify from those that have them that I put them in right. From the one video I saw at Pitbull (where I got them), it said Schrader valve at the bottom and rebound adjustment screw facing rear of Spyder. I believe I did that. To get the rebound screw facing rear, the Schrader valve is facing up on one side and down on the other. Is this right?

20170503_203312.jpg20170503_203322.jpg20170503_203338.jpg20170503_203357.jpg20170503_195656.jpg

And... I know I did not have to take frunk off but since I'm doing shocks, foglights and some wiring to the battery, etc (as well as opportunity to clean radiator) I think it was worth it to make things alot easier...
    Last edited by SpyderSteveFL; 05-03-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

On the RT's the Elkas are installed upside down (opposite of the OEM shocks.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Steve,

I found this video from Pitbull in my shock analysis travels......I don't know if it's the one you saw, but it shows early in the video that it looks the opposite to yours...... I can't imagine it would really matter, and if you watch closely enough each guy initially installs the spring on each side a different way up .....but by the end they are both up the same way as yours.
    I hope this helps....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FU5eoFNTYn4

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yes Pete, thats the video I saw and it actually shows them same as mine, springs up, shrader at bottom. Only issue is on mine 1 schrader was facing out not in. Also found this on Elka site... https://elkasuspension.dozuki.com/Gu...-S+2015-17/106 where it says specifically to put schrader at bottom and facing in. I'm just going to call John at Elka in the morning and get the right answer straight from the horses mouth. Don't know if there is a difference between RT and F3. My understanding is this style shock can actually mount either way and in fact Len even says that in the video.
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Yes Pete, thats the video I saw and it actually shows them same as mine, springs up, shrader at bottom. Only issue is on mine 1 schrader was facing out not in. Also found this on Elka site... https://elkasuspension.dozuki.com/Gu...-S+2015-17/106 where it says specifically to put schrader at bottom and facing in. I'm just going to call John at Elka in the morning and get the right answer straight from the horses mouth. Don't know if there is a difference between RT and F3. My understanding is this style shock can actually mount either way and in fact Len even says that in the video.
    What ? Go to the manufacturer and ask for advice ? You'll get kicked out of the Spyder society.

Fingers crossed that it is in the right way

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Elka shocks

The Schrader valve should be on top both sides. Rebound screw on the bottom facing rear of bike. You may have to put a screw driver into one of the bolt holes to spin the shock so the rebound screw faces the rear.

Since there was not much info to be found on installing the Elka shocks, I just wanted to verify from those that have them that I put them in right. From the one video I saw at Pitbull (where I got them), it said Schrader valve at the bottom and rebound adjustment screw facing rear of Spyder. I believe I did that. To get the rebound screw facing rear, the Schrader valve is facing up on one side and down on the other. Is this right?

20170503_203312.jpg20170503_203322.jpg20170503_203338.jpg20170503_203357.jpg20170503_195656.jpg

And... I know I did not have to take frunk off but since I'm doing shocks, foglights and some wiring to the battery, etc (as well as opportunity to clean radiator) I think it was worth it to make things alot easier...

Spyder Garage

The Pitbull video is all over the map regarding installation.

Also, all the talk they make about the reservoir on the rear shock controlling damping, look again closely, I do not beleive that is a rezzy for the damper, what they call the damper rezzervoir is actually a remote hydraulic preload adjuster.

Gas pressurized shocks can be mounted in any orientation taht allows them to mechanically fit.

The best suspension performance will be shafts down for less unsprung weight.

As for the valves, just grab the shock body and turn the body, no big deal if the were assembled correctly.

Is it me or did Elka overlook the orientation of the decals? With bodies down, the Elka logo appears inverted.

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure you have them right, I'm installing mine tonight and all the info I've gathered lines up with how you have them.
    I 'm also going to remove the frunk, for the time it takes just going to make for an easier install.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Ok, so I spoke to John and here's the scoop. On the RT if you have a newer shock (probably at least the current batch but no real way to verify) the shock can go in either way. On the F3 it has to go spring up/valve down. This is because the spring will bind on the A-Arm.

He did suggest just to be sure, and the way he installs all of them even just out of habit (and to make install easier if not removing frunk) you should mount them with Valve UP, Spring DOWN and Rebound screw facing REAR. With the valve at the top it doesn't matter if it's facing in or out, whatever you feel is more protected - which looks like facing in and down to me. It is safe to rotate it if it is not facing where you want it but it really doesn't matter as long as preload screw is facing rear. The reason preload should face rear is to keep it as clean as possible.

Other tips he mentioned after installing hundreds of these are:

1. Check the rebound screw. It should be -20, which means 20 clicks.
    2. Check the preload while it is in your hand. For the 'average' (yes, they ask you all these questions but 95% of these are put in the same with no adjustments, perhaps if rider is > 300 lb it may need to be adjusted a bit) person preload is set at 1/2". The spring should be 10" long with 1/2" of preload then spring should measure 9.5"
    3. While you have the opportunity with shock in hand or easy access you should loosen the preload adjustment ring screw (just a little - DO NOT REMOVE IT) and using the tool adjust the ring so the allen screw is facing the tire. This will make it much easier if you need to adjust preload later as it would be very difficult to get allen wrench into that screw if it is not very accessible.

It looks to me like I have very little clearance if any between spring and a-arm but he assures me 1000% it is not a problem and will not bind. I also asked him with the rod facing down logic tells me it will be more subject to dirt and debris, he said that is not an issue as there is a wiper seal that 'cleans' the rod every time it compresses and these are designed originally for off-road which is subjected to much more dirt than a road bike - so not to worry.

I'll post new pictures after I flip them and check adjust preload ring. John is more than happy to talk to anyone if they want, with permission is number is 1-800-557-0552 x 257 and he is also happy to come in here and answer any questions if needed.

Hope this helps someone doing it themselves...
    Last edited by SpyderSteveFL; 05-04-2017 at 08:58 AM.

OLD/TRADED

Spyder Garage

Talked to a tech a Elka this morning and he said that the correct way to install them is opposite to the stock shocks, spring down.
    He did say the they have a floating piston so they can be installed either way but spring down is the correct way...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

So then, with shafts down, does ELKA still offer the guards to prevent nicks in the damper shafts?

This same topic about ELKA installation was recently discussed. Don't recall the outcome, but was under the impression ELKA then stated shafts up. But it was for the F3. There is a link for the protector there also.

All the best, whatever you decide Steve.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=Elka

Spyder Garage

Here are the final pics - spring down, rebound facing rear and allen nut on preload ring accessible.
    2017-05-04 11.19.47.jpg2017-05-04 11.19.00.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

OLD/TRADED

Spyder Garage

Lookin' Good Steve!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Sorry you had to redo them, Steve, but are least you know they are right now. Thanks for all the info

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Front shocks are in, ready to take it fora RIP!

Thanks again Steve for the helpful tips, made the install a little easier!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac